Green algae growing everywhere
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
mpooyan83
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Green algae growing everywhere

Hey all,

I have a 3.4 gallon tank for a betta and 6 yellow shrimp, with a 10" finnex fugeray. the tank has about a 10 inch hieght, so the gravel is prbably getting 25 or so par. There are a few plants in there, 2 Water wisteria stems, a java fern, quite a bit of Hornwort. Also a 3 different bulbs (i think they are tiger lotus's) that havnt sprouted yet.
the light was on for 10-11 hours a day, brought it down to 8 hours a day and still no differnce, the green algae is getting worse by the day.
The substrate is just regular gravel.
any ideas on what else i can do to try to get rid of this algae growth?

Last edited by mpooyan83; 07-29-2014 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: added tank inhabitants
mpooyan83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
gt turbo
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpooyan83 View Post
Hey all,

I have a 3.4 gallon tank for a betta and 6 yellow shrimp, with a 10" finnex fugeray. the tank has about a 10 inch hieght, so the gravel is prbably getting 25 or so par. There are a few plants in there, 2 Water wisteria stems, a java fern, quite a bit of Hornwort. Also a 3 different bulbs (i think they are tiger lotus's) that havnt sprouted yet.
the light was on for 10-11 hours a day, brought it down to 8 hours a day and still no differnce, the green algae is getting worse by the day.
The substrate is just regular gravel.
any ideas on what else i can do to try to get rid of this algae growth?
I'd suggest reducing your lighting period some more based on the fact that you don't seem to have a high volume of plants just yet. I'd say come down to between 4 - 6 hrs.

Also is the tank getting a lot of ambient lighting cause that could also be exacerbating your problems.
gt turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
mpooyan83
Algae Grower

Well, it is close to a window, but i keep the brown colored curtains closed, only 1 layer of curtain tho. didnt think it would let enough light through to cause an issue. Now that I look at the tank tho, the 2 sides of the glass that are facing that window do have alot more algae then the other sides.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

What kind of algae?
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
mpooyan83
Algae Grower

Its like green fuzz on the glass and driftwood. I can take pictures when I get back home.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Bloomer
Algae Grower

If you use root tabs and no liquids, the plants will grow better and usually outcompete the algae. I get hair algae at the bases of plants and if ignored, long threads higher up in a big swordtail tank that is moderately planted, but the plants aren't big enough yet to keep the tank under control. The cause in my situation is a rich water column, a sequence of close together pwc's, vacuuming, scraping, hand picking, filter cleaning and then root tabs a day or two later will keep it at bay for a week or so.

This is assuming the tanks fundamentally OK, and your description seems fine. How deep is the substrate? Two inches or so in your small tank would be good.

My fish love the algae, but it's kind of a no win, the tank's heavily stocked and well filtered but they can't eat it fast enough. When the plants get very thick, it won't be problem, but not there yet.

I have an identical sword tank to the one mentioned that started long before it, the plants are thick, algae is minimal and maintenance very low. It did go through the same stage my hairy one is in now.

Both are 55 gal's with double canisters, one double H O t5 with a 6700 and plant tube and a N O with 6700 and plant tube. Lights are on 8.5 hrs total in two shifts.

The general tank behavior is about the same for every one of the 23 tanks I have, although sizes and shapes vary a lot and lighting somewhat. The ones near windows tend to grow glass algae, the ones with immature plants do too, but slower; the ones with mature plants grow almost none.

I'm coincidentally expecting a Finnex fugeray planted plus today for a 20 long, we'll see how it does, they're supposed to be excellent.

Last edited by Bloomer; 07-29-2014 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: clarity
Bloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
mpooyan83
Algae Grower

The gravel is a little under 2 inches deep. I do have Seachem Root Tabs, havnt used any in here tho. I think I'll put a couple more plants in there this week as well. a couple stemp plants to try to out complete the algae. I think its well filtered with a Zoo Med 501 canister filter.
My 11.4 gallon Mr Aqua tank has ZERO algae issues. Uses the Current usa LED+ and is close to a windows as well, but there are 3x otos, 3 nerites and a TON of RCS to cleanup. Was kinda hopeing this little tank would be just as low maintenance, dosnt seem so so far. even with the 6x Yellow shrimp and 1x Nerite.
The bulbs have only 1 out of 4 bulbs i put in there has sprouted after 2 weeks of being in, I'll give them another week, and replace them with stem plants if they fail.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #8
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/
Old 07-30-2014, 12:13 AM   #9
Bloomer
Algae Grower

Lily bulbs are weird, sometimes they take forever to sprout,sometimes they're DOA. The only way I've been able to keep them alive at all is to separate the plantlets from the bulb and plant them. Sprouted bulbs typically do well for a month then melt. I have one bulb out of four still going after 3 months, the rest I pitched.

Seems like root tabs and water changes are what always work for me with plants and algae, but the tanks are all a little different. The stubborn ones eventually turn around, not sure what's really happening, none of the standard speils work for any length of time. Good luck!
Bloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
mpooyan83
Algae Grower

Here are a couple cell phone pics of the tank. I started cutting the light back a little more, added a few more plants, took out the bulbs that weren't sprouting. These 2 pic are only to show the algae type.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140729_193718.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	351402  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140729_193737.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	351410  

Old 07-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

Hard to tell from the picture. Looks like there is algae on the glass? Is the algae on the wood stingy and slimy?
Old 07-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #12
mpooyan83
Algae Grower

There is algae on the Glass. The algae on the wood dosnt seem stringy, more fuzzy, like growing green fuzz
Old 07-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #13
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

Well you can start by cleaning the glass and doing a large water change. Is the fuzz algae only on the wood? Leave the light off for a few days. Do you haves somewhere else to put the bettsa and the shrimp?
Old 07-31-2014, 09:53 PM   #14
mpooyan83
Algae Grower

Unfortunately i dont have any where to put the Betta and shrimp. well, i do for the Betta i guess, temporarily. but there are cherry shrimp in there and I cant mix the yellow shrimp in with them. The babies would look hideous... lol

I cleaned up the glass. you think shrimp would be ok in the dark for a few days? what about the plants? wont the plants start hurting? I did add more plants to it yesterday, and am planning on getting even more in a few day, to hopefully completely out compete the algae. Would it be a good idea to take the would out and just scrub it?