Planted 5g algae growth & Flourish Excel
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-20-2004, 06:08 PM   #1
aspiringangel

PTrader: (0/0%)

So I used to have DIY CO2 using a bell as the method of diffusion in a 5g with about 4wpg. The plants did absolutely fabulously - I had some dwarf hygro, a lobelia cardinalis, some unnamed plant, and some rotala indica. They all grew huge under the influence of the CO2 (and no other fertilization) and there was almost no algae - some hair algae, initially, but I pulled it off and it never grew back.

Then I decided that the bell was taking up waaay too much room in the that little tiny tank and tried using Flourish Excel. Well, dontcha know, the algae came back with a vengeance! I've got some brown algae, a ton of hair algae, and something that is attacking the edges of the leaves and eventually covers the entire leaf, and it's a sort of dark browny-green, not slimey. So I let the tank lapse, unsure of what to do. I decided to clean it up a little this weekend, cut a lot of affected stuff out and planted a new plant. New plant has been in there 2 days and already showing signs of getting that browny-green stuff on the edges of the leaves!!!

Questions:
For those of you who use Excel in your nano tanks, do you follow directions? Or do you add more / less? Why isn't it as good as the DIY?! Should I just forget about the Excel and put the (big) bell back in there?

What kind of algae is this greeny-brown stuff?

Do you dose other nutrients regularly? I never added any other nutrients when I had the DIY going, and everything was going swimmingly!
aspiringangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2004, 01:18 AM   #2
NFish
Planted Member

Location: Colorado, USA, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

can't you make a smaller bell or diffuse the co2 into the filter?
John 3:16 Romans 10:9
NFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 01:27 AM   #3
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Id figure out a better bell or some other system.. (something im trying to figure out next.. after I get my first planted tank started)
Old 04-28-2004, 03:42 AM   #4
Reagan88
Algae Grower

Dwarf hygro? Do you have a latin name for it?
Hygrophila polysperma?
Reagan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:29 AM   #5
trenac
Wannabe Guru

I have a 12G that I use Excel in and have just a small amount of algae growth. I only dose a 1/2cc every other day or less. If the old way was working better for you than I would go back to it. It may not be the excel but another inbalance causing the algae growth.

To help ID the algae try this link: http://www.plantedtank.net/algae.html