Cerges' Reactor - DIY Inline CO2 Reactor - Page 51
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #751
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Havin a. Bit of trouble with my reactor, for some reason the water doesnt stay full like how it did in the begining when i first set it up? I was scared it was gonna some how over flow or burst anyway nothin like that happend. When the reacter water goes low i turn it upside down an the water fills back up an after a few hrs or so the water gets low again las night to today the water got the lowest ive seen maybe about 2" left in tha reacter all else seemed fine. Anyone have an idea what this could be?
First hooked up!
Running Day 1.
How i found it this morning.
A couple seconds after i tipped it upside down.
newbieplanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #752
Solcielo lawrencia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

The gas is building up which indicates either too much injection or not enough dissolution. What you can do is increase backpressure by restriction outflow. When you place the reactor so high, there is very little backpressure. Lowering it will increase head height which will increase backpressure.
Solcielo lawrencia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #753
zalinth
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
The gas is building up which indicates either too much injection or not enough dissolution. What you can do is increase backpressure by restriction outflow. When you place the reactor so high, there is very little backpressure. Lowering it will increase head height which will increase backpressure.
Hey thanks for this suggestion. I just got done building mine and was testing it in the bath tub to make sure it didn't leak and noticed after about 20 mins it sounded like it was getting louder(Can't find a clear one in town). So I would re-bleed it and it would be good for another 20mins.

After reading your suggestion I took the output hose and duck taped it to the shower wall and walked away. After about an hour I checked on it again and no gas build up.
zalinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #754
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

if that is gas build up from the co2... turn down the co2. I don't think I've ever seen that much co2 build up before, wow
Old 07-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #755
Solcielo lawrencia
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalinth View Post
Hey thanks for this suggestion. I just got done building mine and was testing it in the bath tub to make sure it didn't leak and noticed after about 20 mins it sounded like it was getting louder(Can't find a clear one in town). So I would re-bleed it and it would be good for another 20mins.

After reading your suggestion I took the output hose and duck taped it to the shower wall and walked away. After about an hour I checked on it again and no gas build up.
I'm glad that worked for you. A little bit of back pressure increases dissolution rates significantly.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #756
FishStix
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishStix View Post
I purchased a 20" x 4.5" clear filer housing with 3/4 ports, arrived last week, this this is massive. It going on a 180 gallon tank with 75 gallon sump. Do you think it overkill and I should return it and go with 10" one? Just wondering before I set it up.

Thanks
Anyone have any thoughts on this canister I bought for my reactor? Do you guys think it too large and I should get one that smaller?

Thanks
FishStix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #757
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts on this canister I bought for my reactor? Do you guys think it too large and I should get one that smaller?

Thanks
I have a similar sized blue colored one for my 125g w/ 40g sump. I'm still dialing the thing in... I think two may be better than one. I'm not sure if my flow rate is too high, but I still get a lot of bubbles.

I have the co2 line ending in front of the return pump, with an air stone attached. my canister is filled with some sort of pond sponge, it's not very dense, and capped with some quilt batting. still a ton of bubbles... i've put a ball valve on the outlet of the canister to cut down on flow and increase pressure... still a ton of bubbles. I'm debating on purchasing a second to increase the amount of time the co2 spends suspended in the water.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #758
Solcielo lawrencia
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

Thanks
Some people use the 20" one with good results. It's hard to go wrong with bigger. If your concern is about overkill, it may be. Or not. Like scapegoat mentioned, various factors affect dissolution and bubbles may pop out.

One thing to note about gas bubbles in water is that at a certain point, the water immediately surrounding the bubble becomes super-saturated and can't absorb any more CO2. When this happens, the gas can no longer dissolve. This may be the issue scapegoat is referring to, though it will be difficult without knowing the exact setup.

Scapegoat, what you describe sounds like the pump is chopping up the bubbles before it enters the filter housing, is that correct?
Old 07-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #759
FishStix
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
I have a similar sized blue colored one for my 125g w/ 40g sump. I'm still dialing the thing in... I think two may be better than one. I'm not sure if my flow rate is too high, but I still get a lot of bubbles.

I have the co2 line ending in front of the return pump, with an air stone attached. my canister is filled with some sort of pond sponge, it's not very dense, and capped with some quilt batting. still a ton of bubbles... i've put a ball valve on the outlet of the canister to cut down on flow and increase pressure... still a ton of bubbles. I'm debating on purchasing a second to increase the amount of time the co2 spends suspended in the water.
Do you have the reactor on it own pump? I order a Mag7 pump with Fractioning Impeller just for CO2 reactor, as some others suggested so I am very interested to see how this works. I hope to start setting up my tank in a few weeks.

Thanks for info.
FishStix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #760
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Do you have the reactor on it own pump? I order a Mag7 pump with Fractioning Impeller just for CO2 reactor, as some others suggested so I am very interested to see how this works. I hope to start setting up my tank in a few weeks.

Thanks for info.
I don't. I have it inline with the whole system. It would probably do better on it's own, slower, pump. The problem I'm seeing is how to plumb it up well. The benefit of it being inline with the sump is that it gets cleaned water. I have a canister I'm not using though... so I could play around with that for the time being.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #761
evilsway
Algae Grower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMSWx7xAe78

Hey guys, got mine built. Big thanks to Everyone.
evilsway is offline   Reply With Quote