Will this work?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-26-2003, 01:58 PM   #1
ginnie5
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to ginnie5

I'm getting ready to set up my pressurized co2 Dh is bringing the regulator and needle valves home along with tubing. So the plan is to quickly do a diy bubble counter and run the co2 into the filter. Right now its a hob but will be replaced with a canister next week..or as soon as it comes in. Will it work running it into the filter or do I need a reactor?
ginnie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2003, 02:08 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Running CO2 into a HOB filter really isn't a bad reactor. It does a fairly good job. The primary area of concern is a HOB power filter's tendency to create a lot of surface agitation on the return "waterfall" which will cause you to lose CO2 to the atmosphere.

If you cut away the bottom lip that protrudes from the bottom edge of the waterfall, you can help eliminate a lot of that turbulence.

Not all canisters can be used as diffusor reactors. Magnums are best, but Eheims and Filstars may or may not work. Fluvals will airlock if you inject CO2 into them.

Here's a picture of what I mean about modifying the power filter...
Old 02-26-2003, 02:19 PM   #3
ginnie5
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to ginnie5

well I ordered a filstar. So if it doesn't work then I'll either leave the AC on for just that or look into building a reactor. Now what about a bubble counter? Do I need one? Sorry for so many dumb questions but without actually seeing one of these setups in action I'm having a hard time understanding how it works. And no lfs has one either.
ginnie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 02:43 PM   #4
Captain
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Have you tried removing the lip of an HOB? I have the output of my canister running into the hOB then into the tank. If I can reduced turbulance by just cutting the lip I'll do it. Just want to know if anyone has tried it.
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 06:34 PM   #5
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Try this link, it has a few good diagrams of how these things can be done.DIY info

My reactor is not quite the the one shown at that site. I copied the vortex reactor from plantguild Plantguild Power reactor It works fine, but I've had to experiment with what sort of thing to use to block the exit, not too dense, not too ugly, since it does show.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 07:01 PM   #6
Work In Progress
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Work In Progress Send a message via MSN to Work In Progress

Wow anonapersona!
What great links!
I think everything I was going to ask, was answered in those 2 links. Thanks!