Anyone in pittsburgh?? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 04-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #31
spikenangel07

PTrader: (0/0%)

New to the hobby and a burgh town breed... Quick question for anyone that can help. I gota great price on a 180 gallon after set up and during cycle all my pants have gone kinda clear and are just withering slowly to nothing. Why? Will they grow back? I just added peat to the sump to bring down pH a little. I want want I see on here tons of beautiful plants with a good colony of fish. Will be going mostly with plecos (various) and rainbows (various) and I really want 2 sirenidae which is why I needa good Plantation. .. lol heeellppp
spikenangel07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #32
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)

Whats up spikenangel! Welcome to the forum, and the hobby

Sorry to hear your having plant troubles. Do you happen to know what kinds of plants you have? That would be the best place to start to see what they like and what they need vs what you have. Also, couple of big things up front. Are you going straight tap into the tank? Any treatment to the water? You'll defintely want a master test kit to see where your water is at parameter wise. Once you know where your water is, then you can figure out what you need to adjust and how.
Duck5003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #33
bcarrot
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Hello, to all my fellow Yinzers! I just wanted to put my to cents in about Elmer's, Seahorse, and Oddball Pets and Aquariums. I've been to all three and I have to say that Oddball is my favorite. The have a nice selection of fish, plants, and hardscape items. The employees knowledgeable and nice. It's not the "prettiest" store, but I can look past that since all of the fish and plants seem very healthy, and the staff is great. Elmer's would be next on my list of places I would buy fish/plants from. They have a wide variety of fish and plants. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They guy that was helping me the last time I went was nice, but not very knowledgeable about which plants required low light versus moderate/high light. So you sort of need to know what you are looking for when you go there. Seahorse is not a place I will be buying any more fish or plants from. I bought 4 green tiger barbs and a clown loach there. The clown loach is still alive, but I lost all 4 barbs about two weeks after purchasing them. They developed a bacterial infection that I just couldn't clear up. I should have been weary since all their tanks were very overstocked and there were some dead fish in a few of the tanks. Lesson learned.
bcarrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #34
sujesharukil

Oddballs is my favorite. I have been going to Oddball for 7 years and seen three owners since. All owners have been very knowledgeable and happy to help. Their fish is probably the healthiest.
Elmer's has been my second choice. Like the place, the selection and the people.
Will have to go to Wet Pets. It has been probably 5 years since I have been there.
So anyone keep an iwagumi setup here?
sujesharukil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 02:41 AM   #35
Imzadi
Algae Grower

Hi all,

Just moved here a few months ago from the Cincinnati, Ohio area. Just setting up a 29 again after a long time without any fish. I used to have a 75 gal tank with koi in it before that, and have had all sorts of fish in the past. Just checked out Wet Pets and Elmers over the last week and Wet Pets is definitely the best place to get fish. Their tanks are immaculate. Haven't been to Oddball yet, sounds interesting.
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 06:16 AM   #36
pghkid
Algae Grower

Went to Elmers last Sunday. Got myself started on my first run for a planted tank and need to get back to Wet Pets
pghkid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #37
NeMox69x
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

hello im not exactly from Pittsburgh or Pennsylvania but I frequent oddball more than anyone haha. I live in wheeling wv but oddball and ehlmers are my favorite "local" pet stores for aquatics. I have a CRS SSS tank and had a high tech planted tank and also have breed and currently keep discus. I bred my first successful pair and raised babies at 16 years old. im currently18 and wish I could attend the meetings!!
NeMox69x is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #38
Yukiharu
Planted Member

Hey everyone,
I'm going to college in Pittsburgh right now. Got myself some shrimp tanks
Yukiharu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #39
TheArcticManatee

Hi everyone,
I go to school in Pittsburgh, and I'm setting up a 2.5g tank next month. I used to have freshwater tanks and a reef in high school but nothing too fancy. I am going to try the Walstad method for this setup. I will post some picture when I get it up and running.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to buy plants? Or, even better, if anyone is heading to any LFS and could give me a ride, I would really appreciate that! I don't have a car, so my only options seems to be petco/petsmart.
Some of the plants I am planning are:

Pygmy Chain Sword, Echinodorus tenellus
Dwarf Lily, Nymphaea stellata
Echinodorus Parviflorus "Tropica" (small sword)
Brazillian Pennywort
Moneywort
Floating plants

edit: I'm also looking for some black sand, preferably Tahitian moon sand. But I don't need or want a big 40lb bag of it, so if anyone knows of a place where I could buy a small bag, that would be awesome.
TheArcticManatee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #40
NeMox69x
Algae Grower

Does anyone in pittsburgh breed shrimp from here?
NeMox69x is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #41
Mathias1324
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I live 25 miles NW of Pittsburgh in New Brighton. Decided to take a trip to Oddball's today and check it out. Was pleasantly surprised. The only good aquarium place around me is Aquatic Gardens in Beaver Falls and the last time I was in there they didn't have many plants to pick from. Pretty good selection of plants at Oddball's, fish looked healthy aside from a dying blue tang in one of the tanks. And good god, so, much, driftwood! I wish I had a new tank to set up lol. Lots of different types of rocks too. Was going to try Elmer's while I was out there, but I didn't feel like making the journey. Another day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArcticManatee View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for where to buy plants? Or, even better, if anyone is heading to any LFS and could give me a ride, I would really appreciate that! I don't have a car, so my only options seems to be petco/petsmart.
Some of the plants I am planning are:

Pygmy Chain Sword, Echinodorus tenellus
Dwarf Lily, Nymphaea stellata
Echinodorus Parviflorus "Tropica" (small sword)
Brazillian Pennywort
Moneywort
Floating plants
I bought some Frogbit at Oddball's today which had some Salvinia natans mixed in. I saw a nice string of Pennywort there too. They didn't have any dwarf lily, but I did grab a really nice red tiger lotus. They had a few more of those in another tank. They had some different swords but I don't know if they had the specific one you're looking for.
Mathias1324 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
papas, pittsburgh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.