Starting a long journey..Riparium 20g long[BIG RESCAPE PHOTOS 6/23] - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #61
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
I've still got to do some reading to catch up on everything that has happened since I left SC. Your tank is looking great now! I really like the new aquascape. The new wood is awesome, I think it looks much better since your most recent adjustments after the cleaning. In the previous layout the branch that was top center just seemed a little distracting, probably due to the amount of light reflecting off of it. Any plans to add some sort of moss to the branches?

I definitely know what you mean when you say you're having more fun with the riparium plants than the submerged aquatics. I tried for a long time to use stems and other fast growing plants in my system & eventually made the switch to crypts and slow growers. When I was planning the new scape after the move I made the decision to stick with the low light plants. Lots of Crypts, different Java Ferns & Anubias though there are a few different stem plants, mostly the ones that are slow grower under these light conditions. I think the scape I went with will grow to be a nice layout in time. I'd really like to switch everything to a 40B, especially after picking up a few last night that I'm going to use for emersed plants. Not gonna happen anytime soon though. I hope your new plants adjust well! i'm actually heading to Lowes in a bit to see what I can find to add to my 20L.
Thanks, I've thought of trying fissidens.. but I'd wait until the wood stops being all fungus-y before I'd consider buying any of that or other mosses. I do have a 2g cookie jar with smaller maznatia branches covered in moss that's doing well, but I bought enough moss for initial set up to cover all the wood, it was rather pricy, if I did it in the 20g it would be a tiny patch that would have to very sloooowly grow out to be trimmed and reattached to eventually cover the wood..
I think I want to focus more on the above water so any plants below will have to be low light. I'd do anubias again but after the disaster with the disease I don't want to have any for a while...
I actually just raised the lights a few more inches since the newest plants are pretty tall. Its been 2 days and no noticble wilting or shock for the palm and syngonium, dwarf taro was already growing in old tank water so I didn't expect it to have any transition issues. I am thinking of actually switching the planters with the syngonium and the one with the dwarf umbrella as its now hidden under the palm... hard part is getting fingernails in there to pop off the suction cups, there' no room to get around the sides of the baskets/planters.
I'm half tempted to buy enough trellis rafts to almost completely cover the top and act as a deterrent for jumping prone fish.. but then I wouldn't get any good surface agitation for aeration...and have the 'fun' of takign apart of putting back the rafts with each water change..
I'll also have to figure out what to do with w/c stability.. since tap is 7.5 and (yesterday) tank was 7.0.. before the re-scape tank was as low as 6.6-6.8.. Going to make it difficult to keep a steady ph if I have fish in there... also don't know how happy the crypts will be about the flux... I'm tempted to put the crypt and java in my husbands tank and just have the lily plant, then get same large smooth land scaping rocks (if I can find any inert ones) for more line of sight break up...
I'll have to figure out how to cycle a tank (fish-less) with lights on and avoiding an algae nightmare.. last 2 tanks I cycled literally in the dark (cardboard boxes covered them no algae could grow).
I'd love to get 1 gold ram and either cherry barb or glowlight (the natural occurring type not the gentiacally made) tetra.. or an electric blue ram and (as much as I'd swear never to keep them) neon tetra..unless I can find anotehr small blue schooling fish, plus some otos.. Don't know how long these fish would last without a lid though... Don't feel like buying expensive snacks for the cats who I think ate the previous otos to jump tank since their bodies were never recovered.
I'm soooooo tempted to get a 55g, fill it about 12-13" and set up a longer riparium within it. But I need to just wait for the pleco to move out of my current 55 so i can re-purpose it. It sucks because I keep seeing plants I want to try out, but there's just no room left for new additions... Be sure to update your thread if you do add some more stuff.. I've been wanting to try some grasses.. but again no room...
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #62
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

Default Minor tweaking

Can't stop messing with it! no new additions.. well except I stuck the dead looking lizard's tail in there.. hurry up and grow damn it! *ahem* but just rearranged some things, put taller plants to one side and all the rafts at the far end of the tank away from the filter to encourage more flow. Also moved the crypts and lily since the right side became more shaded.. also butchered off most of the lily leaves from the large bulb, going to try to grow it compact and low instead of to the surface now. The driftwoon on the right does not like to stay in place (currently only has 1 branch touching the bottom) so I wedged a suction cup behind it to keep it in place... Looking at it now I want to mess with that right piece again... Bah gotta stop being so anal about it..

Old 07-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #63
Italionstallion888
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Digging the wood a lot, nicely done

I had terrible luck with fissdens in a non co2 tank. Became algae havens very very quickly.
Italionstallion888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #64
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italionstallion888 View Post
Digging the wood a lot, nicely done

I had terrible luck with fissdens in a non co2 tank. Became algae havens very very quickly.
Thank you! And algae would be my big concern too, at least java fern you can wash it off... With mosses it's damn near impossible to seperate algae for it without loosing most of the moss in the process.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #65
Italionstallion888
Wannabe Guru

yup, I covered manzanita in fissdens in my 10g, a week later the tank was covered in algae, EVERYWHERE, most of fissdens ended up as detrius or taken out of the tank.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:30 AM   #66
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

Default Black background added

Awesome hubby made a black background that sits outside the tank, not adhered to it so its easily removed to find hiding fish ^^
Its scrap of the table cloth used for this table glued onto.. I'm brain farting the material.. its essentially like water proof drywall used for building construction that's exposed to the elements, so it won't rt or mold like a wood frame wood.
Really like how it looks!

[added]
Just a mini add on: Seems the mazantia has stopped leeching massive amounts of taniss, ph has not tested below the '7.6' using api test kit (the 'high ph" kit tests 7.4 so I split the difference) since I did a water change a while ago. Guess i wont have to worry abut ph fluxes and stressing fish ^^.
The filter is also still cycled, and I've been dosing ammonia daily to feed BB and plants. I'm going to start slowly reducing the ferts I add to the tank.. I won't know by how much the end goal is until I get it fully stocked with fish and see what nitrate levels sit at. I'm still open to ideas for shoaling/schooling fish that won't jump out an open top.

Last edited by AquaAurora; 07-07-2014 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: added update at bottom
Old 07-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #67
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

Default Riparium plant updates + some babbling

So the Syngonium and dwarf palm are doing well. Only thing I've noticed is the newst growth it has when i added it died off, but I see new leaves unfolding so I think it was just a mini tranplant shock, the main/larger/old leavers have shown no sigh of distress though. I couldn't fit all of the palm plants into the setup so some are in a pot behind the tank, getting the same light and some of the tanks water once in a while.
The creeping jenny and new addition of riccia have transitioned well to emersed growth, I've stopped missing 2x a day and they've not dried out yet. I'm thinkning of adding some ludwigia to the riparium part from my 7g.. once it grows out of the water (failed to transition from submerged growth last attempt.. just melted).
The aluminum plants are growing very long roots underwater (longest ones are only 4" above substrate). If I intended to have fish breeding it'd be perfect for fry.. but I'm hoping my final stock list won't breed out of control and over populate the tank. Its also slowly growing new stems and leaves.
Spathiphyllum is growing taller and competing with the dwarf palm and syngonium in height but its not spit out a lot of new leaves yet. I actually think I was given two varieties of spathiphyllum, one has wider marbled leaves (domino), the other is more narrow and solid green, hopefully I'll figure out what subspecies it is as it grows.
The Cyperus Umbrella Sedge is doing ok though some tips are dried out, its not very tall or fast growing.
Pothos and Tradescantia zebrine aka 'wandering jew' are still in a race for fastest growing plant, pothos leaves seem more tolerant of being constntly wet (its tips touch water) than the wandering jew which will melt if leaves are wet.
Sadly the lizards tails I gotten (2) have died. I was told they don't ship well.. guess I'll stick to slightly more durable plants. They turned brown and the submerged part mushy, so they've been tossed.
I'm thinking of trying oplismenus basket grass one more time, see if I can keep it from drying out and shriveling up on me.

I am having some trouble with my little Dwarf taro though, its formed new leaves since I received it (its original leaf from shipping died off). The 2 oldest of these 3 new leaves are showing some deficiencies sadly.

From reading [this pdf file] on taros.. I'm not sure if its a nitrate deficiency (though I wouldn't call these 'old leaves' at less than 3 weeks old) but my nitrates are staying at 5-10ppm even when dosing about 2ppm pure ammonia a day (still no fauna). It could also be iron, magnesium, or calcium deficiency. Calcium lines up best for the browning/dead tips and yellowing but my water is very hard (160s) and leaves calcium deposits on everything. Sadly my area's water report is useless for getting actual readings on the amount of calcium and magnesium I have (they just list lead, chlorine, and nitrate)... but I really doubt its the issue. I'm considering buying a bottle of seachem iron to add to my dosing regiem and see if it helps.

In other news I grabed up some used small trellis rafts (3) and a big raft (1) from a user via roak. They also sent a wabi something ball but it didn't survive as a whole through shiping. Goign to see if the Bacopa from it will survive emerssed with the creeping jenny I already have. I most likely will be saving them until I upgrade the riparium to the 55g and have more room.

As for stocking ideas. I'm strongly considering 1 gold ram, 8-? cherry barbs, and 3-5 otos. Only getting 1 ram to avoid aggression, digging, and babies. I've been trying to find info to say if rams will or will not eat other fish' eggs and fry, as I don't want the cherry barbs breeding the tank into overstocked-capacity. Another thing I'm not finding consistant info on is caves for rams. Some sites say they need a cave(s), but owners posts say they typicaly do not use these, if anything they use 'lean-to's or just shaded opening in plant mass and driftwood groupings.
Once the quarantine is cycled I'll start with 6-10 otos (assuming I'll lose 1/2.. if I don't I'll return the extras). After they pass quarantine and go into the 20 I'll get the barbs, then after them the ram. I have a lfs I can pick them up at directly or special order. I'll probably do the latter just to get 'fresh' fish. I think I'll skip a cave and see how the ram does with my setup. If it looks like it needs one I may DIY one from black oven cook-able clay (forget name) rolled in some of the substrate to make it blend better.
I'd considered a different stocking list with hillstream loaches earlier this week (after spotting some at a local store) and spoke with a pt member about their care. I could modify the tank for them with some smooth river rocks and a power head for extra flow.. but I don't think the tank has/would generate enough algae to feed them (they forage constantly so even with supplemented diet they need their algae rocks) so I think I'll try the fist stocking idea for now. Maybe when the riparium moves to the 55 I'll try a hillstream setup.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #68
vanish
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

You seem to be inspiring me. I didn't realize it but you also did the aquaponics setup that got me interested!

I just picked up pilea involucrata, pilea cadierei and tradescantia zebrina today.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #69
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
You seem to be inspiring me. I didn't realize it but you also did the aquaponics setup that got me interested!

I just picked up pilea involucrata, pilea cadierei and tradescantia zebrina today.
I'm happy to hear my posts or photos are encouraging people to try different aspects of aquarium keeping possibilities ^^
I'd love to try pilea involucrata but I can't find any.
Will you post a journal or photos with the added plants? Are you putting them in an HOB or a planter/shower basket and floating rafts?
Old 07-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #70
vanish
Planted Member

They are in a diy "hob" filter. Its a 6 gallon planter box sitting on a shelf behind the tank containing lots and lots of media and such. The hob lid has 5 holes in it, in which I put flex pots. Each plant is in one of those flex pots with hydroton.

I may change the order of the plants as the two cuttings grow in. From left to right: pilea involcrata (friendship plant), epipremnum aureum (Pothos), pilea cadierei (Aluminum plant), tradescantia zebrina (wandering jew), last one is unknown clipping.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:56 AM   #71
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

Cool HOB! Is the green banded with uneven striping the tradescantia zebrina or the unknown plant? I've not seen wandering jew with such inconsistent striping.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #72
vanish
Planted Member

The unknown one is the "tall" one surrounded by the wandering jew. You can't actually see it that well in this photo. I'll try to post a photo of just that plant later. Putting together some more lighting today.

I think that wandering jew is actually Tradesantia Fluminensis 'Variegata' ... not zebrina. Good catch. I'm going to take some cuttings of it just in case it doesn't do well in the water basket.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #73
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

I think you're right on that plant id, its very pretty though! Wish I could get some around here (only find the purple 'common' variety of this plant). It reminds me of varigated Oplismenus basket grass.. which I've failed twice now to keep alive (got from a seller with a vey high humidity environment.. dries out in 1-2 days in my riparium x.x).

[added update]
One of the peace lilys are blooming! ... Apparently I planted it 'backwards'

+ a few creeping jenny shots, its transitioned well 85% of all the clippings I took converted to emersed growth with daily misting, now I mist once a day or ever other day (whenever I remember) more for the riccia than the jenny, but I just give everything a little mist, doesn't hurt ^^
Wilted thing in the background of the first photo is bacopa, don't think its going to survive the transition.
Driftwood

HOB

The giant hair grass I stuffed in a basket up top did not survive the transition, I'd cut back its leaves to encourage new growth but I think it was too far gone before I moved it so it just died. Tossed it today... May move the Taro and Fittonia in that basket around to let the taro get more light and room.

Last edited by AquaAurora; 07-14-2014 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: added photos
Old 07-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #74
vanish
Planted Member

I need to learn, why the misting of plants if they weren't submerged growth?

Hope you don't mind the slight hijack! Here is the unknown last plant in my box. It has roots growing already, so that's a good sign.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #75
Italionstallion888
Wannabe Guru

Can you help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've put a few cuttings and 1 stem that I pulled from the dirt with roots into my HOB, I'm using a AC30 with 2.5 sponges, I took a screw driver to make holes to put the stems in. Every single one I've placed in my hob has died. The leaves turn mushy and the stem parts eventually mush away just the same. What am I missing here? I'm using the marble queen pothos, the mother (planted in a dirt vase) is doing excellent in the low light area I have it, which is directly across the room from tank. Are they just having a hard time switching from dirt to flowing water?