my 40 galllon Nano style tank c:
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #1
Shifumi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

my 40 galllon Nano style tank c:

This is my 40 gallon acrylic tank, it has immovable dividers so I decided stocking it with small nano sized fishies
I have had it going for over a month now
the water turned out to be very hard so I was unable to stocking it with the fish I planned to get- small tetras, rosboras, pygmy corrys, rams

PH- 7.9-8.1
GH- 240
KH- 180

the tank is divided into four sections so I decided on having one species per section
although right now the last section is empty until I get another sponge to cover this filter like I have with the one on the other side
the aquarium is currently home to

7 ghost shrimp, many types of snails
3 bumble bee gobys (freshwater ones)
2 dwarf gouramis ( got one from my girlfriend so i added another for a pair eventually they will go to a different tank)
3 mini moth catfish
3 adult male and 3 adult female endler's livebearers + about 6-8 babies

currently the endlers and catfish are housed together but plan on moving the catfish to the 4th section eventually
possibly increase the number of catfish and gobys to around 4-5 eventually
I also plan on redoing the tank a bit, adding in more rocks and moving some plants around

Current plants
1 banana plant
2 amazon sword plants
1 anubias sp
many java ferns
and some duck weed

heres some pictures lemmie know how it looks and if i should do anything better or differently.

the aquarium as of today, only the 3 inhabited sections are visible
The Endlers are really not letting m take a good photo as they keep zipping around the place but heres like the best shot after 30 mins of trying, the white dots on the rock are Nerite snail eggsthe male Neon blue gourami, hes in full breeding color right now and is making a bubble nesta really pretty ramshorn snail, i have 5 ramshorns in this aquariumthe Female Flame gourami c:Nerite snails c:The mini moth catfish c: fairly visible compared to other catfish I have had especially after I added endlers to the section its inGhost shrimp are adorable, ones currently pregnant but now shown heregobys are the main stars of this tank they are just so adorable
Shifumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 02:07 AM   #2
Shifumi
Algae Grower

So I went down to the local River and found some nice stones aswell as some small sticks and a Massive driftwood with lots of roots, it looks amazing, sadly after spending about 2 hours cleaning it, I realized it is to big to fit into any of the 10 gallon sections with out reducing it in size, and that will make it look less amazing, so I think ill save it till I get my old 20 gallon working, looks sweet , would be even more amazing if planted with java ferns or something. Im thinking how to remodle the aquarium with the stones I got, ill mess with it all today and see what looks good

Last edited by Shifumi; 07-24-2014 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: adding pictures
Old 07-24-2014, 03:56 AM   #3
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

how big is the goby section and how do the 3 get along with each other?

Also, how big is that mini moth and how are you liking it? you have just one or several?

Interesting tank idea.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:32 AM   #4
Shifumi
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
how big is the goby section and how do the 3 get along with each other?

Also, how big is that mini moth and how are you liking it? you have just one or several?

Interesting tank idea.
The mini moths are really cool, I am a fan of the camouflage colors, I currently have 3, they are all about 0.75-1 inch. they do enjoy other mini moths and i hear they get about 1.2 inches as adults.they are not herbivores(they are slight omnivores with a preference for live food)! they love worms of all types, eating frozen food and live food, i have read that they can eat pellet/flake food, but i dont really think they like it all that much.

all the tank sections are exactly 10 gallons and the dimensions are 12 L 14 W 14 H for each section

The three gobys are very peaceful to one another actually! they seem to have loosely defined territories that seem to vanish when its feeding time. some times they just set next to one another, seems they like to be close sometimes? never have they had any problems with one another, they will eat shrimp babies if they can find them, not a shrimp safe fish, also only eats moving food, if its frozen it has to be in a current, or another fish is already eating it.

just spent my afternoon till now working on making the tank look better- added more surface area for the gobys and a complete rework of the gobys and catfish/endler sections. also did a 30% water change photos will be up soonish
Old 07-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
DumpyDuck
Algae Grower

That is a crazy chunk of roots, any idea what kind of tree that is from? Definitely worth saving rather than altering to fit in a smaller tank.
DumpyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #6
Shifumi
Algae Grower

I decided on saving the wood for a 20 gallon ill setup eventually, im not sure what tree it is, found it at the river so its already water logged and all that c:
I also now have some pictures of the tanks new look, water quality is still not clear in these shots as the aquarium was just finished being worked on

Old 07-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
Shifumi
Algae Grower

OK it has been a few more days and I did another water change about 30%
and i worked on the two sections i did not work on last time, both are not as great as i want them still-
im wanting some smaller plants to replace the huge amazon swords i have.

Babies:
i saw a 4 milimeter ghostshrimp that is very much alive and ok with the gobys
the endlers population increased by 2, they number around 12 now

ok so I was cleaning out and getting rid of this small about 2 gallon aquarium thats just full of small invertebrates- seed shrimp. clam shrimp, various worms, and tiny snails,
I found that the tiny snails i had there have multiplied so much and i now have about 20-30 of them, from the original 3 or 4 that i got by accident

I also know that they are Planorbis arnoldi (a mini ramshorn) that never uprights its shell. They stay small only reaching a max of 6mm in length.
im adding them to the newly made empty section with the small sword plant,

Im thinking about giving the hara jerdoni their own sections- the one with the small sword plant. they should be happy there after i add some leaves and maybe diffrent plants, im going to try to breed them aswell as up the group fro 3 to 5

thats all for now

Old 07-28-2014, 02:27 AM   #8
awesometim1
Planted Member

Whrre did you get that tank? Looks good for breeding.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:00 AM   #9
Shifumi
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesometim1 View Post
Whrre did you get that tank? Looks good for breeding.
I got it off of Cregslist, it would be perfect for breeding, the sections are great for separating fish, but are to big for new born fry and shrimps the huge surface area helps so much too! it has a slightly larger surface area then a regular 55 gallon
Old 07-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
awesometim1
Planted Member

Niice... time to search craigslist!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:50 AM   #11
Shifumi
Algae Grower

happy Cregslist hunting, it has some amazing deals if you look long enough.
-
small update I found one of the baby ghostshrimp in my aquarium and took some pictures

Tags
anchor catfish, bumble bee goby, dwarf gourami, endler livebearer, snails and shrimp