12G Club: Got a 12 GalloN RimlesS or wanna get 1? PoSt/SeE HeRe! - Page 101
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-07-2014, 02:06 AM   #1501
julianmuerto
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Has anyone tried using the Spin lily pipes with this aquarium? I impulsively bought a set and I'm trying to figure out how it effective it is. I have the outflow centered, but I'm wondering if that's the best place for it.
julianmuerto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 03:37 AM   #1502
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianmuerto View Post
Has anyone tried using the Spin lily pipes with this aquarium? I impulsively bought a set and I'm trying to figure out how it effective it is. I have the outflow centered, but I'm wondering if that's the best place for it.
I don't have one of these but I am not sure the spin is the best choice here. One reason it may be good is the lack of height but it basically directs thing forward, to my knowledge. That could be problematic in a tank so long, two on each side may be nice. Sorry, not a great answer as I really don't know, I would want the most flow side to side, it's hard enough on a 20 long.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #1503
MsNemoShrimp
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (428/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I don't have one of these but I am not sure the spin is the best choice here. One reason it may be good is the lack of height but it basically directs thing forward, to my knowledge. That could be problematic in a tank so long, two on each side may be nice. Sorry, not a great answer as I really don't know, I would want the most flow side to side, it's hard enough on a 20 long.
Thanks for sharing this. The spin looks nice but I guess not useful
Old 07-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #1504
Rookiiwoo
Algae Grower

Default Mr.Aqua 12 Gallon Set-Up Questions. First 'real' aquarium.

Hello There!
I have just ordered a Low-Iron 12 Gal, upgrading from my Fluval Edge 6 gal. I always wanted a tank this long but not too big and it exists, WOO!

Now, I would say this will be my first, 'real' aquarium. As the setup I will have to decide instead of everything coming with the Fluval Edge.

The Fluval Edge was planted and had cherry red shrimp but did not fair well, neither did the shrimp with the inadequate lighting and whatnot. So, this time I want to make sure things are right, so I have questions. I've looked at every listed 12G post but there are a lot of 'Why this?' questions.

"You know nothing Jon Snow..."

I plan on this tank being a 'to scale' aquascape, with a tree made of some sort of wood and 'HC' as its leaves, as well as using 'HC' as a bottom covering plant. As for other plants, haven't gotten that far yet.

Tree Example:

I would also like to use 'Seiryu Stones' for the mountain outcrops. I do not have a layout made out yet.

Onto the technical stuff...

Filtration:
Over and over I see people using the 'Eheim Classic External Canister Filter 2213'. Why does everyone choose this filter? And what are some alternatives? I have never used an external canister filter before, however I see the pipes that go into the tank are green. I would like to replace these with clear glass. Alternatively, on this subject, I've often seen people using 'Lily pipes'. What are the benefits to these/why are they used? I do NOT want to drill any holes into this tank.

Spraybars for flow or....?

Substrate:
A long while ago I bought Amazonia substrate from the states and it was hell in customs getting it into Canada. I'm looking for a similar (as dark as possible) substrate that I can get in Canada or to Canada relatively cheap. Suggestions?

Lighting:
I really REALLY like the look of the 'Current Satellite Freshwater LED+' bar. Will this be adequate enough to grow 'HC'? The tank is also located right in front of a window.

Other:

• If I have a wood branch sticking out of the water, will the shrimp climb it and uh...you know, forget to come down or something and die?
  • Can I put a beta fish with red cherries?
  • I want to get some Indonesian Fire Reds (cherries). Does anyone sell/ship to Canada on here? What is the general price range for them? $__$
  • Where can I find some nice aquascape wood online that resemble tree trunks?

Thank you for anyone who takes the time to answer any of my tedious questions. While I do look on forums and use good ol'Google, I find it hard to get answers that directly relate to my questions sometimes. And I'd like to get advice from all the experts here on their first hand accounts :3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_n6rceswbCc1rfc73zo1_1280.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	345033  

Click image for larger version

Name:	34.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	345041  

Rookiiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 03:48 AM   #1505
swoof
Planted Tank Obsessed

just a few answers, Betta with cherries is a question of if you want to feed the betta or keep the shirmp (the betta will chow as many shrimp in short time as possible). HC trees are possible but can be difficult. Lily pipes are glass pipes/acrylic pipes used to replace the green pieces. There are several breeders of shrimp in Canada (maybe post a looking for thread on the Canadian section). Look for Manzanita wood online, one of the many types used for wood in tanks.
swoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #1506
Rookiiwoo
Algae Grower

I'd really like to use Manzanita wood but I'm actually having trouble finding a piece I like to Canada that isn't outrageously expensive.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #1507
ChemGuyEthan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Cool

I wanna join the club!

Here's the tank I set up this weekend!

Please check out my build thread in my signature. Can it be added to the list on the first page?
Wabi Kusa Attempts
You can never have too many tanks...just too little time.
ChemGuyEthan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 07:08 PM   #1508
ChemGuyEthan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiiwoo View Post
Hello There!
I have just ordered a Low-Iron 12 Gal, upgrading from my Fluval Edge 6 gal. I always wanted a tank this long but not too big and it exists, WOO!

Now, I would say this will be my first, 'real' aquarium. As the setup I will have to decide instead of everything coming with the Fluval Edge.

The Fluval Edge was planted and had cherry red shrimp but did not fair well, neither did the shrimp with the inadequate lighting and whatnot. So, this time I want to make sure things are right, so I have questions. I've looked at every listed 12G post but there are a lot of 'Why this?' questions.

"You know nothing Jon Snow..."

I plan on this tank being a 'to scale' aquascape, with a tree made of some sort of wood and 'HC' as its leaves, as well as using 'HC' as a bottom covering plant. As for other plants, haven't gotten that far yet.

Tree Example:

I would also like to use 'Seiryu Stones' for the mountain outcrops. I do not have a layout made out yet.

Onto the technical stuff...

Filtration:
Over and over I see people using the 'Eheim Classic External Canister Filter 2213'. Why does everyone choose this filter? And what are some alternatives? I have never used an external canister filter before, however I see the pipes that go into the tank are green. I would like to replace these with clear glass. Alternatively, on this subject, I've often seen people using 'Lily pipes'. What are the benefits to these/why are they used? I do NOT want to drill any holes into this tank.

Spraybars for flow or....?

Substrate:
A long while ago I bought Amazonia substrate from the states and it was hell in customs getting it into Canada. I'm looking for a similar (as dark as possible) substrate that I can get in Canada or to Canada relatively cheap. Suggestions?

Lighting:
I really REALLY like the look of the 'Current Satellite Freshwater LED+' bar. Will this be adequate enough to grow 'HC'? The tank is also located right in front of a window.

Other:

• If I have a wood branch sticking out of the water, will the shrimp climb it and uh...you know, forget to come down or something and die?
  • Can I put a beta fish with red cherries?
  • I want to get some Indonesian Fire Reds (cherries). Does anyone sell/ship to Canada on here? What is the general price range for them? $__$
  • Where can I find some nice aquascape wood online that resemble tree trunks?

Thank you for anyone who takes the time to answer any of my tedious questions. While I do look on forums and use good ol'Google, I find it hard to get answers that directly relate to my questions sometimes. And I'd like to get advice from all the experts here on their first hand accounts :3
Good luck with the "to scale" setup. I understand that it can be quite challenging. Plant choice is crucial, so do lots of research to understand how the plants will grow in so you're not having to hack them back every week to keep it looking nice. As far as the HC on the trees and ground, I think it might be good to see a different texture of plant on the tree compared to the ground. Probably some sort of moss. I'm looking to do a tree in my 25L setup soon and have ordered some xmas moss, though I am not having a hard time finding some wood around here... maybe check the 'bay for wood?

The 2213 is just a solid filter. Simple design, easy to hook up, awful bright green colored connections, haha. Alternatives I've had success with are the api filstar series. A little more expensive, but I like them a lot too. Either would be a fine choice. Lily pipes are mostly for aesthetics. The clear glass doesn't distract from the layout like those green pipes do. Supposedly the outflow is good for aeration at night when you're running CO2 with shrimp. I ordered some pipes for my setup so hopefully they work out well.

Oh, and the Sat+ I feel was literally made for this tank. It will be more than enough for HC, as I understand, given the shallow tank. I'll let you know as I just started my tank with some to get a carpet.
Wabi Kusa Attempts
Old 07-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #1509
SevenportsJohn
Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to SevenportsJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemGuyEthan View Post
I wanna join the club!

Here's the tank I set up this weekend!

Please check out my build thread in my signature. Can it be added to the list on the first page?
That should turn out nicely.

SevenportsJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 04:19 AM   #1510
Rookiiwoo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Good luck with the "to scale" setup. I understand that it can be quite challenging. Plant choice is crucial, so do lots of research to understand how the plants will grow in so you're not having to hack them back every week to keep it looking nice. As far as the HC on the trees and ground, I think it might be good to see a different texture of plant on the tree compared to the ground. Probably some sort of moss. I'm looking to do a tree in my 25L setup soon and have ordered some xmas moss, though I am not having a hard time finding some wood around here... maybe check the 'bay for wood?

The 2213 is just a solid filter. Simple design, easy to hook up, awful bright green colored connections, haha. Alternatives I've had success with are the api filstar series. A little more expensive, but I like them a lot too. Either would be a fine choice. Lily pipes are mostly for aesthetics. The clear glass doesn't distract from the layout like those green pipes do. Supposedly the outflow is good for aeration at night when you're running CO2 with shrimp. I ordered some pipes for my setup so hopefully they work out well.

Oh, and the Sat+ I feel was literally made for this tank. It will be more than enough for HC, as I understand, given the shallow tank. I'll let you know as I just started my tank with some to get a carpet.
Thanks! That's some useful info (: I was totally not digging those green pipes XD

If I do get lily pipes, what size should I be getting for the 12g?
Old 07-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #1511
ChemGuyEthan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenportsJohn View Post
That should turn out nicely.
Thank you, sir! I await in eager anticipation for the carpet to be installed...nature takes a lot longer than the flooring company...

Quote:
Thanks! That's some useful info (: I was totally not digging those green pipes XD

If I do get lily pipes, what size should I be getting for the 12g?
Umm...depends on your filter I suppose. You want to make sure you match the lily pipe diameter with the filter hose diameter. The eheim classics are 12/16 mm (inner/outer diameter) while the api filstars are 16/22mm. Otherwise the style is up to you, though as was discussed somewhere back in this thread, the "spin" style would not be suited as I think it has too little flow. The normal lily shape should be fine though.
Wabi Kusa Attempts
Old 07-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #1512
mpooyan83
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have had a Betta with a buncha cherries for quite a while, and no he does not eat any of them. Bettas are all pretty unique. Some will attack and eat shrimp, others will not. only way to find out is to try it (i tried with ghost shrimp, since they are 30cents each).
mpooyan83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #1513
Rookiiwoo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thank you, sir! I await in eager anticipation for the carpet to be installed...nature takes a lot longer than the flooring company...

Umm...depends on your filter I suppose. You want to make sure you match the lily pipe diameter with the filter hose diameter. The eheim classics are 12/16 mm (inner/outer diameter) while the api filstars are 16/22mm. Otherwise the style is up to you, though as was discussed somewhere back in this thread, the "spin" style would not be suited as I think it has too little flow. The normal lily shape should be fine though.

Oh man I'm scared I'm going to buy the wrong sized pipes XD
Old 07-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #1514
ChemGuyEthan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Oh man I'm scared I'm going to buy the wrong sized pipes XD
Well they only come in three different diameters.

10mm: for tiny filters like the ZooMed 501 (I think)
13mm: for medium filters like the eheim 2211, 2213, 2215 (tube size 12mm/16mm)
17mm: for larger filters like the api filstar xp series (tube size 16mm/22mm)

Don't be too scared, you've got a 1/3 chance of randomly picking the right one without trying, haha. So a little research into filter tube size and you'll be fine.
Wabi Kusa Attempts
Old 07-20-2014, 05:42 AM   #1515
kilfrg7864
Planted Member

Hi all! was thinking about getting one of these awesome tanks but i really want to house 2 GBRs, was wondering since its an extremely long tank would it be okay to do so since the larger tank size recommendation is usually due to territory issues?
kilfrg7864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
12 gallon long, 12 gallon rimless, mr aqua, nano tanks, stand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.