Good local fish stores in San Francisco?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > California

Old 08-01-2014, 05:16 AM   #1
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Good local fish stores in San Francisco?

I'm planning on making a trip up to San Francisco for my grandparents. My fam's going to be there for a week so I was curious on what would be good fish stores to check out in the San Francisco area while I'm there. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 05:18 AM   #2
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Albany aquarium is my favorite. Its just before Berkley.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:22 AM   #3
mayphly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (39/100%)

Ocean Aquarium located at 120 Cedar St. So many cool fish to pick from. The owners are super friendly and knowledgable. They care so much about their fish that they might not let you buy them if your tank is not properly cycled. Hehe! Another high end shop is the Aqua Forest on Fillmore St @ Post. They have all the fancy ADA and a good plant selection. Definitely worth checking out
mayphly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 05:41 AM   #4
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (117/100%)

+1 for Albany Aquarium, definitely worth going out of the city for (take BART). Aqua Forest Aquarium is great as well.

Centromochlus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Definitely aqua forest if ur going to go to sf
Old 08-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #6
kilfrg7864
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Looks like im going to albany aq. this weekend then :P

kilfrg7864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

There's an ADA distributor in San Francisco and I think it'd be a really really fancy shop. I haven't been there but it looks fancy from pics + Google street view lol.

If you are willing to drive a bit, try Neptune Aquatics in Milpitas. You will not be let down. They have an amazing selection of plants which you could easily ship back to Virginia. Neptune Aquatics also ships, so you could pick out fish/plants, pay for shipping and have them ship your stuff to your house.

They have a very nice selection of fish as well, some of the less common ones. They are a bit pricey, but the freshwater is affordable. I laughed when I saw a $300 piece of coral in their saltwater tank... xD
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (40/100%)

The corals at Neptune are all hand picked and most of them uncommon to rare. That's why I stay away from saltwater for now

But they do have a ton of uncommon freshwater fish, there very knowledgable and friendly. I usually stand around and have a half hour convo with the Asian guy. I'm at a loss for names right now lol.

Subtletanks91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2014, 02:09 AM   #9
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

Another +1 for Albany Aquarium, it's probably my favorite shop in the area, really good healthy stock, and everyone I've talked to there seems pretty knowledgeable and is helpful. That place is ridiculously humid though. :/

Aqua Forest is worth stopping by, if nothing else, they have some really beautiful display tanks, and they have a pretty big selection of plants. That's also not a bad area to spend a bit of time, a bunch of nice shops, places to eat, etc. right around there.

I also like the Ocean Aquarium on Cedar, it's cluttered and packed to the ceiling, but the people there are friendly and helpful, and all the tanks look healthy, and are full of plants... The neighborhood can be a bit sketchy, especially if you aren't used to urban areas, but it's not really dangerous, just don't leave anything in your car (I'd avoid the car altogether).

If you are looking for things to do, The Academy of Sciences up in Golden Gate Park is pretty neat, and they've got a really cool rainforest... ?thing? walk-in paludarium? Anyways, it's neat. Almost as humid as Albany Aquarium. And they've got a decent aquarium set up as well.
lochaber is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2014, 07:35 AM   #10
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
Another +1 for Albany Aquarium, it's probably my favorite shop in the area, really good healthy stock, and everyone I've talked to there seems pretty knowledgeable and is helpful. That place is ridiculously humid though. :/

Aqua Forest is worth stopping by, if nothing else, they have some really beautiful display tanks, and they have a pretty big selection of plants. That's also not a bad area to spend a bit of time, a bunch of nice shops, places to eat, etc. right around there.

I also like the Ocean Aquarium on Cedar, it's cluttered and packed to the ceiling, but the people there are friendly and helpful, and all the tanks look healthy, and are full of plants... The neighborhood can be a bit sketchy, especially if you aren't used to urban areas, but it's not really dangerous, just don't leave anything in your car (I'd avoid the car altogether).

If you are looking for things to do, The Academy of Sciences up in Golden Gate Park is pretty neat, and they've got a really cool rainforest... ?thing? walk-in paludarium? Anyways, it's neat. Almost as humid as Albany Aquarium. And they've got a decent aquarium set up as well.
Everyone said about the same thing but I agree totally with this post. AFA will have the most "wow" factor. Ocean Aquarium is just crazy, so much stuff packed into one place and though it seems a cluttered, it's actually really cool. Albany is a great place to shop, one of my favorites.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 02:57 AM   #11
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone!

I checked up on this the day after I had posted this to see what replies were given, and I had 3 immediate replies. Wow.

In any case, I wasn't able to go to any of them due to the lack of time that I had. Unfortunately I was unable to take a chance to even glimpse the store. However, I thank you guys! It was fun. California's definitely a fun place. Hopefully I can check out the stores the next time I go back.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:03 AM   #12
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtletanks91 View Post
The corals at Neptune are all hand picked and most of them uncommon to rare. That's why I stay away from saltwater for now

But they do have a ton of uncommon freshwater fish, there very knowledgable and friendly. I usually stand around and have a half hour convo with the Asian guy. I'm at a loss for names right now lol.
Maybe so, but definitely way overpriced. They had a $300 coral section, like actually? For one piece -- and they weren't even that nice. There was literally a toadstool in that section I swear.

Way overpriced I think, but healthy livestock, as far as their saltwater goes at least. Freshwater is more reasonable, but they still have some $30 fish. Even though they're uncommon, Aquabid + shipping is cheaper.

I think their freshwater plants are great though, and some of their freshwater fish too.

They're super super nice there always. And for the record there's like 20 Asian guy who work there lol.
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.