Are you a member of the AGA? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

View Poll Results: I'm a member of the AGA.
Yes 7 16.67%
No 17 40.48%
No but I am interested 17 40.48%
Enough useless polls already 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2004, 08:15 AM   #16
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

To join the AGA, all you have to do is subscribe to TAG. Thats it. You are a proud member. The magazine is international and has subscribers from around the world.

Sean, are you going to the convention? I am going with your buddy, staying at his house and everything!
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2004, 11:30 AM   #17
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H
To join the AGA, all you have to do is subscribe to TAG. Thats it. You are a proud member. The magazine is international and has subscribers from around the world.

Sean, are you going to the convention? I am going with your buddy, staying at his house and everything!
Going? I was possibly one of the first 5 people to register. I'm the chair of the Speakers Committee, I get to see that our international visitors are cared for. I'm also CO-Chair of the Auction and I'm trying very hard to make sure we have a great selection of plants for everyone to 'fight' over. Tissue culture may be a summer's past time for me.

Why do you want to stay at my buddy's house? He's not going to be there.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2004, 07:56 PM   #18
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

He better be there, I paid for his ticket/reservation! I am talking about Dr. Shawn Prescott!

I will tell you something else Sean, something I bet you didn't know! You wouldn't remember this, but you were actually one of the people who first inspired me to get into the hobby! In 1997 and 98, you answered many questions from me on the newsgroup rec.aquaria.

Here is one of your quotes that I stil have in my library: Sound familiar?

Light intensity in relation to CO2 (quote by Sean Murphy, Fisheries / Wetlands Biologist)

"Intensive light creates a higher photosynthesis rate in plants then does moderate or low levels of light. Ok, basic botany, Plants use light and CO2 to create sugars via photosynthesis, they use the sugars and O2 for respiration, synthesis, and growth. For some reason higher plants retard respiration and growth in tissues that are actively photosynthesizing, (ever wonder why a plant bends towards a light?). Active photosynthesis also assists the plant in the uptake of nutrients. The easy pathway for aquatic plants to obtain CO2 is when it is dissolved in water. The hard way is from the stripping of CO2 from bicarbonate dissolved in the water.

Problem 1)
High levels of photosynthesis require an adequate level of CO2 to maintain the process. If no CO2 is added to an intense light situation, the bicarbonates will be stripped leaving a free -OH molecule to combine with free +H (making H2O) that was set free when carbonic acid (dissolved CO2) dissociated. If there is another source of bicarbonate other then carbonic acid then +H made available from other acid's will be removed from solution to compensate for the increase in -OH. When the +H is taken up like this the pH rises. By not adding CO2 the pH swings in a limited body of water (aquarium) become quite large.

Problem 2)
Algae does not have a restriction on respiration during photosynthesis, when the plants start to slow down the photosynthetic pathways due to the lack of CO2, the uptake of nutrients also slows down. Algae take advantage of this situation taking up valuable nutrients while the higher plants are struggling for CO2. Algae bloom.

Aquariums are a balancing act, if you can find the right balance of light and CO2 addition then you should have an easier time maintaining a beautiful tank. If optimum growth is a goal you really need to cover the bases. If only good growth is a goal then you can do less intensive gardening, i.e. no CO2 additions, under a moderate light source."
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2004, 10:25 PM   #19
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

:lol: I meant 'my buddy' won't be home, he'll be at the convention.

You are right, I completely blocked out all memory of rec.aquaria. That is me though, my writing style hasn't changed a whole lot from then. You know it even sounded like I knew what I was talking about. Do you have any more of my 'gems' in storage?

I must have mixed my rec.aquaria memories into my APD memories which is an experience I'm never going to repeat. :?

Well I'm glad I had a positive effect on someone, had to happen once.

See you at the convention,

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.