Nematode I think - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #16
ned99
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've recently noticed a similar kind of squiggly white nemotode in my RCS tank which had me worried. I was going to stop feeding for a bit but then this morning I watched my biggest RCS catch and eat one. I didn't think that shrimp actively hunted detritus worms but I swear that's what happened. Hopefully my homicidal RCS will take care of them for me!
ned99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #17
jeffturneraz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned99 View Post
I've recently noticed a similar kind of squiggly white nemotode in my RCS tank which had me worried. I was going to stop feeding for a bit but then this morning I watched my biggest RCS catch and eat one. I didn't think that shrimp actively hunted detritus worms but I swear that's what happened. Hopefully my homicidal RCS will take care of them for me!
Cool! I wish my amanos would eat these things!

I don't feed my amanos. They just clean the tank. In 4 weeks I have given them algae pellets once.

Grabbed a pic this morning of the worms in the sub since they aren't moving as fast and I could capture them in a pic a little better.

You can see how the front is bigger than the rear half.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2014, 01:45 AM   #18
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

Nematode or detritus worms..beneficial to your tank. They are cleaning up crap in your substrate. Parasitic nematodes are not common.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 11:48 PM   #19
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffturneraz View Post
The more I research worms, the more I realize there are multiple species of nematodes.

Ha! Nematoda is the name of a complete phylum, so yeah, there are quite a few different species.

Although there are a lot that are parasitic, there are a lot of free-living ones that are beneficial to ecosystems.

Although, based on your sketches, I'm not sure they are nematodes. I think most (all?) nematodes are fairly even in thickness their entire length. Also, nematodes can't 'stretch' like an earthworm can, they can only move back and forth (swimming in an 'S' shape like a snake). If those worms ever stretch/contract, they are probably something else (annelid, maybe?)

I'm kinda curious as to what they actually are...
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 11:57 PM   #20
jeffturneraz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
Ha! Nematoda is the name of a complete phylum, so yeah, there are quite a few different species.

Although there are a lot that are parasitic, there are a lot of free-living ones that are beneficial to ecosystems.

Although, based on your sketches, I'm not sure they are nematodes. I think most (all?) nematodes are fairly even in thickness their entire length. Also, nematodes can't 'stretch' like an earthworm can, they can only move back and forth (swimming in an 'S' shape like a snake). If those worms ever stretch/contract, they are probably something else (annelid, maybe?)

I'm kinda curious as to what they actually are...
Yeah, after watching them for a week now I feel like I know them lol.

They definitely have a "head" and they stretch and contract when they burrow and even crawl on top of sub.

Once they go "airborne" from the bottom though they do the "S" squiggle but seem to go wherever the current takes them.

Like a house fly, they don't seem to know or care where they are going it's just random swimming until they fall into a plant at which point they wiggle free then squiggle-swim some more.

My No Planaria arrives in the mail today.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:24 AM   #21
jeffturneraz
Planted Tank Obsessed

As stated last week I ordered No Planaria and I decided to dose it.

Followed instructions. Took carbon out of my hob filter, which left the sponge and my Seachem De*Nitrate media I have in a media bag.

Its chalk white...looks like chalk. I didn't realize it had some clumps.

I just dumped it in tank. Water is pretty cloudy and I imagine it will stay that way until the end of the 3 days.

Some of the clumps are being investigated by the amanos.

Been 15 mins. Still seeing worms.

Very hard to tell if they are behaving any different because they were erratic to begin with.

Will report back in next few days my results.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:08 AM   #22
jeffturneraz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Day 2 of 3 day treatment. The worms are still here although I have seen some dead ones caught it hairgrass...

Today I shook the powder up beforehand in a small tube with tank water. Yesterday some clumps fell to the bottom and this method no clumps.

I can't tell if this will work on what I have. I imagine since it is a 3 day treatment... it's not supposed to kill worms on contact but through prolonged exposure.

So it has been 24 hrs. I just dosed 2nd out of 3.

Do see some dead but also see more swimming still than I do dead.

Could be shrimp eating dead stationary worms since they can actually catch them or this stuff isn't really working.

Can't tell. No shrimp deaths or odd behavior from them.

Will report back on this treatment tomorrow after final dose.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #23
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm really curious as to what they are. Since they were 'stretching', they aren't nematodes. But that still leaves a lot of other types of worms.

Hope things work well, and if you find out anything more, please post.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 12:20 AM   #24
jeffturneraz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
I'm really curious as to what they are. Since they were 'stretching', they aren't nematodes. But that still leaves a lot of other types of worms.

Hope things work well, and if you find out anything more, please post.
Will do.

I'm about to dose 3rd and final dose. I still see them swimming so I feel like No Planaria has not worked.

Nevertheless I am going to finish off the treatment.

The design of the worm worries me.

Looks like when I get fish I'll just have to hope for the best and hope they eat the worms with no problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.