20 gallon long dirt tank - Page 10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-02-2013, 05:06 AM   #136
tryank
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
I'm excited to see what you have in mind for the next scape.
Me too. A few thoughts on the new scape...

1) I know I like open spaces.

...as opposed to how it eventually ended up looking...

2) I've never had anything but rocks in my scape. I wanna try putting driftwood in with moss.
tryank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #137
laurenjane
Algae Grower

Looks awesome... I almost spat my tea at the computer screen with your first photo of buying your tank, thanks for that!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #138
Jeynesey
Algae Grower

Thought I'd say hi and say I've found this thread very interesting indeed. Having spent an absolute fortune since starting fishkeeping last year, it's great to see the success you've had on a budget.

So I don't get over excited and try doing this with my tank, could you please fill me in on your water ph/kh/gh to see if I'm similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryank View Post
You might notice some driftwood I found DOWN BY THE RIVER (not in a van though). I boiled it and was gonna soak it like the Internet said to, but since it was literally driftwood that I pulled off the bank of the Snake River, it was already waterlogged enough that it sunk! Some of the sticks I got though must have dried out a bit on the shore since they wouldn't sink.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will correct me if this is wrong but boiling helps kill off any parasites / nasties that are in the wood, as much as helping it sink. I would definitely still boil stuff, whether it sinks or not.
Jeynesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:47 AM   #139
tryank
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeynesey View Post
Thought I'd say hi and say I've found this thread very interesting indeed. Having spent an absolute fortune since starting fishkeeping last year, it's great to see the success you've had on a budget.

So I don't get over excited and try doing this with my tank, could you please fill me in on your water ph/kh/gh to see if I'm similar.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will correct me if this is wrong but boiling helps kill off any parasites / nasties that are in the wood, as much as helping it sink. I would definitely still boil stuff, whether it sinks or not.
Yeah, I boiled it for the nasties, and the internet suggested soaking it in a bucket for weeks to waterlog it until it sinks. I haven't checked my levels in FOREVER, and I didn't have a baseline to start off with so it would be hard to see how the wood affected the water parameters.
tryank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:22 AM   #140
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryank View Post

wtf is that thing at the very bottom of the photo? looks like a tan/orange monster sized spider leg(s)??
btw first photo on first page: awesome-ness, just about every true hobbyist feeling coming home with a new tank and a new project in mind ^^

I was going to de-rim my 20long but i had a nightmare the night i bought it about it collapsing and the glass getting permanently wedged together (at an unusable angle) as a de-rimmed tank.. soo just gutted the silicone and redid it (was globed in their real cheap like, now loks clean and minimal atleast).
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #141
AquaticLeisure
Algae Grower

What do you think caused the algae infestation? Lack of CO2?

If so, I'm curious why the algae infestation didn't happen earlier before you started the DIY CO2.

AquaticLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 gallon long, 20g long, attaching, dwarf baby tears, planting hc