Hoods.....
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 04-26-2004, 06:23 PM   #1
percula3
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to percula3

Does anyone have expierence with a hood on their planted TERRARIUM....Not aquarium. I was thinking about building one for my 10 gallon!

Breanne
percula3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2004, 09:45 AM   #2
audiotaylor
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to audiotaylor

Yes I do. Ive used solid glass lids, which I think work the best for terrariums because they keep in humidity, and screen lids. Screens are better for animals/plants that need more air flow. It all depends on what you plan to house. Let me know any other questions you have.
-David
Old 05-01-2004, 05:52 AM   #3
Basilisk
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have used wood. I like it over glass because a variety of features: weight, ease of work, looks, cost. Yet, if you use both, you get better results.

You can cover the tank with a glass, maybe with a hinged movebale part, or just two pieces of glass, and over it a wooden hood (just like a box) which will hold the lights, and any else you need. Either you make the hood to cover all the top, or just a portion, this turns to be the most comfortable to me. The latter is a bit better if you make a hinged door at the front to drop crickets or mist, without having to lift the whole hood.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:54 PM   #4
audiotaylor
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to audiotaylor

I have also used wood but I myself hatted the results. I had problems with it warping and mildewing. I make wooden canopies, but they are protected from miosture by a pane of glass. Just my experience.
-David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.