What are you feeding your koi?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 07-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #1
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

What are you feeding your koi?

Out of curiosity, what are you feeding your koi? I got two one year old koi, and two very young koi, and I really want to get some growth out of these guys, but of course without breaking the bank.

I'm currently feeding EasyPro (can't think of the formula off the top of my head), which wasn't bad price wise, but looking for some more options. I fed Hikari at the beginning of the year cause I couldn't get out to the pond supply place, but it is EXPENSIVE, and to be honest, the ingredients weren't that impressive to me. Especially since the little bag was gone in two weeks or so.

Also do you guys feed any veggies?

Edit: Also normal food is Doctor Fosters and Smith, they like it, and its reasonably priced.

Last edited by Little Soprano; 07-28-2014 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: ..
Little Soprano is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
Solcielo lawrencia
Wannabe Guru

Nothing. They grow really big in the pond, though.
Solcielo lawrencia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
Shangrila
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I feed pellets from Kens fish. I mix the red and green pellets together for the summer and feed just the red in the early spring and in the fall. I supplement with live earthworms from my yard.
Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow their prices aren't half bad either.... may have to give that a shot.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #5
Shangrila
Planted Member

Kens fish has some of the best prices for fish food IMHO. His other stuff is very reasonable also.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:11 AM   #6
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I'll definitely have to look into that when I run out. I've been also looking at Blackwater as well, any experience there? Seems like a pretty good food, from a small company, not bad price wise either. My filtration system isn't the best, so the food that produces the least waste wins IMHO
Old 07-29-2014, 05:16 AM   #7
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)

I have used the Blackwater brand in the past and it is good food. Now I get my food from a local fish hatchery in bulk as it's way cheaper and as much as I go through its a no brainer. I also dump in buckets full of duckweed. Some of the premium feed is better at bringing out the colors of your fish but I just keep my koi for my enjoyment not to enter a koi contest. If I had really high quality fish I wouldn't skimp on food but for my fish they aren't going to eat better than I do.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
Shangrila
Planted Member

Be careful with bulk hatchery foods. Some contain too much corn and corn gluten which bad for koi. I stay away from koi foods that have corn listed in the first three ingredients. While some corn is good you don't want it as the main ingredient in your koi's food.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #9
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangrila View Post
Be careful with bulk hatchery foods. Some contain too much corn and corn gluten which bad for koi. I stay away from koi foods that have corn listed in the first three ingredients. While some corn is good you don't want it as the main ingredient in your koi's food.
Well the feed I use does have corn and corn products in it but it's not in the top of the list of ingredients. It's been used for my koi for quite some years now and they are just fine. Maybe because my koi are Nebraska koi and we are the Cornhusker state after all.

The main ingredients listed is fish meal, blood meal, bone meal, alfalfa meal, cotton seed meal, canola meal, molasses, peanut meal, soybean meal, wheat bran, fish oil, poultry feather meal, rice, and many vitamins. The hatchery I get it from also raises koi and it seems to work just fine for them also.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
Old 08-04-2014, 04:19 AM   #10
Pandanke
Algae Grower

Do you happen to have the name of the hatchery on hand? We're getting to the bottom of our last big bag of koi food and still have a dozen hungry fellows in the pond & we're in Nebraska as well.
Pandanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:28 AM   #11
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandanke View Post
Do you happen to have the name of the hatchery on hand? We're getting to the bottom of our last big bag of koi food and still have a dozen hungry fellows in the pond & we're in Nebraska as well.
Willow Lake fish hatchery in Hastings, NE

You may also be able to find some food if you have a farm feed store anywhere near you.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:47 AM   #12
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

There is a very strong grass-roots movement with pet foods in general (across pretty much all species) to avoid wheat, soy, and corn.

Personally, I think there's some validity to it, though everything can be taken to extremes. I do watch ingredients on what I feed my fish, but I won't dismiss a food *just* because it might contain some of the above... as long as it's not listed in the first 5 or so ingredients. If that's the case, then the food is mostly just "filler" and IMO the nutritional value is extremely compromised.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:24 AM   #13
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgal2575 View Post
Someone has told me that any ingredients containing wheat or corn is bad for Koi? Is this true?
I wouldn't say that any food with corn or wheat listed in the ingredients is bad but I would try to avoid ones where that is the main ingredient. You will be hard pressed to find a food that doesn't contain one or the other unless you buy some of the premium foods out there. The corn and wheat is just a filler. The whole thing that fish can't digest corn is not entirely true. Fish can digest corn, they just don't assimilate it as well as fish proteins. They might not assimilate it at all if an amino acid is missing from the protein in the food. My fish have been fed food that I get from a hatchery at while it does contain corn it's not in the first ingredients on the list and my fish are very healthy and some are two decades old. You can see my fish in my journal of my pond in my signature. If you are trying to raise show quality koi I would buy premium food as you will get the fastest growth rate and better colors but if you are just wanting to have healthy fish in your pond in your backyard then just find a decent food that doesn't list corn/corn products or wheat in the first ingredients.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #14
Seena

Koi's are omnivorous fish and they can feed on lettuce, peas and watermelon. You can try feeding them these.
Seena is offline   Reply With Quote