The 180 gallon project - don't know what I'm doing - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #16
philipraposo1982
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am not a fan of blood parots but wow do they ever pop in a planted tank!!

That 125g is just something truly amazing!!

If this was my tank I would start off low tech and go from there. Seeing how you are new to planted tanks and a tank of this size; things can turn bad really fast with high tech.

Think about the amount of money you will end up spending on just plants alone. To fill a tank of this size is going to be a very costly venture. I know in my 75g I have more.money in plants than live stock and I am 100% stocked.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #17
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

I'm setting up a similiar size tank in my new house in a couple months. I've had the benefit of experience with a bunch of different fish to see what I like in a tank.
I'm going to set up an amazon theme with different size sword plants, Anubias, Java fern, and plants that can do well without CO2. The possibility of a bad regulator or having to find a source for refills doesn't appeal to me.
For fish I'm going to do
2 Dantum Angels and 2 Platinum Angels
6 Bosemani
6 - 8 Congo Tetras
15 Rummynose Tetras or Emperor Tetras
3 Pictus Cats
1 Synodontis
2 Albino BN Plecos
That's were I'm at so far. I'm going to set up the plants and a colony of RCS first (I know many will say this won't work with all the predators I the tank, but I've got a thriving population of RCS in a tank with Angels and Barbs right now that's been going strong for two years .
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009

Last edited by The Dude; 07-21-2014 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: Spelling
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #18
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Either way you choose to go it will be costly, the price of small fish can add up and the same goes for buying a school of larger fish.

If I were you man, I'd go with something from the barilius genus. They grow to 4-5 inches and probably do well in large groups but with that size you shouldn't have a problem. My favorite are the barilius canarensis. So cool.
Maybe throw a school of 10 roseline sharks to compliment them. Then your set.

Make sure you have a good hardscape before you fill it though, moving stuff around in a big tank can be difficult at times.
AlecFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #19
klibs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Yep, plants will cost you a good amount to fill it out. Almost $150 in my 75 gallon and I still wish I bought more. Patience will pay off and everything will grow out and propagate but you are looking at around $400 on fish and plants at a minimum IMO. A disaster scenario will be quite costly...

I am going high tech for my first mainly planted tank anyways though lol
klibs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #20
vanish
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am in the crowd of having spent more on my plants than fish was well!

I like schools of fish, but there is something to be said for being able to identify specific fish, and learn their personalities. For me, the fish with personalities are more important than having a perfect aquascape. I think I am actually going to start a thread on this in the FISH forum.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:05 AM   #21
BigJay180
Algae Grower

So, I'm going to start slow and low tech until I figure out what kind of maintenance schedule I can work in between two jobs.

I've got a few questions though:

1. Substrate: I have no idea which way to go here.

* 7-8 bags of Eco-complete mixed with a 3-4 bags of Activ-Flora black.

* MGOPS capped with Eco complete or fluorite black sand. It seems like a majority of the successful low tech planted tanks out there are dirted. But the high TDS in the tank is off putting.

2 Lighting: which way should I go, and what will give me medium light level for a low tech planted tank?

* Finnex Fugelight planted LED. 2 x 36"
Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 36-Inch:Amazon:Pet Supplies Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 36-Inch:Amazon:Pet Supplies

* AquaticLife T5HO. It has full German reflectors for each of two 36" bulbs. I like the 36" bulbs because I can find them anywhere cheap.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3&pcatid=23753

* Odyssea four bulb T5HO, it works, has the moonlights, four bulbs, and timers. I can run it with two bulbs if four turn out to be too much light.
http://www.aquatraders.com/36-inch-4...e-p/52324p.htm

I have a pair of 24" Aquatic Life LED's mounted under my canopy (came with the tank). I plan to use them for moonlight/dusk/dawn lights (attached pic). So I don't need moonlights or anything.

I'm sort leaning towards the aquatic life T5 fixture because I can customize the bulbs, and the spread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	350425  

BigJay180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #22
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Seems that Aquaticlife has a high reflective property to those reflectors it has.
That high TDS is good(after it matures a few weeks) for shrimp if you ever...
Gauranteed cheaper than the other choice that you listed.
If you do that one a couple of the threads where that was discussed said that 2" or
more of cap keeps in the dirt much better. One person reflected that 80% of any issues he'd read about leaching anything from the soil was in tanks/w less than that.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:34 AM   #23
BigJay180
Algae Grower

Sorry things are going slowly. Between kids, travel, and a couple of jobs, this project is finally getting traction.

1. I bought three bags of MGOCPM. I plan to sift it the best I can.

2. I have ten pounds of California red potters clay. I can emulsify this and add it to the soil.

3. I picked up some Muriate of Potash, soluble KCl that will be added beneath the soil layer.

I also ordered the following, it should be here in a week or so:
* 9 bags of flora active black. This should be two inches cap that I want.
* Hydor inline heater, 300 watt
* Koralia 850 GPH pump for circulation

Next I need lights. When I get back from my next trip, I'll be ordering a custom built fixture from Catalina aquariums. I'm thinking three 39 watt bulbs per fixture, individual reflectors, and six inch spacing between the bulbs. Two units, side by side, should give me the low/medium light I want.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	38
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	361842  

Old 08-25-2014, 05:52 AM   #24
BigJay180
Algae Grower

What is the best source for online plants? I'm looking for packages I can put together (3-400$) and fill this tank.

I'm going with a dirt substrate, with lots of root feeders. I figure plants like swords should fill out and take up plenty of space.

Fish: local sources are a wasteland for fresh water. It sucks to be in the fish hobby here if you aren't running salt.
I'm thinking:
Harlequin rasboras
Cory cats
Rams - German, and electric blue.
True SAE and ottos for the cleanup crew.
Rainbows - red and bosemani

I love the rasboras, but if I can't find or get enough of these, I'll go with schools of tiger or rosy barbs (my second choice).
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	37
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	361850  

Old 09-05-2014, 04:57 AM   #25
BigJay180
Algae Grower

Lights: I went with a pair of 36 inch Catalina three bulb t5HO. I picked two 6500K, and one reddish plant-gro in each. As you can see, they're slick, and they fit under the canopy. Individual reflectors, and I can run either one, two, or all three bulbs.

It's plenty bright with enough spread. No dark. No shadows. No spotlight effect.

Substrate: I found activ flora (black) and bought ten bags. I'll use it to cap Mineralized MGOCPM. There's one in the tank.

Flow: one Koralia 850. Is that enough, or should I add another? I'm looking for a gentle current, not plastering the fish and plants against the glass.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	38
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	366466  

Last edited by BigJay180; 09-05-2014 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: I feel like it?
Old 09-05-2014, 05:08 AM   #26
BigJay180
Algae Grower

Here's my Eheim Pro2, and the hydor 300 watt attached to a hook.

The filter came with the tank, it needed all new suction cups and media.

Bump: Substrate
Heater
Filter
Lights
And I threw in a Koralia 850 for extra flow.

Only thing to do now? Figure out what to put in it.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	32
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	366474  

Old 09-05-2014, 05:24 AM   #27
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Those lights are perfect. I'm loving the slim fit.

I'm sure you can get a sweet deal from one of the members here. There are quite a few who actually have the stock you will need to fill that monster up.
AGUILAR3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:02 AM   #28
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Excellent choice on the lights. Dirt is cheaper and grows plants very well, but it's messy and it starts to stink after a year or so IME. I think you'll also need at least one more large filter, however, I tend to over filter.
For fish make sure you've done your best to locate quality shops near you. I just recently found one 15 minutes from me after struggling to source what I wanted for the last 5 years.
For plants I'd stick around the For Sale section. $100 would buy you quite a bit. They'd be smaller, but Swords grow quickly as do Val's and most stem plants
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:06 AM   #29
BigJay180
Algae Grower

Dirting it!

There's muriate of Potash on the bottom, capping with soil, then adding small bits of clay, and emulsified clay water.

It's messy, but done. Turns out I need one more bag of activ flora. To the store!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	26
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	367314  

Old 09-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #30
BigJay180
Algae Grower

Here's what the cap looks like, I have 1.5 inches of each of the soil and activ flora.

It's not consistent though, the center is only a half inch cap, so I need one more bag. Lesson to anyone doing a 6x2 footprint 180 or 240. You need 10 bags or 150 pounds even for a 1.5 inch substrate cap.

I did not slope the substrate much (maybe a quarter inch?), because well, there's already two full feet of front to back space, and it looks like it.

Tomorrow, I'll add the last bag, hardscape, fill with water, Prime dechlorinator, and start adding ammonia to cycle. Then we plant.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	27
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	367322  

Last edited by BigJay180; 09-07-2014 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: I feel like it.