My 1ft Planted Nano Cube
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-01-2004, 03:32 AM   #1
mrbishi

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd share my lil 1ft cube:

-------
Specs
-------
1ft cube
20W 5000K screw in CF
50w Tronic Heater
Aquaclear mini with just sponge on minimum flow
Dupla pressurised CO2 (hehe can you say overkill! Hey its sitting around I might as well use it
2mm gravel with laterite mixed in to the bottom 1/3

At the moment the plants are:

Bolbitus heudelotii
Anubias barteri var. nana
Riccia fluitans
Nymphaea lotus 'zenkeri'
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Cryptocoryne parva

I decided to go with relatively slow growers and a large peice of interesting wood as I was going for a more "timely" feel with the tank. Didn't want to be trimming stem plants all the time.

There is one lonely little neon in the tank that my boss couldn't help but put in there when I wasn't looking. Final inhabitants I plan to have are a small group of minature corys (not sure of species yet), a small school of endlers live bearers / harlequin rasboras / other small pretty unusual mid water fish, and probably a baby pepermint or two .

I am currently in the process of trying to obtain some Glossostigma elatinoides to get a small carpet of it started at the front of the tank. If this proves to difficult to get hold of I may tie some riccia down to slate and have a riccia carpet.

Hope you enjoy the lil tank.

Cheers,
Jon[/i]
mrbishi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2004, 01:40 AM   #2
pomby27
Algae Grower

i like it, cube tanks are getting more popular in the asian countries as well as the us.
pomby27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2004, 02:27 AM   #3
Fosty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

Thats I really nice tank. How many gallons can it hold? Your fish choices sound really good. Can't wait to see it with the carpet and fish.
Filstar Pimp #26
38 Gallon
20 Gallon Long

"keep on keepin' on!"
Fosty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2004, 02:38 AM   #4
mrbishi

Hi,

The tank is a 1ft cube so it can hold : 28 litres or 7gal - of course its a little less with the wood + gravel etc in there. Its been setup for about 2 weeks now and there aren't any signs of algae.. just a few brown smears on the the anubius leaves. The plants all seem to be doing well and loving the CO2

I'm liking this tank so much I'm thinking of setting up another at home. It'd be cool to have 1 setup as a nano reef and 1 setup as a nano planted next to eachother

I thought I would plant out this small tank for my office desk just to show people that you don't have to have a huge aquarium to have one that is beatiful. I find it is quite a conversation piece when people come into the office and see it. Most peoples plant keeping experiences invlove putting a plant into there goldfish tank and watching it die/be eaten hehe

Chers,
Jon
Old 04-04-2004, 05:15 PM   #5
pomby27
Algae Grower

hmm, i'm plannin on starting a 1ft cube as well, do you think that a 7w 7200k fl bulb would do? and has anyone had experience with the turtle 501 canister filter? its the smallest one i've seen so far.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:07 PM   #6
Basilisk
Planted Member

Looks very nice. The cube shape makes it much more appealing than a ten gallon or other small tanks. I might as well try it myself, as I have the AquaClear and other devices lying around, but then you would hate all of us copycats LOL. But really, the frameless glass gives it a neat, minimal look. I wonder how big can it get until you need the frames for holding the walls together.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:27 AM   #7
Capt.
Planted Member

Yea I like the frameless too. Makes it seem more natural to me.

Couple things worth noting. The bolbitis and the lotus will both get far too big for a tank that size. That's like putting an amazon sword in there. Rasboras can actually get to a pretty good size too. For smaller fish I think your best bet are endlers or white clouds.
Capt. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2004, 04:50 AM   #8
mrbishi

Thanks for the replies guys.

Capt is right about the Boblitus and Tiger Lotus outgrowing this tank. They were just put in there currently as they were quite small.

I think I am going to change tact with this tank - I just fitted a 28W CF to it and have decided to go the path of a high maintenance tank and plant it out with some delicately leaved stem plants / glosso etc in an amano style

I will post pictures when I have redone it.

Cheers,
Jon
Old 04-28-2004, 06:09 AM   #9
pomby27
Algae Grower

any updates on your 1ft cube? love to see it
Old 05-01-2004, 11:57 PM   #10
aCe^bOwleRz
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to aCe^bOwleRz

how many litres is the co2 cylinder?
looks like a 0.5l...

don't think that we can get that size in Singapore...

:lol:
aCe^bOwleRz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.