1st Planted Aquarium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-06-2014, 05:52 AM   #1
Mikerd
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

1st Planted Aquarium

Hello All,
Another new member here with a first time planted aquarium!
After browsing the gallery of all the other planted aquariums I am ashamed of mine and am hoping I may be able to get some advice.
I have 3 aquariums,
10G with 2 Aquatic Dwarf Frogs. Felt bad for the little fellas not getting food in original aquarium I had. Bought them their own stomping grounds.
My original was a 15G tall aquarium starter kit I got from a local petshop here. It was a bad decision, I had a few plants in there that all seemed to do fine with just using liquid fertilizer. Had a couple Swordtail Platy's, 3 Amano Shrimp, 3 Neon Serpa Tetras.
My third aquarium is a 33G long aquarium I originally bought to house 2 razorback musk turtles but the girlfriend didn't want the turtles so I was stuck with this new aquarium. I was originally going to make a marine aquarium with coral but in case I have to move it would be more of a hassle to move a salt water from what the guy told me at the pet store.
So I decided to make a planted aquarium!
I started off with a couple plants (cant find the sheet with what I got). Some driftwood.

This was the original setup that I had in the middle of May.

Tonight i took the plants out of my 15g because I was not happy with it and will redo it tomorrow. I put the remaining fish from that tank into the 33g as well until I have it setup again.

This is what it looks like now.

I cant remember all the plants I have but everything else I can remember are:
Fish: 9 Neon Tetras.
5 Redfin Tetras?
1 Swordtail Platy
4 Neon Serpae tetra
3 Amano Shrimp
? x Assassin Snails (saw some MTS and wanted to prevent a breakout)
Filter: Fluval C3
Fluval 206 - New purchase to replace C3. Using both to cycle the filter
Lightening:
T5HO 39W Bulbs
1x6700 Kelvin
1x18000 Kelvin
Substrate: Can't remember will try and find the bag
Heater: rated for upto 55G?
Mikerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 05:54 AM   #2
Mikerd
Algae Grower

Sorry for the long winded post before.
I guess what I am wondering is where to start for CO2. I have read about the DIY 2L pop bottle contraptions and am thinking that should be my next step.
Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start with it. How do I know if I am getting enough CO2, I don't want to over do it.
As well if there are any other suggestions on the tank I would love to hear it.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:43 AM   #3
Mikerd
Algae Grower

Today I ended up removing the tree in the aqaurium due to some white slimy stuff growing on it. I did have MTS in the tank and not too sure if it was snail eggs or sometype of algae.
Removed it and boiled it for about 45 minutes and placed it in a new aquarium setup I started tonight.
Also bought myself some regulators for a CO2 system, some baby dwarf tears and dwarf grass to hopefully blanket the bottom. Running 1 bubble/sec.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:22 AM   #4
xylophone
Algae Grower

The white slime is harmless and normal with new driftwood and would have gone away by itself.
xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
Mikerd
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply!
I thought that initially but it kept growing in size and didn't want to risk it. I never initially boiled it before putting it in and wasn't too sure if it was healthy. I ended up getting a piece of driftwood I liked more. I will post a picture of it tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:31 AM   #6
JeremyM
Algae Grower

One thing I've learned about planted tanks: they'll look like shot for a week once you first set them up until they grow in, but its improvement over time is directly proportional to how many plants you put in at the beginning. Always plant very heavy at first, even if it's with crummy plants you have no intention of keeping (the faster growing, the better.) It will only look good and establish itself as an ecosystem system faster.

That slime coating is common. Snails and algae grazers/wood eaters should help with that (think otos or plecos). It's possible that it will come back stronger than ever now that you've given it a good long boiling, since you've broken down the organic matter further which will provide a more readily available food source to the mold that was feeding on it. Just let it run its course, and if it's really bothering you, just wipe it off with a paper towel. Good luck with the tank
JeremyM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #7
Mikerd
Algae Grower

I have the tree in a 15g tall tank I redid today. I will post pictures of it tomorrow as well.
The tank it came out of has been planted for about a month or so and the slime was still growing. When I took it out of the water it had really think solid white formations in the crevasses I wasn't able to see until taking it out.
The new piece is alot better in my opinion, it will look great with annubis tied on in a few places. Hopefully it will help cover up my heater and my CO2 lines.

Do you guys have any other advice for this tank? It is my first dedicated planted aquarium and want it to look great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.