Fluval Edge 12Gal - revived
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
TheAnswerIs42
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval Edge 12Gal - revived

I got this tank for my Birthday in April of this year and loved it immediately. The design is very contemporary and it looks great right out of the box.

I was so excited to set it up and get fish, and shrimp, and plants, and rocks, and driftwood and all that i needed to start a great aquarium, I lost sight of my goal, to construct a piece of living art - or to try my best.

After three month of constantly sticking my arms and hands in the tank, making minor adjustments here and there, I was no happier with how things were turning out.

To add another level of complexity, my water parameters were completely out of whack and I had a MAJOR pond snail problem from buying bunch plants (I don't have a quarantine tank).

I planned what the new look would be and drew many pictures and looked at MANY plant varieties.

So yesterday I completely took everything apart, all inhabitants were kept in 30gal tub here's the result, a freshly planted tank with aquasoil, the same old DIY CO2 system and my Light mod. Now only time will tell if all my homework has paid off.

Here is the finished product in the morning of Day 1!

Inhabitants:
5 Glass Catfish
9 Celestial Pearl Danios
3 Red Cherry Shrimp
TheAnswerIs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
pewpewkittah
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I like it! I really like how you kind of combined the iwagumi and Dutch look. Only suggestion I have is to get a white bsckground, it would make everything pop!

pewpewkittah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
TheAnswerIs42
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewpewkittah View Post
I like it! I really like how you kind of combined the iwagumi and Dutch look. Only suggestion I have is to get a white bsckground, it would make everything pop!
Thanks, that's what I was going for. I love the look of iwagumi, but find it a bit too minimalist for this tank. I like to have distinct pockets of plants that make it pleasing to the eye and easy to look at with many textures and varying heights, plus it creates some open swimming space.
Thanks for the advice. There is a white wall behind the tank, but in the pic it is hard to see cause I took this picture this morning before the room got bright. I would like to get a plain white background, but I'll wait until I have to do a big water change. The Fluval Edge is a pretty tank, but can present quite a few challenges working in and around the tank.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:37 AM   #4
Varmint
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Nice. It will be so pretty when it fills in. My Edge has been evolving for a year. I love it (by far my favorite tank of three). Make sure you take pictures every few weeks. It will give you a lot of perspective on how things are progressing. Doing so may even help you make further design choices.
Varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:15 AM   #5
UDGags
aka Nick

Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags

Liking the new design, should fill in nicely.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #6
TheAnswerIs42
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
Nice. It will be so pretty when it fills in. My Edge has been evolving for a year. I love it (by far my favorite tank of three). Make sure you take pictures every few weeks. It will give you a lot of perspective on how things are progressing. Doing so may even help you make further design choices.
I'm taking a picture everyday and planning on putting into a time lapse video.... Hopefully I can stick with it and actually finish the project. It will be cool to see how it ages over the next month or so.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
TheAnswerIs42
Algae Grower

Default Day 3

Day 3 and all is well.

I got an app from the Tropica site and decided to follow the steps through the first 90 days. The app is easy to follow and covers a 90 day period divided into 17 steps.

So under the direction of the Tropica App on day 3, this morning, I did about 50% water change, maybe a little less. Yesterday I read ahead and saw they suggested getting some amano shrimp or other algae eater to keep algae growth down and the food scraps down.

I didn't want to wait until today because a little bit of detritus had built up from skittish fish not eating too much because they are still adjusting to the new environment. So I went to my LFS yesterday and got 3 small amano shrimp

The shrimp have already devoured a lot of algae that had built up on the rocks from the last setup. I look forward to seeing how they keep up as the tank ages.

Fish seem really happy, although my GH and kH are both at 3 and a pH of 6.4. The water quality is all good with ammonia and nitrite at 0 and nitrate at 5. That was yesterday.

This morning I did the water change and will do water tests later it the day.

I am trying to raise the kH and pH as I would prefere the water to have neutral pH and higher kH for the shrimp, but I just read last night the the ADA soil lowers the pH . I wonder if I should be messing around with the pH and adding Seachem alkaline buffer or just leave things alone? Fish seam to be fine and are not exhibiting signs of stress.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #8
TheAnswerIs42
Algae Grower

Default Day 5

The plants have grown quite a lot.

I am really cutting back on feeding. These guys eat so little (CPDs). They miss most of the food that I give them, I think because they are just so tiny and don't need much.

The glass cats also eat very little. One cube of bloodworms lasts for over 5 feedings.

The 3 amanos I added a few days ago are doing great and not hassling the Cherry shrimp and have cleaned up a lot of my overfeeding mistakes.

I wonder if my lighting is too strong? I have the standard light bar that comes with the Edge. I think it has 48 SMC 5032 LEDs white with a warmth of about 6500K. I added an additional 63 SMC 5050 LEDs white with a warmth of 6000K. The additional light bar rests on the top glass infront of the hood.

Does anyone want to weigh in on my setup?

Last edited by TheAnswerIs42; 07-19-2014 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: Hit save too soon
Old 07-24-2014, 04:27 AM   #9
TheAnswerIs42
Algae Grower

12 new Corydoras pygmaeus added. They are so fantastically adorable and love schooling with the glass cats. they are even smaller than the CPDs at this point and also spend time
Swimming with them. Hopefully they draw then out some more over the next few weeks.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:31 AM   #10
Lil' Swimz$
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

The rescape looks fantastic! Would love to see pics of the fish

20g
Lil' Swimz$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #11
TheAnswerIs42
Algae Grower

Day 10

Plants are looking great. The Dwarf Hair Grass is sending out lots of runners and growing very fast. What I'm getting really excited about is the didiplis, it has really started to take off these last few days.

Yesterday I visited a LFS and couldn't resist the cuteness of some Pygmy Cories. I've been doing lots of research for what would be a good fish to keep with my CPDs and have read a few accounts that these little guys make perfect companions to small, shy fish. So I bit the bullet and got 12. Already the CPDs are much braver and don't swim for the hills as soon as someone enters the room and the glass cats are thrilled to have some more fish to school with. It was hilarious, last night as the room was getting dark all the cories and glass cats were schooling, but the cories are just so tiny and act so big that the glass cats didn't quite know what to do about the whole situation.

This morning I saw for the first time the CPDs dashing to surface with the pygmy cories, but they didn't really know why. They sort of got about an inch from the surface and then before they realized it, the cory had taken a breathe and was darting back down and the CPD was just left hanging there looking lost.

Already the Cories have made my tank so much more alive and brought so much character out of the other fish.

I know I am really pushing the fish to gallon ratio, but my water quality has been great and I have a really well established filter, plus these guys are so freakin small, i wonder how much they would actually contribute to the bioload. Small fish such as these do not really compare to the pooping factories like gold fish. Anyway, I will monitor my water closely for the next week and see how the bacteria do.

Here is a picture of things as of right now.... fish are all hiding because they are camera shy.

Last edited by TheAnswerIs42; 07-24-2014 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 07-28-2014, 02:16 AM   #12
TheAnswerIs42
Algae Grower

Default Day 12

Added 6 RCS today and an otto to help with the green algae growing on the glass and plants.
Also got some flourish excel as I think my plants are co2 deprived. Ever since I got the Cories, and had to lower the water level for them so they could breathe, the plants have slowed in their growth and algae has started growing on the glass.

I decided to take this on from 2 fronts, I got an otto and some more shrimp.

I think of the original 3 rcs that came from the old setup, the sole survivor was Big Red Momma. She has a great shine to her carapace and distinctive, pink racing stripe down her back. As soon as I dropped them in, she came out immediately to say hi. All of the news are full grown and one is well berried. Hopefully, but most likely doubtfully, some of the shrimplets will survive and not become fish food.

The otto immediately got to work on the glass and is doing a stellar job.

To solve my co2 dilemma, I tried a new way to diffuse the gas into the water. I tried an air stone again but the bubbles were too big. I also tried a stick from the garden that was dried out and had a very porous core; it kinda worked, the bubbles were small, but not small enough.

Finally I had a brainwave and went down to the street and bought a cigarette off someone, cut the filter off, took the paper wrapping off the filter and shoved into the air hose. Next I positioned it so that the bubbles came out right in line with the water flow and HUZZAH! The bubbles are tiny and instantly dispersed all over he tank.

It's kinda late right now, so I have disconnected the co2 for the night, but going to run it all day tomorrow while I am at work and see how things go.

According to the co2 calculator, with a pH of 7.2 and kH of 5, my co2 is at 0.53ppm which is terribly low

Let's see how things progress. I think the best thing to do would be to invest in a co2 indicator.

Damn, this is a costly hobby! But I do loves me fish
Old 07-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #13
vanish
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswerIs42 View Post
Ever since I got the Cories, and had to lower the water level for them so they could breathe, the plants have slowed in their growth and algae has started growing on the glass.
Forgive me, but what? What do cories have to do with water level?
Old 07-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #14
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
Forgive me, but what? What do cories have to do with water level?
Cories swim up to the top of the tank (often super fast) to get gulps of air. On an Edge, there is normally just that small hole, and they miss it or can't find it. Lowering the water level is a good idea, although it doesn't look good in an Edge. They aren't a good fish for this tank (I had them in my 12G Edge back when I had one).
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #15
TheAnswerIs42
Algae Grower

At first I wasn't too keen on lowering the water level but when the tank is full the top glass gets so many bubbles accumulating throughout the day that by the time I'm home from work and ready to enjoy looking at my fish, I can't see through in the top anyway. I just lowered it about a 1/4 inch and seems fine. When I get another aquarium I'm going to try cutting the top glass off. While a great design idea, it's not a practical one.

Now that it is lowered, the CPDs love playing in the water stream and bubbles caused from the HOB filter outflow.

Tags
celestial pearl danio, dwarf hairgrass carpet, fluval edge 12g, ghost catfish, rcs cherry shrimp