Another New Member!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 07-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
PBiddy412
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Another New Member!

Hey all!

Name is Patrick. Joined the forums because I plan on getting an aquarium set up. I'd say I'm new to the hobby as I never had an official tank.

I'm currently planning on doing a 55 gallon tank planted with fish eventually. Currently researching the cycling method and the best place to get a 55 gallon. Any recommendations would be good!

Hope to become part of the community! Lots of information is on here and the site is easy on the eyes too. Look forward to posting with you all!
PBiddy412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Welcome to TPT!

The 55g tank is one of the hardest to plant. You might want to check out the 40g Breeder. Petco runs their $1/gallon sales every several month - that's a good time to pick up a $120 tank for $40.

v3
Old 07-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Hello and welcome!!

I agree with OVT skip the 55 gallon and go with either a 40 breeder or a 75 gallon. You won't regret it. The reason we are suggesting this is the fact that the 55 gallon is so narrow from front to back, making it hard to not only fit things like large driftwood and stone in but it is extremely hard to creat depth and form a cohesive aquascape. I know you may be think you don't care about an aquascape, but in a few month you may, and with a little planning ahead of time you can have the right tank to help out with that aquascape. I personally love my 75 gallon planted and would suggest that if you want a bigger tank, but you cannot go wrong with a 40 breeder, I believe with that aquarium you get the largest amount of floor space to gallons of any standard aquarium. Yeah you probably have a greater floor to gallon ratio in frag tanks but those are usually custom made.
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
DETAquarium
Shrimp Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Welcome, we are glad to have you.
DETAquarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
PBiddy412
Algae Grower

Thanks all for the responses.

I guess I will be going with a 40 gallon breeder then if you are saying its easier to plant! I prefer easier since this is brand new to me. I'd also prefer to make a nice aquascape now because it will be a main focal point in my basement.

As for getting the aquarium and equpiment for the 40 gallon breeder, where do you think is the best place to buy stuff and what is regarded as better equipment. I'm willing to spend a little bit for quality but I also don't want top notch stuff as I think it will get to pricy. I'll also try to wait for a petco sale if thats the only time I can get a 40 gallon breeder for that price.

Thanks again all! I'll continue reading and await your responses!
Old 07-17-2014, 09:57 PM   #6
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Planning a new tank can be a bit stressful, given all the choices out there. Try to take it easy and enjoy the process.

Do check your local Craig's List - that's your bargain basement

Check this forum's WTS and RAOK sections - good stuff from good people. Do check the sellers' feedback and get in touch with them personally.

Otherwise, do support your local fish stores but always check the prices on-line first: Amazon, Big Al's, Marine Depot, Ken's Fish, and, of course, our sponsors. Most of them have 10% off coupons, if you ask around.

v3
Old 07-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #7
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Welcome to TPT!

I was in Petsmart last night and they had 40B on sale for $80.

The dollar-a-gallon sale I think has already come and gone for this season, so might be a while before you can find them again for much cheaper unless you find one used.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #8
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Welcome...
Check out the low tech section on here. Good place to start from and easier on the pocket. Asking questions before buying is a good way to keep from buying something
you don't need or want.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:31 AM   #9
Raith
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Welcome, Patrick. Enjoy your stay.
Raith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:40 AM   #10
greaser84
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

The Petco dollar a gallon sale ended on the 12th.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:09 AM   #11
180g
Planted Tank Enthusiast

welcome to TPT!

like said above, Craig's list has some KILLER deals.
(I'm 13 )
180g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
PBiddy412
Algae Grower

Been looking on Craig's List and nothing has come up. Its weird people are selling 40g breeders for 75 dollars when a brand new one at Petsmart cost 80 dollars.

Hoping to get one soon so I can start asking about what equipment to get! Going to be awhile until I have fish, that is for sure!
Old 07-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #13
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

$75 might not be bad if it comes with a decent stand, filter or light.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:06 AM   #14
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Agree with Laural, sometimes a used package deal can be better depending on what all it comes with. In my area you can get full setups with lights, filters and stands usually with the aquarium at 1/4 the price of buying it all new, often times the lights aren't what you are going to want for a planted aquarium but it may get you started. When buying used aquariums, or the cheap $1-$2 a gallon aquariums, there are a few things you need to look for:

Your main focus needs to me on the silicon seals, make sure they look good, there aren't any gashes in them, no chunks missing, and when you press it with your finger it should be squishy not hard as a rock. Another test I do is where the glass meets in the corners on the outside edge, I will poke it with my thumb nail, it is feels squishy and does not leave a dent that is a good sign.

Second focus should be on the glass, check all the corners for chips, missing chunks, and cracks, then check the entire glass surface, even the bottom! Give the glass a gentle push, it shouldn't bend but should give slightly (depending on thickness). Look at the front and back and check for any signs of bowing, this is a bad sign and any bowing is not acceptable to me. Take time and look at the plastic trim of the aquarium, look for cracks and missing pieces, if the aquarium has a center brace take time to look at it, grab it and bend it slightly back and forth and check for repairs, this is the most common thing to break on the trim.

If all of that looks good, if you are still unsure ask to fill it up, most people will let you fill it up, if they don't want to fill it up for you and you aren't 100% sure on it feel free to post pictures here or just pass on it, there are always nicer people out there. It is also good to take these steps when buying aquariums from the store, often times they are quickly made and mistakes happen.
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #15
PBiddy412
Algae Grower

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/for/4576563107.html

Found this on Craigslist. Just wanted your opinion if the price is right for the stuff included. It's the only 40 I've found with a stand for the price.

Probably won't get this. Just trying to see what a fair price would be in case something does come up.

Also considering the 75 gallon as it will fit where I'm putting the aquarium.

Liked the look of this one:
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/for/4565199702.html

Last edited by PBiddy412; 07-21-2014 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: wrong link