First Ever Planted Tank (Advice Welcome) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #31
MEandYouPhoto
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
My lease does not allow over 10g tank. So I have two of them. I find it hard to find plants I like that are small enough.
Pictures??
MEandYouPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #32
MEandYouPhoto
Algae Grower

Need help identifying a couple of these plants.

I have managed to identify half of the plants in the tank. I have lost a couple of plants already from the list. I am just looking to identify the two plants in my tank that I can't figure out.... I plan to actually label them until I get more familiar with them by sight.

So any help is welcome

Here is the list of what I have and what I have identified.

1. 2 Amazon Swords (Echinodorus cordifolius), 8-10 inches long,
2. 1 Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus) - 2-3 inches long,
3. 1 Anubias barteri "Broad Leaf" - 5-7 inches long,
4. 2 Bunches of Java Moss (Vesicularia)
5. 4 stems of Limnophila aquatica - 7-8 inches long,
6. 1 Marimo moss ball
?. 4 stems of Ludwigia "Cuba" - 7-8 inches long,
?. 5 stems of Rotala rotundifolia - 7-8 inches long,
?. 5 stems of Ludwigia inclinata - 7-8 inches long,
?. 5 stems of Didiplis diandra - 6-7 inches long
?. 5 stems of Water Wisteria (Hygrophilia Difformis) 2-3 inches long

Old 07-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #33
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

The question mark farthest to the right may be one of these. There are a couple of types of them all called Pennywort.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...e_leucocephala
The one to the left of that is likely the Rotala R.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #34
MEandYouPhoto
Algae Grower

Thanks Ray!

So I need a good suggestion for a carpeting plant. I would prefer not to do moss. Any suggestions?
Old 07-11-2014, 04:54 AM   #35
MEandYouPhoto
Algae Grower

So I picked up a Anubus Nana from my LFS and it is a beautiful piece. Its even rooted to a small piece of driftwood and looks great. HOWEVER...... It came from a tank that was used for storing and breeding Red Ramshorn Snails....... I don't want ANY snails in my tank so I went ahead and inspected every leaf both top and bottom and scraped off the 100+ snail eggs that I found on the leaves..... there were dozens of the jello like pods on the leaves.

Afterward I went ahead and did a dip for 4 minutes in a bleach solution of 19 cups of water and 1 cup of bleach....

I then flushed the whole thing for an hour with clean water and then I put it back in the container with fresh water and Prime.

I am thinking of keeping it quarantined for the next week in the separate container with the prime and seeing if any snails show up. I know it can take about 2 weeks or more for the snails to hatch but I THINK I got every pod off of the leaves.

Hope this works... if not that was $20 down the drain..

On a side note.... Today is my Birthday and I ended up getting gift cards that I am gonna turn into Amazon gift cards. I should end up with $100 to spend at Amazon.... I was wondering if someone had a good suggestion for a good plant light for my 10 gallon.

Again I don't plan on doing CO2 injection so I can't go high light.. I am likely looking at low to medium light.
I was looking at the Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights or Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light but I am also open to other suggestions.

Any feedback and advice is welcome.

Last edited by MEandYouPhoto; 07-11-2014 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-11-2014, 05:27 AM   #36
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

Find out if the Satalite plus has any red bulbs in it...good. It is dimmable so you pick the light level. Regular just white lights wash out a lot of the color if they have no other colors/w them. Like the Finnex RayII. Just an example as I know that one is too high for your tank. I think the dimmable part may be an option.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:39 AM   #37
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Happy Birthday!

Get yourself a present:

Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light for Aquarium, 18 to 24-Inch:Amazon:Pet Supplies Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light for Aquarium, 18 to 24-Inch:Amazon:Pet Supplies
v3
Old 07-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #38
MEandYouPhoto
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Happy Birthday to me!

So I did end up ordering the
Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light for Aquarium, 18 to 24-Inch:Amazon:Pet Supplies Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light for Aquarium, 18 to 24-Inch:Amazon:Pet Supplies
and I have to admit I really love it. I am using the specs from the Current Satellite Page here on TPT and it shows my PAR is 36 at 12", The light sits about 10-11 inches above the substrate so it might be closer to 37-38 PAR. So according to the Lighting thread that Ray had me read I am actually on the low end of the Medium Light range, "Medium light - 35-50 micromols of PAR - CO2 may be needed to avoid too many nuisance algae problems" So I guess my quetstion is this. When looking at plants I had originally been focusing on Low Light Plants. Here is what I had originally planned (after the first disaster of all those plants i got from Ebay)

I dont have the Downoi or the Red Java Fern yet and I still want to get more Anacharis

The back third of the tank was intended to be plants I could put in my tank that woud be edible for my Red Eared Slider Turtle

I am using a dosing schedule of every other day of 1mL of Seachem Flourish and alternating days with 1mL of Seachem Florish Excel

I even was able to use the AQAdvisor site and got my tank stocked with appropriate fish.

So I guess my questions are... Now that I am on the low end of the medium light scale
1. Am I going to need to worry more about my "Low Light" plants
2. Can I look at Medium light plants or is the low end of the scale still too low light?
Old 08-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #39
MEandYouPhoto
Algae Grower

Does anyone have any feedback on this?
Old 08-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #40
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

Lots of med light plants will grow in low light. So you sould be able to grow 80-90% of them. Just that some wil grow a bit slower than they would at 50PAR for example.
And I'm not really sure I know what you mean by worry about my low light plants more.
They may tend to get a bit of GSA on the leaves as slow as they normally grow.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:47 AM   #41
MEandYouPhoto
Algae Grower

Thanks Ray. I worried about what it would mean to my low light plants if I had too much light going to them.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #42
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

According to Hoppy's chart on T8 bulbs I have about 75-80 PAR in my tank/w T8 bulbs and I just get a little GSA in there. Others may call it more than a little though.
But then I went through 6-7 bulb combos trying to find a combo that grew less algae.
Just saying your light is dimmable so you can dial it back if it causes algae on the leaves. Most low light plants grow slowly so they tend to collect algae on the older leaves if the light is on too long or too high. But you can adjust yours.