One E-series enough for 40g breeder?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 08-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
mythicwolf4307
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

One E-series enough for 40g breeder?

Hello everyone, new to the forum. I need the opinion of e-series owners.
Also has anyone heard much on the new Radion XR15 freshwater?
mythicwolf4307 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 04:01 AM   #2
Qwedfg
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I think par wise it would be enough for most plants but the back to front coverage wont be on such a wide tank.

edit

I just checked out the radion light. Coming from someone who has some vortechs on my reef tank I think ecotech is great but if the asking price is similar to the marine version I think its a little steep. One of the cool things about planted tanks (in my opinion) is that you can get high lighting for pretty cheap compared to a reef. It also looks like it fits more cube like tanks with about a 30 inch circumference of light. Might not work that well on a 40b.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
mythicwolf4307
Algae Grower

According to their website the PDF states a kind of oblong light spread of 36" at 9" above water surface. Bad thing no PAR data yet, the MSRP 299.00US. Its suppose to ship this week to retailers.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Consider 2 x Current Sat+.

v3
Old 08-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythicwolf4307 View Post
According to their website the PDF states a kind of oblong light spread of 36" at 9" above water surface. Bad thing no PAR data yet, the MSRP 299.00US. Its suppose to ship this week to retailers.
Interesting light..
http://ecotechmarine.com/products/ra...15-freshwater/

Must be me though.. What is the basis for the LED choices.. I mean it's good but.. green... why not cyan?.. Why UV???
Nothing wrong w/ it per se.. I just want to know what basis they pick these on..
Quote:
Neutral White: 5
Deep Blue: 2
Blue: 2
Green: 2
Hyper Red: 2
Indigo: 1
UV: 1
Cyan for green.. maybe orange-red for uv..
personal opinion.. I love the fact they call the one "Indigo" ..

Each color is individually controlled .. that is sweet though..
jeffkrol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
mythicwolf4307
Algae Grower

their XR15FW data sheet on the support page under manuals says 36" wide spead at 9" it was posted end of july. I would say the main web page is off saying 30", now if they would just post par data.
Does the Current ramp timer control the intensity through the day (example, 50% at 9:00 then 100% at noon, 75% at 4:00)?
If the radion has 300 or less price and 36" spread, high par, I may jump on it. Thats a hell of a price for a fully controllable FW light.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
micheljq
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
There are PAR ratings on their site, look at typical light ouput :

http://www.ecoxotic.com/community/wp...cification.jpg
Old 08-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #8
Crimson
Algae Grower

They should be out hopefully soon. I owned 2 of the gen2 pros for my 105 gallon reef. It did a good job. I cancelled by bml 7k light waiting for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwedfg View Post
I think par wise it would be enough for most plants but the back to front coverage wont be on such a wide tank.

edit

I just checked out the radion light. Coming from someone who has some vortechs on my reef tank I think ecotech is great but if the asking price is similar to the marine version I think its a little steep. One of the cool things about planted tanks (in my opinion) is that you can get high lighting for pretty cheap compared to a reef. It also looks like it fits more cube like tanks with about a 30 inch circumference of light. Might not work that well on a 40b.
I never really liked the vortechs I found them too loud and used tunze 6095 and a 6105. Most of my reef gear is sold but the apex which I plan on using for this "high tech" planted tank and possibly getting a wxm to control the radion.

edit2

I just called one of my past reefing supply stores (aquarium specialty) and was able to order one but no 10% discount.

Last edited by Crimson; 08-07-2014 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: update
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #9
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

This is the spectrum for the radion LED:

indigo - 425nm
UV - 405nm (not really UV but near-uv)
blue - 475

The reason they went purple is because like most modern reef lights people have switched pushing a ton of red LEDs for chlorophyll a to violet as they offer more penetration and are stronger per watt.

They include green so it makes the light look brighter and to help make green plants pop as all that light will just be reflected back.

Jeff doesn't like violet but at the end of the day it is a way more efficient spectrum for chlorophyll A as the new current crop of violet semileds are very powerful.

Last edited by gus6464; 08-07-2014 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: ed
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
mythicwolf4307
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheljq View Post
There are PAR ratings on their site, look at typical light ouput :

http://www.ecoxotic.com/community/wp...cification.jpg
Sorry, I know the PAR for the E-Series, I was talking about Ecotech has not posted the PAR data for the Radion XR15FW.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #11
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

The radion par will be roughly half of the xr15pro reef version so ~400 at full power.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #12
micheljq
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Sorry, I know the PAR for the E-Series, I was talking about Ecotech has not posted the PAR data for the Radion XR15FW.
Oh nvm then sorry
Old 08-09-2014, 03:28 AM   #13
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
This is the spectrum for the radion LED:

Jeff doesn't like violet but at the end of the day it is a way more efficient spectrum for chlorophyll A as the new current crop of violet semileds are very powerful.
Care fora bit of honest criticism??? First though to green vs cyan..
Cyan hits closest to one of the ancillary photosynthetic pigments (carotenoid ) and except for cyans.. all common LED's
are quite short in this bandwidth.. something you cannot say about green..Also cyan subjectively "pops" green much better than green, which is already abundant in white LED's... that is my partially subjective choice..

As to "purple". gus in your photos (though some shades of toning I "can" find acceptable.. I noticed purple "shadows". To me (and maybe just a digital artifact) it is "distracting" and unnatural..Needless to say I've never found reef tanks appealing enough to consider one..for much the same reasons.. which btw, is why i am here.. Different strokes for different folks...and I suspect you could get a good discussion w/ reefers re: the same cyan vs green choice.

I suspect for most manuf. it is more an economic choice than anything else..

Quote:
It has nothing really to do with coral coloration (there may be some benefit with certain fluorescing proteins but it's minimal at best), but more to do with how the color of the light is perceived by your eye. Cyan and green LEDs help reduce some of the purple tint that you can see with royal blue and neutral white combos. Typically, 470nm blue does most of the work, but it can need a little assistance sometimes. It also makes the light brighter to the eye, as the eye is much more sensitive to green light.
Quote:
Don't both(er) with higher greens, stick to cyan. All white LEDs have plenty of green, but have very little cyan.
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/32469...ds-yay-or-nay/

Quote:
True green is used in commercial fixtures because Ecotech could get true green from Cree instead of cyan. Everyone else has followed suit.
True green is NOT beneficial in color rendering or anything like that (especially since even cool white LEDs have plenty of green spectrum), but cyan is very important!

Last edited by jeffkrol; 08-09-2014 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: chatter
jeffkrol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2014, 04:00 AM   #14
mythicwolf4307
Algae Grower

Does anyone have experience with marineland aquatic LED? It has almost double the par of E-series. What is coverage on 18" wide tank. I can get it for 230.00.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #15
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post

As to "purple". gus in your photos (though some shades of toning I "can" find acceptable.. I noticed purple "shadows". To me (and maybe just a digital artifact) it is "distracting" and unnatural..Needless to say I've never found reef tanks appealing enough to consider one..for much the same reasons.. which btw, is why i am here.. Different strokes for different folks...and I suspect you could get a good discussion w/ reefers re: the same cyan vs green choice.
The shadow is there because my purple LEDs have a wider optic than my reflectors. It doesn't matter if it's purple, green, pink, neon blue, etc. that shadow will always be there. I also have a huge tree sticking out of my tank so the shadow is going to be accentuated by the mismatch in beam angle. It doesn't matter if I was using a cannon or a strip based LED, the color which has only a couple of LEDs is going to cast a shadow because of difference in beam angle. Look at a radion, all the colors have the same optics and a color shadow is almost nonexistant.

Regardless it is pointless arguing about this anymore as any light that does not pass the "jeff" color standard will always be subpar. Funny because every picture I have seen of your tank is always just blasting a random color and the only one I have seen with all channels on looks pretty washed out.

Some of the best looking tanks on here which run T5's have a purple hue to them and it is what I wanted to mimic. If I wanted my tank to look like Mars I could have easily done that. I will enjoy my tanks which apparently look like reefs (I guess I am really colorblind).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.