Hood w/ CFL Lighting - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-06-2014, 12:17 AM   #16
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote: QUESTION I would like to run both fans off of one single cord but want to check with those more knowledgeable about electrical requirements. Please forgive me if this is incorrect, but I know was of the understanding that one of the measurements for capacity (watts, volts, or amps) is not a measure of the total allowed, but more of a maximum for each individual item. Is that this amps? If so, then it should be fine to run 2 12 amp fans off one 13 amp cord, correct?
I think what you need is this:
Voltage has to match on fans and power supply. 110AC if you want to plug into a wall outlet, etc. I find I like it much better to keep 110Ac away from the tanks when practical. Another factor will be noise. I would suggest one computer fan will run very quiet with less heating and do the job well. So I would go looking for a 12VDC computer fan and then try to find a 12VDC power supply. These may be found in your junk box or a trip to Goodwill might turn one up for a couple dollars. Plug in wall-wart like for charging phones etc?
For a 12VDC fan-- match the 12VDC. anything else on the power supply voltage is not likely to work.
The other important point to match is the output power rating. Aps for large stuff but likely to be rated in milliamps (MA) for small stuff like these fans. Two fans, just add the ratings of each fan together. Make sure the power supply is MORE than the fans require. Lots more is not a problem other than as the power supply rating gets bigger, the unit may get too large (expensive?)

A fan like this in 12VDC might be nice and have the filter available as well. Fry's are not good about listing things like the voltage. But if they were 12VDC using 50Ma then you want a power supply putting out 12VDC and rated 50MA or 100MA for two fans-- at least.
Power supply putting out 1000MA ( equal to 1 amp!) would be able to run 20 fans.
http://www.frys.com/product/6101239#detailed

I also would say you need a way in as out for good air movement. But one fan should do it easy.
Unless you get really, really big fans in 110AC the cord size will not be a problem. But your example of two fans at 12 amp will burn out a 13 amp cord. Just that a 12 amp fan may be four feet across??? Amps are big things when speaking of this type fan.

Last edited by PlantedRich; 08-06-2014 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: added link
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 12:39 AM   #17
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Specs for a computer fan off the bay?

Specifications:
1. Rated Voltage: 12V DC
2. Rated Current: 0.1 10% RPM
3. Fan Speed(RPM): 1200 10% RPM
4. Max. Air Flow: 40.96 CFM
5. Noise Level: 20dBA 10%
6. Bearing Type: Hydraumatic
7. Overall Dimensions: (4.7 x 4.7 x 0.98)" / (12 x 12 x 2.5)cm (L x W x H)
8. Color: Black
9. Weight: 3.77oz / 107g
This is a 12VDC fan about 41/2 by 41/2 inches and only uses .1 amp or 100MA!
Note that it is rated to move 40 cubic feet per minute so if your box was two cubic feet, you would be changing the air 20 times a minute! Don't want to suck all the water out? That's optimistic with dirty filters, etc. but still way plenty. No need for lots of noise setting there next to the couch.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:51 AM   #18
AHGoodwin
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
But your example of two fans at 12 amp will burn out a 13 amp cord. Just that a 12 amp fan may be four feet across??? Amps are big things when speaking of this type fan.
the fans are 92mm square in size, which is why it seemed to make more sense to me that both could run on one cord seeing as these extension cords are able to take 3 average electronics at a time with no problem. For instance I could plug in a box fan, a light, and my computer into one without issue. But now looking back at the product page, it looks like theres a . in front of it, so it might make more sense that they are .12 amp. However I notice they are also DC, so I cant use those cords anyways.

EDIT:

You replied before me..... so these are too powerful then? Should I just use the ones that are like 1-2 inches and not this 4 inch one?
Old 08-06-2014, 01:34 AM   #19
AGUILAR3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I know it's not what you're aiming for but the fact that its USB powered should be of interest. Most phone chargers are now 2 piece with a cable and USB wall plug. Would it be as easy as matching a fan to the wall plug?

AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #20
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

Out of curiosity, why not mount the bulbs horizonatlly? It would save you a lot of space on the hood, and probably give you a slightly higher PAR reading at the substrate.

If it's anything to do with that thread on the PAR measurement of horizontal vs verticle, I think that had more to do with the reflectors then the orientation of the bulb. If you mount two bare bulbs, I think you'll get more from the horizontal one then the vertical one, but the brooder-style reflector is very good at directing most of the rays along the axis of the bulb.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:38 AM   #21
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHGoodwin View Post
the fans are 92mm square in size, which is why it seemed to make more sense to me that both could run on one cord seeing as these extension cords are able to take 3 average electronics at a time with no problem. For instance I could plug in a box fan, a light, and my computer into one without issue. But now looking back at the product page, it looks like theres a . in front of it, so it might make more sense that they are .12 amp. However I notice they are also DC, so I cant use those cords anyways.

EDIT:

You replied before me..... so these are too powerful then? Should I just use the ones that are like 1-2 inches and not this 4 inch one?
No, not too large if it is .12 amp rather than 12 amp. Personally I would think one fan would be fine as I use only a single fan of this size for the hood on my 75 gallon which has a Coralife fixture with two 65 watt bulbs. I'm guessing about four times the heat you will have.
I might look at one fan blowing out and then a second opening with a screen or wire mesh across the opening. With the mesh on the inside a foam filter made from cut to fit filter foam would press fit into the opening. This would make for an easy to reach item to rinse out as needed to clear it. This would let air go in, across the tank and out at the fan.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:08 AM   #22
AHGoodwin
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
Out of curiosity, why not mount the bulbs horizonatlly? It would save you a lot of space on the hood, and probably give you a slightly higher PAR reading at the substrate.

If it's anything to do with that thread on the PAR measurement of horizontal vs verticle, I think that had more to do with the reflectors then the orientation of the bulb. If you mount two bare bulbs, I think you'll get more from the horizontal one then the vertical one, but the brooder-style reflector is very good at directing most of the rays along the axis of the bulb.
My decision was based on that thread which showed significantly higher ratings with horizontally orientated bulbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
No, not too large if it is .12 amp rather than 12 amp. Personally I would think one fan would be fine as I use only a single fan of this size for the hood on my 75 gallon which has a Coralife fixture with two 65 watt bulbs. I'm guessing about four times the heat you will have.
I might look at one fan blowing out and then a second opening with a screen or wire mesh across the opening. With the mesh on the inside a foam filter made from cut to fit filter foam would press fit into the opening. This would make for an easy to reach item to rinse out as needed to clear it. This would let air go in, across the tank and out at the fan.

Alright, so I will stick with the two 4 inch fans, and use one for intake with a filter to keep out cat hair and other debris.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:42 AM   #23
AGUILAR3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

If it's not too late, you can still run a single fan on the right side of the hood and a filtered baffle on the wall side of the hood.
AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #24
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

The beauty as well as the curse of DIY?
You get to make decisions and in the end are the only one who has to do it.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #25
AHGoodwin
Planted Member

not to mention, if you your design fails, you are to blame. I made my own acrylic terrarium once, (just a small cube for a newborn crested gecko). Well it warped within a couple days creating a gap that the very tiny guy could fit through. Needless to say with 4 cats, we never saw him again. Luckily, if this design fails, my only problem will be frustration, not death.

Tags
build, diy, fans, hood, lights