Sump or canister
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
PK1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sump or canister

Looking to setup a 24 x 18 x 18 plated tank... I know that a wet/dry filter is desirable in that it helps with O2 levels in the tank, but I don't really want the look of a overflow box in that small a tank. Does anyone have any recommendations on discrete looking overflow boxes for the size tank? Here's one option I came across, but it's got a wave outflow which makes it good for saltwater tanks, not sure if I care much for it for a planted tank, does anyone have any experience with this for a planted setup?

http://reefomania.com/?product_cat=overflows
PK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
rabidrider
Algae Grower

This here is what I have on my 75 and I love it. Mines a 1250 GPH overflow and way to big for your needs but there are many to choose from and they are a very good company.

http://www.glass-holes.com/Overflow-Kits_c3.htm
rabidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

I've never had a sump until earlier this year, its so much easier to take care of than a canister filter. I would say if you can swing it, go with a sump!
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
PK1
Algae Grower

Rabidrider,

Thanks for the link, I've already looked at these guys and their stuff seems to be pretty good. I am looking to setup an Iwagumi style tank so looking for minimal equipment in the tank and it seems to that it would be difficult to hide this type of overflow. I'd probably be getting the 700 gph model for my size tank... I'd just have to decide if I want the look of this overflow...
Old 08-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
CAPSLOK
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

+1 for glass-holes. Good quality product and fast shipping, good customer service as well. Plus they send you candy with any orders

I have the 700gph overflow on my 40B SW tank. You would probably be fine with the next size down unless you want a lot of flow through it.
CAPSLOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:51 AM   #6
PK1
Algae Grower

Was about to buy the glass-holes and came across this while researching, interesting design... Does anyone have any experience with this overflow?

http://customaquariums.com/c-2-h2overflow.aspx
Old 08-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

I recently switched from running two canister filters to a 40G sump. The only complant I have is that I have to use more co2 to compensate for the turbulance and resulting off gasing of the co2. co2 is relatively cheep though. I love that I can place everything in my sump i.e heaters, temp probe, etc. It really cleaned up the look of my tank!
HunterX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

Are you guys running sumps off drilled tanks? I have always been apprehensive to make the switch to sump without a drilled tank.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #9
vanish
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
I recently switched from running two canister filters to a 40G sump. The only complant I have is that I have to use more co2 to compensate for the turbulance and resulting off gasing of the co2. co2 is relatively cheep though. I love that I can place everything in my sump i.e heaters, temp probe, etc. It really cleaned up the look of my tank!
Do you have a lid on your sump? I've read that can make significant difference in keeping CO2 in the system.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Are you guys running sumps off drilled tanks? I have always been apprehensive to make the switch to sump without a drilled tank.

My tank is drilled yes. But I have seen a bunch of people have great success with a CPR overflow. It's just important to get the right size for your aquarium and return pump. I've also seen a very helpful video about using a toms aqua lifter in combination with the CPR overflow to make sure there's no failure.
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:45 AM   #11
CAPSLOK
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have read too many stories of the over the back / HOB overflows failing and the resulting floods to trust them. The Lifereef brand is supposedly the least prone to these issues. But nothing is as foolproof as gravity driven on a drilled tank.

The H2Overflow is intriguing - it would be interesting to see some reviews on that to see if it works in practice as well.
CAPSLOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:51 AM   #12
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
I've got an overflow running on one tank and it's a hemorrhoid. Eventually when I setup the tank the sump came with it goes there and the overflow goes overboard.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #13
PK1
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSLOK View Post
The H2Overflow is intriguing - it would be interesting to see some reviews on that to see if it works in practice as well.
I ended up ordering a glass-holes kit just because I couldn't find any reviews on the H2overflow. This is my first overflow/sump design so I prefer going with the proven design, but there are other neat options out there... Here's another option (but it also makes waves which I didn't want): http://reefbuilders.com/2010/05/15/x...return-device/
It is the best looking option out there, just not sure how safe or quiet it is...

I am not as nervous about drilling holes in the tank than I am about weakening the back glass! This is also my first rimless tanks (Mr. Aqua 32 gallon) and I am already worried about its integrity as I've heard some stories about the glass panes detaching over time. Is there a way to discretely strengthen rimless tanks without taking too much away from the look?
Old 08-09-2014, 01:46 AM   #14
PK1
Algae Grower

Well, just received my Mr. Aqua and very pleasantly surprised about how good it looks. In fact, I see such little silicone that it really makes me worried about the integrity of the tank!! It's being leak tested right now, so far so good...

Now I'm having second thoughts about drilling the tank. I'll have to wait to receive the glass holes kit to see what it looks like.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:09 AM   #15
Aquadawg
Algae Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
Do you have a lid on your sump? I've read that can make significant difference in keeping CO2 in the system.
Lid plus DUCT TAPE = Huge difference

Best,

Joe
Aquadawg is offline   Reply With Quote