Newbie with a big, empty tank!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-06-2014, 01:51 AM   #1
Valorieboyer

PTrader: (0/0%)

Newbie with a big, empty tank!

Hey guys! I was given a single veil tail goldfish last year and then given a huge empty tank with accessories. I'm clueless and have no idea where to start, but I do know goldfish are my favorite fish, I want a planted tank, and I don't want to mess with it too much (I'd prefer a self-sufficient tank as far as cleaning goes)

Any newbie advice? Here's a pic of the set-up sofar. Tiny 1.5gal with Sushi, my goldfish, is on the left.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407289879.422360.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	353834
Valorieboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 02:39 AM   #2
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Welcome to TPT!

That looks to be around 29gal in size?

Definitely a much better home for your goldie than a 1.5gal, but still going to be awfully small for your goldfish in a year or so! Most people do not realize what truly large fish a healthy adult goldfish is... as most people don't house them well and long enough for them to grow like they should.

But that is a good tank to start with for now.

The other challenge with goldfish and planted tanks is that goldfish will eat many plants. Anubias, Java ferns, Java moss, and swordplants are few very hardy plants that I have seen kept successfully in goldfish tanks- so those are the plants I would recommend to start off with.

You'll also need to make sure to get a good light fixture. You want one strong enough to support plant growth, but not one that will put out so much light that it will be too much and make your tank high maintenance. A "low light/low tech" setup is what it sounds like you want. Spend some time in the Low Tech forum, and also run a forum search for some other goldfish tanks and I'm sure you'll get some ideas.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
FatherLandDescendant
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Welcome to TPT!

That looks to be around 29gal in size?

Definitely a much better home for your goldie than a 1.5gal, but still going to be awfully small for your goldfish in a year or so! Most people do not realize what truly large fish a healthy adult goldfish is... as most people don't house them well and long enough for them to grow like they should.

Young man where I work caught a goldfish, looked like a common everyday goldfish to me, but he caught it in the creek behind work, I swear that thing was 4' long I would think it was at lest 10lbs if not 20. Biggest GF I've ever seen.
FatherLandDescendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
HUNTER
Wannabe Guru

You gotta get the tank set up, do it for Sushi, love the name Can we get bigger picture of Sushi?
HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

My wife's family once had a goldfish that got released in the family pond. It lived to a ripe old age and somebody caught it while fishing. Everybody was impressed with the size so they fileted it and thought they had a good meal. WRONG! While frying, it smelled so bad they had to nearly move out. Way before my time but they still talk about the goldfish and the pond!
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:51 AM   #6
Valorieboyer

Ok here's a better picture of Sushi and a canister filter thing that yet another person gave me. It's like everyone's conspiring hehehe I think Sushi is a veil tail but I could be wrong, and I've got no clue about the filter (the old one that came with the tank is the type that hangs on the back) Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407376145.020832.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	354065Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407376156.237080.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	354073
Old 08-07-2014, 01:53 AM   #7
Valorieboyer

Oh, I've got a marimo in the little tank with Sushi but the other plant is just plastic. I hate it, looks tacky, but he likes to sleep by it so I keep it in there. I think it's funny how he rolls the marimo around, probably nibbles on it too a but
Old 08-07-2014, 02:25 AM   #8
Thenoob
Algae Grower

The canister is a sunsun which is essentially an off brand version of some of the name brands filters. I have never had one but almost bought one for myself. I have heard they work well and are quiet.

You have got to share you secret to getting people to give you free aquarium stuff! (:
Thenoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:14 AM   #9
HUNTER
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valorieboyer View Post
Ok here's a better picture of Sushi and a canister filter thing that yet another person gave me. It's like everyone's conspiring hehehe I think Sushi is a veil tail but I could be wrong, and I've got no clue about the filter (the old one that came with the tank is the type that hangs on the back) Attachment 354065Attachment 354073
Sushi is very cute!
HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote