Plants photosynthesis
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
GT3
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Plants photosynthesis

I set up my pico tank for a month now, in the past 3 weeks, plants have been producing oxygen in the way of columns of bubbles, I am able to see them 'photosynthesis' but coming up to just over a month now, i don't see it anymore, at least not a constant column of bubbles. They look healthy but no more bubbles producing. I wonder why, is it because of the nutrient deficiency below the soil? When I bought the soil it was Fluval strata substrate, so I guess the nutrients have used up, should I buy root tabs? I have been starting to dose Excel, Trace and Iron in my tank since last week, light is very strong. I place it near window (Yes I fully understand there will be more algae growing).

Tank:
1 Gallon
6 baby white cloud minnows
Fluval Strata
Plants

Equipment:
23W philips daylight

As you can see this is a very low maintenance tank, there is no filter, water is crystal clear. I can go and not change water at all. But I do it every week just so I can clean the algae on the glass. The most expensive thing is the glass bowl itself, cost me $12.99, hurts my wallet quite a bit. But anyhow I am just starting this, I plan on making a fully planted 'jungle' in this glass bowl.
GT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
burr740
Wannabe Guru

The bubbles stopped because the oxygen level in the tank water is lower than what it used to be. It doesnt mean photosynthesis has stopped. I bet you see it mostly on water change days now, right? That is due to high O2 levels from the new water + agitation.

Cool little set-up btw.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
GT3
Algae Grower

You mean CO2 or O2?? the bubbles are supposed to be oxygen coming out from plants through intake of CO2. Did you mean when there is less CO2, there is also less bubbles releasing?
Old 08-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
burr740
Wannabe Guru

Pearling happens when plants are releasing oxygen faster than it can be absorbed into the water. When the water is saturated with oxygen, it allows the oxygen released by plants to be seen as bubbles to the naked eye. Low oxygen levels in the tank = no pearling bubbles, because the oxygen released by plants is being absorbed. That is a broad generalization. There are other factors in play, but in a low tech bowl it's going to have more to do with the oxygen content of the water than anything.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
Zapins
The Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (19/100%)

I agree. Pearling is not a sign of plant health, only of water O2 saturation. Colder water absorbs more O2 and can reduce pearling. Lots of factors affect pearling.
Zapins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
GT3
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Pearling happens when plants are releasing oxygen faster than it can be absorbed into the water. When the water is saturated with oxygen, it allows the oxygen released by plants to be seen as bubbles to the naked eye. Low oxygen levels in the tank = no pearling bubbles, because the oxygen released by plants is being absorbed. That is a broad generalization. There are other factors in play, but in a low tech bowl it's going to have more to do with the oxygen content of the water than anything.
Thanks, yes pearling only happens when I do water changes now. So since it is due to low oxygen level, should i be concern about it, maybe add a air stone? Right now there is no pearling at all! But as suppose to before, I didn't do water changes, it had a lot of pearling when I first started the tank, ever since I overdose Excel pearling stopped, until I do water change.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #7
Zapins
The Plant Whisperer

Do not add an airstone. It will agitate out the CO2 in the water like shaking a soda removes the fizz. Then plants will grow slower as they will have less CO2 to use.

Again, pearling is NOT a direct sign of good plant health. It is a reflection of a dozen water parameters that do not affect plant growth very much.

If you want to see pearling again then buy a pressurized CO2 system so the plant's metabolism increases and they make more O2, raise the water temperature to 82 F to increase metabolism and decrease the capacity of your water to hold oxygen and finally ensure that the plants do not get nutrient deficiencies or this will reduce growth rate and the amount of new tissue that can produce oxygen.

Excel can act as a toxin when too much is dosed. Certain plants are more sensitive than others. This may reduce the rate of oxygen production.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:35 AM   #8
GT3
Algae Grower

Is root tab recommend to use?
Old 08-06-2014, 03:32 AM   #9
Zapins
The Plant Whisperer

You can use a root tab in your tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.