Hyzer's Easy Mode 29g - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-02-2014, 03:27 AM   #76
erimar
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hyzer's Easy Mode 29g

Hello,

I really like your tank! I am planning almost the same set up in an 80 gallon tank. Can ypu please tell me what plants you have in the foreground. Per your thread you don't dose anything correct? I am impressed with your results.

Regards,

Erick
erimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 05:33 AM   #77
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimar View Post
Hello,

I really like your tank! I am planning almost the same set up in an 80 gallon tank. Can ypu please tell me what plants you have in the foreground. Per your thread you don't dose anything correct? I am impressed with your results.

Regards,

Erick
Thanks erimar. The foreground is primarily Crypt. parva.

I broke up a few Jobe's fern sticks and put them in the substrate maybe a year ago. Besides that, I just add small portions of various shrimp foods once or twice a week.

For something like this, sticking to the lower end of light intensity and putting a lid on the tank are most important. I don't get the most healthy or fast growth but it works for me.
Hyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #78
erimar
Algae Grower

Thank you for the Advice! Why it's important to keep the tank cover?
Old 03-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #79
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimar View Post
Thank you for the Advice! Why it's important to keep the tank cover?
Less evaporation -> fewer top offs -> more consistent water params, also diffuses light a bit

The cover is a major factor in keeping this tank easy for me. It is optional though. I prefer an open top for my 40g because I'm doing weekly water changes anyways.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #80
BulletToothBoris
Planted Member

What is the long background plant?
The Fraternity of Dirt #155
BulletToothBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:31 AM   #81
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothBoris View Post
What is the long background plant?
It's some fairly ragged Bolbitis. I've never been able to give up on this plant even though it doesn't grow well with the low nutrient levels and light in this tank. Grows like a weed in my 40g but never seem to fit well.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:51 AM   #82
erimar
Algae Grower

Hello, I hope you are doing great. Any new updates & pictures
Old 06-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #83
Chris Noto
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer View Post
I used the focus lock and had some better luck tonight, but still can't get clear pics. When I have my ISO up high, the pictures are less blurry but they still turn out very grainy. When it is low, the pics are not grainy but blurry. The only shutter speed adjustment I found is to slow it down for long exposure shots. Even if I point he camera at an angle, the flash will reflect off the back glass panel. At least they are great to look at in person.
Hyzer, I've just found my way over here from your 40 Breeder Log, which I've been following, and loving, for quite a while. You are right about the bind of aquarium photography being adequate light. What seems like good light to the eye is just not up to the job of making a good image.

There was a discussion at the Aquatic Photography Forum a while back on this issue, and one member posted this excellent summary of an inexpensive aquarium flash photo setup. The cost was $170 back in 2009.

All the best.
Chris Noto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #84
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Noto View Post
Hyzer, I've just found my way over here from your 40 Breeder Log, which I've been following, and loving, for quite a while. You are right about the bind of aquarium photography being adequate light. What seems like good light to the eye is just not up to the job of making a good image.

There was a discussion at the Aquatic Photography Forum a while back on this issue, and one member posted this excellent summary of an inexpensive aquarium flash photo setup. The cost was $170 back in 2009.

All the best.
Thanks for the advice Chris. I've figured out how to work my D40 a bit since I was struggling last year. I appreciate you taking interest in my tinkering.

A couple changes are coming to this tank next week:

The Cherries are just kind of surviving and not reproducing. I came to the conclusion that my sponge filters are just not cutting it. Something is building up, and I don't want to be doing frequent water changes on this tank. I think running it through a few different types of media will help. I purchased an Aquaclear 50 because they have been solid for me in the past and offer good filtration on a budget. I'll put a sponge on the inlet to keep it shrimp safe.

Plant growth has been slow and ugly, especially for the crypts. Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a Harris 9296 regulator for $50 on ehay, a 5 lb. aluminum CO2 cylinder, and a Burkert 6011 solenoid. I have an extra Swagelok metering valve from my other post body. I'll visit my local hydraulic shop on my lunch break this week to get all the fittings. I'm going to use my old Atomizer to mist. Since the single Fugeray won't put a high demand on CO2, I should keep CO2 levels shrimp safe (possibly beneficial?) and avoid the seltzer water look.

Even though none of these improvements were costly, the Fugeray, filter, and pressurized CO2 takes away from my initial budget "easy mode" intentions for this tank. It was nice to know I could do it, but if I'm able, why not provide optimal conditions for my plants and shrimp?
Old 07-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #85
wabisabi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer View Post
This one definitely does not look like yours or any other beautiful furctas I've seen pictures of. I just guessed it was that species because it has a slightly blue eye and the egg or fry came from your tank. Weird.
So can anyone ID this?
Try and post pics of this fish over on rainbow-fish.org, in the identification section. It really looks like a female rainbow to me, maybe Chilatherina sp? The resident experts should be able to guide you.
wabisabi is online now   Reply With Quote