De-worming snails and shrimps of internal parasites.. Can it be done?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)
Exclamation

De-worming snails and shrimps of internal parasites.. Can it be done?

Like the title suggests, is it possible to de-worm snails and shrimps of internal parasites? Thing is, I have a TON of ramshorn snails, MTS snails, scud gammarus shrimp, dwarf shrimp culls in a tank that I use to collect a whole lot of them when they overpopulate my planted tanks; it's a tank without fish, by the way, and I would LOVE to feed them to my clown loaches and other big fish, BUT I fear that they may have nematode parasites in them such as callamanus worms; you know, those nasty, disgusting, deadly killer parasitic red worms that infect fish inside of their gastrointestinal tracts, and then hang out on a fish's anus.. Ugh. So, here's my plan.. I have a good number of de-worming medicated fish flake food with deworming active ingredients medications such as: praziquentel, levamisole, fenbendazole. And I also have powdered prazi, powder fenbendazole, powdered metronidazole to dose in the tank too, and my idea is by feeding them the deworming medicated fish flakes and in conjunction with the meds in the water column would help them de-worm, defecate, purge themselves of the worms and be killed by the medications that is in the water? Or would I be risking it and end up killing all of my snails and shrimps? If the snails and shrimps have internal parasites, is it too late, it's inside of them forever, and I shouldn't even bother trying to de-worm them? I have a ton of ramshorns that are ready to unload that I want to feed my loaches, but I am sick-to-the-stomach worried I might infect them with worms and have to deal with parasites. I've been putting some thought about experimenting with one small cheap healthy fish eating one of the scuds, and crushed ramshorns I have in the tank to test to see if they would contract any worms.. Should I give it a shot? Or try my idea of de-worming the inverts with the medicated flakes and then killing the worms that come into contact with meds in the water, OR just going with only one kind of med treatment without the other?

What do you think, guys? What would work?

I'd really appreciate any input.

Thanks, all.

-William
250 gallon Community Black Bar Red hooks/Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roselines/ Monster fish tank
NeonFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Don't try No Planaria. It is supposed o be for Planaria and says safe for fish...
But I just used it to kill the Planaria in one of my 10g tanks and it also killed all my snails. Since I smash pond snails whenever I can I didn't have any full sized ones of those but many smaller ones which I'll never see to remove are dead and all the full grown ram snails also. They were not as hard to find. Also killed the Nerites.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Check out API's General Cure.
I have also read that dog de-worming could work?

v3
Old 07-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
aquariumhobbyist
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

fenbendazole kills snails. It's actually one of the ways people tell the medication is at the right dosage... If it kills snails, it could kill the shrimp too...

Also, I had no idea shrimp could carry callamanus worms or other parasites? Is there any source for your concerns that you can share?
aquariumhobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Fenbendazole does not kill snails at the correct dosage! I used it in my snail breeding tank to kill a hydra infestation. It only takes away tiny amount, half a pinch.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumhobbyist View Post
fenbendazole kills snails. It's actually one of the ways people tell the medication is at the right dosage... If it kills snails, it could kill the shrimp too...

Also, I had no idea shrimp could carry callamanus worms or other parasites? Is there any source for your concerns that you can share?
Yes, shrimps can harbor some parasites..

Ghost shrimp is one.

And thanks for the responses guys.. I'll make sure when I plan to medicate fenbendazole, that I don't overdose. And as for API General cure, hmmm it's for fish, and API doesn't state on package if it harms or doesn't harm invertebrates; so, still not so sure about dosing it. And I heard dog dewormers contain levamisole and sometimes kill snails.. Hit and miss.. Shucks...
250 gallon Community Black Bar Red hooks/Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roselines/ Monster fish tank
Old 07-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #7
OVT
Carpe Diem

General Cure did not kill snails several times that I've used it. Never tried it with shrimp.

v3
Old 07-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

Really?? Hmm! I guess it's worth a try. I'll see if I can incorporate it in the tank water along with medicated food for them. I might put a few snails and shrimps in a smaller tank to experiment. Don't want to run the risk of losing the whole population of them.

Thanks for your input, OVT.

Any more of you guys have any thoughts on my current situation?

Thanks, all.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

The active ingredients in API General Cure are metronidazole & praziquantel. Both will not kill snails.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

Sounds good. It is definitely worth medicating with API's GC then. I heard prazi is really safe, but I didn't know if metro is either. Now I know.. Thanks. I'll see if I can keep this thread updated on how well my shrimps/snails tolerate the meds. I'll let you guys know if things go good, or bad..
Old 07-16-2014, 10:12 PM   #11
OVT
Carpe Diem

I recommend bumping up your surface agitation during treatment.
Looking forward to your results, friend.

v3
Old 07-16-2014, 10:49 PM   #12
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I recommend bumping up your surface agitation during treatment.
Will do. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #13
Bingo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fenbendazole does not kill snails or shrimp if dosed correctly; I have sucessfully eradicated an influx of hydra from my tank by dosing 0.01g Panacure deworming granules as it's fenbendazole in it's purest form, my Ramshorns and shrimp colony survived to tell the tale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:49 AM   #14
wheatiesl337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

Praziquentel will also eliminate some pests and is shrimp and snail safe. I have used it to treat headworms on dwarf shrimp with success. I found fenben, in shrimp-safe doses, to be safe for snails excluding nerites.
wheatiesl337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:33 AM   #15
mayanjungledog
Geek

PTrader: (62/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Fenbendazole does not kill snails or shrimp if dosed correctly; I have sucessfully eradicated an influx of hydra from my tank by dosing 0.01g Panacure deworming granules as it's fenbendazole in it's purest form, my Ramshorns and shrimp colony survived to tell the tale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've used half your dose for hydra and it killed about a dozen nerites in my tank. Ramshorn and pond snails were not touched at all and did well.
mayanjungledog is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
callamanus worms, deworming, internal parasites, parasites, worms