Hunter X's Arduino Whole Tank Controller (52K Warning) - Page 13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #181
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allabouttheplants View Post
First of all, Hunter thank you for your service. i make it a habit to thank all who have served, and i am teaching my 5 y/o to have the same respect that the service men and women of our country deserve. Second all i can say is WOW on this build. i did a diy aquarium controller about 15 years ago, all timers, relays and 2 PLC ( setup by the maintenance tech for me) for the heating and cooling, no dosing. with all i have been reading about the arduino's lately i am becoming very interested, and my wife can tell you that is not a good thing when it comes to my wallet. you have taken every aspect of normal aquarium attention, and automated them all. i am curious to know who easy would this be for someone like me with very little experience with PCB and no experience with coding be to do?again great work and have a safe trip home.
Thanks for the reply and appreciation. It was a rough deployment. My wife ended up leaving me but it is good to know that our fellow countrymen and women appreciate the sacrifice of the men in women in uniform.

I'm almost done. I landed back in the states about a week ago. I will be here going through the demobilization process for a few weeks and then home sweet home.

As far as the controller and learning the code. I knew nothing about the Arduino or coding when I started this project. That's what made it so fun. There are so many resources online to help you out. I also bought a basic Arduino book that really helped a lot with the code. If you are scared to dive into this project because of the coding, you have no reason to be. Not to mention, we all will help!

Thanks again!
HunterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #182
allabouttheplants
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Are sainsmart good knockoffs of the arduino? i can find the mega, sensor shield, an relays for half the cost of arduino brand
allabouttheplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #183
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Are sainsmart good knockoffs of the arduino? i can find the mega, sensor shield, an relays for half the cost of arduino brand
I can't provide any input as I have not use any parts made by Sainsmart. I used most of the "Yourduino" brand. Which are less expensive then the Arduino line. They have performed flawlessly. I have included the web link below.

http://yourduino.com/sunshop2/

Last edited by HunterX; 05-11-2014 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 05-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #184
bigd603
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
I've had really good luck with Sainsmart. I have a relay board and 3.2" touchscreen LCD from them, both work flawlessly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
bigd603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:08 PM   #185
allabouttheplants
Algae Grower

As far as the power and step up/down, could a 350watt computer supply work. It has 12v 5v and 3.3, power.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #186
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
As far as the power and step up/down, could a 350watt computer supply work. It has 12v 5v and 3.3, power.
This was actually suggested to me on another forum when I inquired power supply and wiring. computer PSUs are rather large though
Old 05-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #187
allabouttheplants
Algae Grower

The overall size would not matter to me, it is more about cost. I can remove any unneeded wires and only have the power and ground. Plus it is fused, and most have a power filter on them.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #188
sumer
No Feeling is final

PTrader: (23/96%)

Wow. Such an awesome thread.
So many pages to read through. I am gonna start a similar project soon. I am getting acquainted with arduino right now.
I have a few more ideas in mind like adding a pH probe and a touchscreen for the interface.
I am glad to find this thread because now I know which people to ask if I encounter a problem

Thanks,
Sumer.
sumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #189
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumer View Post
Wow. Such an awesome thread.
So many pages to read through. I am gonna start a similar project soon. I am getting acquainted with arduino right now.
I have a few more ideas in mind like adding a pH probe and a touchscreen for the interface.
I am glad to find this thread because now I know which people to ask if I encounter a problem

Thanks,
Sumer.
Let me know how adding the pH probe goes. I have considered doing that as well.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #190
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

what was your process for bending the short bits of wire on the terminal strips? I'm having a hell of a time, and might just break down and use the 18g stranded wire I bought for my internal wiring.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #191
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
what was your process for bending the short bits of wire on the terminal strips? I'm having a hell of a time, and might just break down and use the 18g stranded wire I bought for my internal wiring.
Needle nose!
Old 07-16-2014, 11:14 PM   #192
bigd603
Planted Member

Hey guys, I have been working on putting together a custom Arduino Mega Shield that will accomodate a lot of what we're doing here. There's a place for an RTC, an Atlas Scientific ph curcuit (actually, it will fit any of their embedded circuits), a female bnc connecter, you can connect 12v power directly to the shield, which will run the up to 3 pumps connected to the on board screw terminals, there is a group of four I2C device input headers, an IR LED to control the Current Satelite+ (or anything else you can come up with!), and 6 headers for digital inputs/outputs. You can check out my Fritzing File here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/suu31k4vy3...kedAquatic.fzz

Would anyone be interested in buying some? I can get them ordered in batches of 3 for about $18 each, and i can do a bulk order for the components (not including the pH circuit and BNC connector). That will add about $30 to each unit. If I can get an order of 18 or more, then the price for the PCB drops down to like $8.50. The price of the components would drop as well, but I haven't done the math on that one yet.

Here's a render of how it will look:

What do you guys think?

Also, this is my first time doing anything like this so if there's any mistakes, feel free to let me know.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:34 PM   #193
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

So basically just drop that bad boy on top of a Mega?
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #194
bigd603
Planted Member

Yep, pretty much. There's a fair amount of room for expandability with he i2c area and the digital input headers. That's a great place to plug in some temperature sensors, for example.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:10 AM   #195
bigd603
Planted Member

I'm pretty sure I can get a better price on all the components but $18 or $8.50 is a great price for custom PCBs.