sand? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 07-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #16
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

what sorts of plants are you thinking of?

I'm not familiar with musk turtles, but I'd be hesitant to put root tabs in a turtle tank, just out of concern the turtle might dig them up, and possibly eat them (and even if it doesn't eat them, having root tabs floating about probably isn't ideal).

I generally like anubias and java fern, for quite a few reasons, and I think they are good candidates for tanks with potentially destructive inhabitants, plus they don't need fertile substrates, they can pull everything they need from the water column.

If you want to go with something that does need roots, you might be able to 'fortify' it with a few large rocks, and then you could either do a small patch of dirt or root tabs in between the rocks where the turtle won't be able to disturb them.

Also, I think most turtles are fairly messy, so you might not need to worry about ferts at all, the turtle might take care of that for you.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, if you go with some of the hardier plants, you can get them to grow in really minimal substrate (either PFS, SafeTSorb, whatever), without additives. You just won't get the same amount of growth as some of the nicer tanks.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 01:53 AM   #17
180g
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

he doesn't dig at all so im not to worried about that. if I add root tabs, doesn't the sub have to have at least a little CEC for it to work? ells the plants cant use the nutrients? to add CEC I wanted to mix in just a little oil dry around the plants. would that work?
(I'm 13 )
180g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:26 AM   #18
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

i use sand in two of my set ups right now, have run it in 3 diff tanks with no problems. i do use root tabs, and i recently start liquid fert dosing, but that mostly out of wanting a new challenge.

sand is great. (check my hillstream tank if you want to see one of my sand tanks)

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #19
dzega
Planted Tank Obsessed

i dont understand the logic here. if you cant use dirt because your turtle likes to dig in substrate, then HOW can you use osmocote root tabs? your turtle will dig em up and you will end up with superconcentrated ferts leeching in water column. MTS is way safier way to go imo with root feeders just use cap layer way more thick than usual 2.5cm.
dzega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #20
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzega View Post
i dont understand the logic here. if you cant use dirt because your turtle likes to dig in substrate, then HOW can you use osmocote root tabs? your turtle will dig em up and you will end up with superconcentrated ferts leeching in water column. MTS is way safier way to go imo with root feeders just use cap layer way more thick than usual 2.5cm.

if they are digging it doesn't matter how much cap you have, they will be able to dig right through it.

if digging is going to be as much as an issue as everyone keeps making it out to be then you should probably go with a gravel plant substrate. but everyone seems to be forgetting the OP stated that this type of turtle is not known for digging.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:21 AM   #21
180g
Planted Tank Enthusiast

he doesn't dig. the reason I don't want dirt is because I will have open spots with no plants and I don't like the look of dirt. I'm not going to put dirt where the plants are then sand in the open area because it might start to mix and imo it doesn't look good either. I already have the sand too. I just wand to add some CEC so I want to find a clay based sub that is light in color so its hard to see and put some of that around the plants. for that I was going to use oil-dry from walmart unless there's another light colored sub with some CEC.

thanks
(I'm 13 )
180g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #22
dzega
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180g View Post
he doesn't dig. the reason I don't want dirt is because I will have open spots with no plants and I don't like the look of dirt.
thanks
in typical setup dirt is capped with sand/gravel and is not seen at all..
dzega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #23
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Til you rescape it, pull out plants, replant plants.