San Diego Area
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > California

Old 07-27-2014, 05:45 AM   #1
monkeyruler90
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90

San Diego Area

Hey guys, just moved to the San Diego area and wanted to meet some new friends and trade some plants/equipment. I'll be living in La Mesa but can travel anywhere close by. How's the water here, pretty hard? better to use RO?
Also are there any good LFS with live plants/shrimp?
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

40 gallon LED fixture
monkeyruler90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
monster mac
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Don't have to many things to trade but welcome to San Diego. I live relatively close (Tierrasanta). The water isn't horrible but I tend to do 2/3rds RO 1/3rd tap water since it is fairly hard for my South American tank. There are some okay fish stores around here, i say okay but i haven't really been to many other lol. Top to bottom, Pet Kingdom (OB), Aquatic warehouse (Clairemont), Fish Haven (Escondido),Fountains (La Mesa) and Goldfish World (CLairemont). They all have there goods and bads that you will shortly realize. Aquatic is best for Shrimp when they get them in but they always order the same plants ...Once again welcome.
monster mac is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Try joining SCAPE, its a great aquatic club down in socal, I believe most live in LA area but there might be some from sd
Old 07-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
xylophone
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
Hey guys, just moved to the San Diego area and wanted to meet some new friends and trade some plants/equipment. I'll be living in La Mesa but can travel anywhere close by. How's the water here, pretty hard? better to use RO?
Also are there any good LFS with live plants/shrimp?
I live in the mountains off of a well, but I do know SD tapwater is pretty hard. It has to do with us being at the end of all the water projects, the water has been subjected to a lot of evaporation by the time it gets to us so TDS' are pretty high.

I'll preface this with a big IME, but for LFS my favorite is aquatic warehouse in Kearny Mesa. Pet Kingdom off of Sports Arena BLVD is good too, but they're a little more expensive, less helpful and the stock I get there have been a little less taken care of. Though they do have a little more variety. Fountain's aquarium is right there in La Mesa, but their fish all seem a little sickly when I go in there and they barely have anything for planted tanks, but for basic stuff like food or media or w/e they're right in your neighborhood.
xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.