Bloody Mary Shrimp - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #16
bandaiban
Planted Member

PTrader: (99/100%)

I just got them a few months ago. I gotta admit though, the parents are gorgeous. Heres some pictures of the young ones i got and their parents. The baby shrimps are very orange. I don't see any with color mutation you have yet. I think if a lot of culling is needed to keep the nice color, i would rather just buy PFR instead. It's not like these shrimps are cheap either.

bandaiban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #17
agro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimko View Post
I don't think there is a pure strain of these shrimp. The black shrimp was red. I have a couple that are turning red, maroon, to black. The transparent ones are all from my original 10, no indication that they were not Bloody Mary.

The male you have will probably turn black with time.
x_X
Had for a few months now, looking real dark but not really changing. Believe it 's the true bloody mary look, a really dark red, sadly can't get a great picture.

I did have one on purchase come in with a shade of blue/transparency, she molted and came out great.

I'd be culling for physical mutations also, not just the red but keeping short rostrum and shell form when able. Increase that culling 99%!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandaiban View Post
I just got them a few months ago. I gotta admit though, the parents are gorgeous. Heres some pictures of the young ones i got and their parents. The baby shrimps are very orange. I don't see any with color mutation you have yet. I think if a lot of culling is needed to keep the nice color, i would rather just buy PFR instead. It's not like these shrimps are cheap either.
I can easily see the saddle/organs of the shrimp and there's transparency, looks PFR to me.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #18
bandaiban
Planted Member

PTrader: (99/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agro View Post
Had for a few months now, looking real dark but not really changing. Believe it 's the true bloody mary look, a really dark red, sadly can't get a great picture.

I did have one on purchase come in with a shade of blue/transparency, she molted and came out great.

I'd be culling for physical mutations also, not just the red but keeping short rostrum and shell form when able. Increase that culling 99%!

I can easily see the saddle/organs of the shrimp and there's transparency, looks PFR to me.

Heres a better picture of her.
bandaiban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 03:44 AM   #19
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

"I can easily see the saddle/organs of the shrimp and there's transparency, looks PFR to me."

Bloody Mary's you can see through. PFR are opaque and not able to see the saddle. That's why they are called painted.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:45 AM   #20
agro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandaiban View Post
Heres a better picture of her.
Wouldn't really know until we cut her open .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Bloody Mary's you can see through. PFR are opaque and not able to see the saddle. That's why they are called painted.
I get opposite results. So Fire Red/taiwan red basically PFR that's able to see saddle?
Old 07-17-2014, 04:00 AM   #21
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Fire red you can see the saddle. Painted is so thick you are not able to see inside. heh At least that's the standard I've always gone by.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:03 AM   #22
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

Thems some beautiful Bloody Shrimp!
newbieplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #23
Tanman19az
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (75/100%)

I'm feeling the same way with mine...I never liked these chocolate neo color strains because of the amount of culling involved, however the color of these BMS were too amazing to pass up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tanman19az is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #24
jimko
Puzzled...

PTrader: (370/100%)

Here's a picture of a female that is going through the transition to maroon/black, like the male picture I had in the original post.

It's a pretty rare occurrence. They look like BMs and go through the coloring and maturation process the same, but a select few get so dark they turn purple then black. Sort of like black rose from the chocolate strain, but originating from the red strain. Perhaps I can get a good group of these and start my own Bludgeoned Mary line, hope they breed more true.

Also, I would like to mention IMHO that the red flesh is still a myth. I can see the clear line when the shrimp is about to molt. If you are trying to find a shrimp that is red from the inside out, don't buy the BM available on them market now.

Males are definitely darker and more colorful. The pictures Bandaiban has are probably females that need a couple a more molts to reach full BM potential.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3032.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	346418  

Bred and grown in the USA... Mostly! Proud member of SFBAAPS!
jimko is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #25
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Interesting.. great pic showing an example of a BMS transitioned to maroon/black, Jim.
250 gallon Community Black Bar Red hooks/Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roselines/ Monster fish tank
NeonFlux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.