Hunter X's Arduino Whole Tank Controller (52K Warning) - Page 14
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-17-2014, 01:50 AM   #196
bigd603
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I took the file down. I just noticed a couple errors that i need to correct, will put it back when its fixed.
bigd603 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 04:31 AM   #197
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd603 View Post
I'm pretty sure I can get a better price on all the components but $18 or $8.50 is a great price for custom PCBs.

What are the dimensions of your PcB? If it's 10cm x10cm or smaller you can get 10 of them from Seeedstudio or Iteadstudio for about $25 plus shipping. That's only $2.50 per board.

ITEAD Studio - Make innovation easier

Services : Seeed Studio Bazaar, Boost ideas, extend the reach
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers,iAqua Aquarium Controller , and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2014, 07:10 AM   #198
bigd603
Planted Member

I checked iteed out and they look pretty good, lots of reviews say they're pretty good quality with really fast turn around. I can definitely fit into the 10x10cm. I'm working on an alternative layout as well that moves the pH stamp and connector to the back, so you can still put other shields on top. I'm gonna make a whole new thread about this tomorrow to see how many people would be interested.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #199
bigd603
Planted Member

Hey guys, I just created a new thread with a final revised version of the Aqua Shield. Check it out here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=683913
Old 08-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #200
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Hello everyone. I finally got home and got my controller connected to my 120g tank. Its working like a charm. The ferts are dosing perfectly. All the components are turning off and on when they should. I still have two things I would like to add to it. I want to test and display the PH on the LCD and I have got to figure out how to use the wifi without locking the Arduino up if it doesn't resolve/connect to a website.

I'll post some pictures of it working away this evening.
HunterX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 05:34 AM   #201
paronaram
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

Welcome HOME!!!
No one give you hard time to cary this project around?

Again, awesome project!

Aram
paronaram is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #202
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by paronaram View Post
Welcome HOME!!!
No one give you hard time to cary this project around?

Again, awesome project!

Aram
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I saw this message and then got busy and forgot to reply. Lucky for me I didn't carry it back to the states. I was able to mail it home through USPS with no issues. The did break one of the joints free on the lid. It wasn't a big deal. A little wood glue and it was as good as new!

Bump: Sorry I still haven't posted any new pictures. When I get home from work I start playing with everything and forget to take updated pictures. I'll get some posted soon. I did order the ATLAS ph kit. My first impression is a good one. I'm only having one issue. It's not calibrating correctly. It calibrates to 7.0 ph with no issues but will not calibrate to 4.0 or 10.0. I contacted the ATLAS customer support and they responded right away. I haven't been able to work through their troubleshooting instructions yet but should be able to tomorrow night. If anyone is interetested in adding the abiltiy to track PH to their controller, I really think this is the way to go.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #203
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Hey guys, I just created a new thread with a final revised version of the Aqua Shield. Check it out here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=683913
Bigd,

I'm not able to see your thread. I get an error that says I do not have permission to see it. Whats up with that? HA HA HA. I want to check out where you are with it.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #204
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
Bigd,

I'm not able to see your thread. I get an error that says I do not have permission to see it. Whats up with that? HA HA HA. I want to check out where you are with it.
The mods closed it because they consider it a group buy. He will post another thread once the boards are in hand.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #205
bigd603
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
Bigd,

Yeah, Gus is right, they took it down :-/

I got the PCBs in the other day, and unfortunately there were broken traces on each of the boards and all the holes in the ICSP area were connected to one another. That really bummed me out. To make matters worse, the manufacturer wouldn't replace the boards without paying full price. So that also sucked. But I found another company that has been getting rave reviews and has a money back satisfaction guarantee (and they can do ENIG for only a dollar more!), so I placed an order with them. The bright side of it is that it allowed me to make some modifications and improve the layout of a few things. Hopefully they will be here soon. Reviewers say they typically take about 2 weeks from date of order to arrival in the US. I'm also leaving for a trip to Alaska on the 28th, so I'm REALLY hoping they get here before then so I can get them out to everyone before I leave.

But, I will definitely post pictures here once I get them in hand.

By the way, Darrin, welcome home!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:59 PM   #206
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Yeah, Gus is right, they took it down :-/

I got the PCBs in the other day, and unfortunately there were broken traces on each of the boards and all the holes in the ICSP area were connected to one another. That really bummed me out. To make matters worse, the manufacturer wouldn't replace the boards without paying full price. So that also sucked. But I found another company that has been getting rave reviews and has a money back satisfaction guarantee (and they can do ENIG for only a dollar more!), so I placed an order with them. The bright side of it is that it allowed me to make some modifications and improve the layout of a few things. Hopefully they will be here soon. Reviewers say they typically take about 2 weeks from date of order to arrival in the US. I'm also leaving for a trip to Alaska on the 28th, so I'm REALLY hoping they get here before then so I can get them out to everyone before I leave.

But, I will definitely post pictures here once I get them in hand.

By the way, Darrin, welcome home!
Nice! Did you order ENIG for the new ones?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2014, 02:03 AM   #207
bigd603
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Nice! Did you order ENIG for the new ones?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Sure did! I am stoked about that, the gold makes PCBs look pro. I'll get some pics of the faulty boards up for you guys in a little bit so you can at least get a good idea of what they will look like.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #208
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks bigd!
Old 08-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #209
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I just wanted to drop in and say this is an awesome build! Excellent job Hunter! I somehow missed this thread until recently (I think because I was so engrossed in my own project). I finally read through the whole thing, and I'm super impressed.

One thing that might make things cleaner for scheduling is to use the Time.Alarms library. I used it in my project, and it's nice that you don't have to check time in the loop to catch things. It also makes it easy to change the schedule. If you read the docs, you can adjust the library to do up to 255 timers. It has quite a bit of functionality.

Here is an example. This one line below would be executed at startup and creates a schedule that'll run a routine called "lightsOn" every day at 11:00am.

Code:
Alarm.alarmRepeat(11,00,0, lightsOn);
The lightsOn routine could look like this:

Code:
void lightsOn()
{
   digitalWrite(pwrLightPin, HIGH); // this turns the relay on
}
That's it — super easy! It also opens the doors to making it pretty easy to edit the schedule through a menu, and saving that in EEPROM.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2014, 05:59 AM   #210
bigd603
Planted Member

Check out what came in the mail today...

The AquaShield boards!

I think they look great! I tested the pump controls, and they all work flawlessly! Really stoked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.