Show me your Spec! - Page 32
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #466
dru
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibs View Post
Ok mine is saltwater but saw this and said what the hell. It's only been up about a month. There is a shrimp hiding in there and 2 hermit crabs and 2 snails. Been looking for a fish but being very careful because I don't have a lid on it at the moment and most of the smaller fish for saltwater are jumpers.
Nice!

I have been wanting to buy a white SpecV for a reef setup. Did you keep the stock pump? What kind of filter media are you running?
dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #467
dcdttu
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just added a Finnex FugeRay 10" light to my Spec III. Fits perfectly and at least doubled if not tripled the light in my tank compared to the stock one. I was worried the 7000k lights would be too blue (I prefer a warm-looking planted tank), but they actually look great. I leave the moonlights off because they add too much blue (and the moon's light isn't blue anyway!).

I also got a new inhabitant, a slime mold! Apparently it's harmless. I can actually watch it moving through the day. It started on the ground this morning and is now arching its way across the glass. Those two pictures are about 1.5 hours apart. It's pretty fast.

I'll have to watch how the plants do with this light, and how the algae growth does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140725_131848.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	349290  

Name:	IMG_20140725_131934.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	349298  

Name:	PhotoGrid_1406310564358.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	349306  

Last edited by dcdttu; 07-25-2014 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: More info
dcdttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #468
gibs
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
Nice!

I have been wanting to buy a white SpecV for a reef setup. Did you keep the stock pump? What kind of filter media are you running?
Thanks!

Filtration is only live rock and and the mechanical sponge/carbon that came with the tank. I use media bags and buy my own carbon only run it when I need to. It has some bacteria media to but I would just use that for some GFO or something if phosphates get out of control.

Did swap out the stock pump with a minijet 606. Light is a coral compulsion PAR 30 18k bulb with 90 degree optics.
gibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #469
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey all,

I've had a couple Specs and love the look and form-factor but have always found myself wanting to tweak/mod the filtration. So, I finally decided to ditch the whole filter and go with a mattenfilter since I've been so happy with one (and Poret foam filters in general) in my main tank. The stock filter was very easy to remove - just silicone which cleaned up nicely with a razor blade. I used 1" 30ppi Poret and a small Jetlifter from swisstropicals.com, and I cut off the very bottom of the stock filter to use as a "gravel-guard" at the base of the foam. I have the front edge of the foam lined up with the frosted glass edge, and a Hydor Theo fits nicely as does the stock top. The foam is cut just slightly wider than the tank and stays in place by itself. 1" Poret works ok in this tank as it's only 7" wide or so, but in a larger tank the 2" foam is much more stable.

Not sure what I'll use it for, yet!
Old 07-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #470
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

Nice work. I'd love for you to put that in the Fluval spec mods thread. A nice copy paste would do fine.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #471
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Mark - done! I'd add that you could also re-use the Fluval pump and tubing as well, that'd be cool.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:03 AM   #472
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post
Thanks Mark - done! I'd add that you could also re-use the Fluval pump and tubing as well, that'd be cool.
I've reused it several times hehe. Thanks for doing that.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:11 AM   #473
difrent7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Finally rescaped my tank

Don't mind the bamboo regulator I was trying to get the co2 line down near the intake of the pump and use that to diffuse the co2 but couldn't get it to work properly.
difrent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #474
spdu4ia
Algae Grower