Light levels for Satellite Led
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Current-USA and Ecoxotic


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru
 
orchidman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,421
Default

Light levels for Satellite Led


I've done some searching on google as well as this forum and haven't been able to find any answers (lots of info for the led+ but that's not what I'm looking for), hopefully you guys can help. I'm looking to have low light on one of my tanks. The tank is only 10" tall. What sort of light levels would I get from the Satellite freshwater led (NOT the "led plus" model) if it's only 10" away from the substrate? If anyone has PAR values, that would be even better! I was able to find PAR values for the led+, but again, that's not the fixture I'm looking at right now. This is the specific light I'm looking at
Amazon.com: Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Light for Aquarium, 24 to 36-Inch: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Light for Aquarium, 24 to 36-Inch: Pet Supplies
.


Also, if I'm just looking for low light, would springing for the led+ model have any benefit for me?

Thanks!
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-27-2014, 11:52 PM   #2
Aquascape Depot
Sponsor
 
Aquascape Depot's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post

Also, if I'm just looking for low light, would springing for the led+ model have any benefit for me?

Thanks!
Nope, LED+ would only benefit you if you wanted better PAR and functionality (ie: weather effects and customizable lighting). That being said, it is nice to have an LED+ to get that perfect lighting you want. but for double the price? that is up to you.

I'm sorry I haven't personally pulled a standard satellite LED out to test but I do know Kevin @CurrentUSA. I've asked a few times about the difference between the 2 fixtures. Hope this helps Orchidman
__________________

Chat with us @ our Sponsored Forum
Aquascape Depot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:42 AM   #3
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru
 
orchidman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquascape Depot View Post
Nope, LED+ would only benefit you if you wanted better PAR and functionality (ie: weather effects and customizable lighting). That being said, it is nice to have an LED+ to get that perfect lighting you want. but for double the price? that is up to you.

I'm sorry I haven't personally pulled a standard satellite LED out to test but I do know Kevin @CurrentUSA. I've asked a few times about the difference between the 2 fixtures. Hope this helps Orchidman
Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it! I think I've decided on going with the LED+ because I can dim it and that allows me to have more flexibility if I want to increase lighting in the future, and plus, the extra functionality is awesome!

That does leave me with other different questions though. The tank that this will be on is only 10" tall. I'm looking for low light, somewhere in the range of 15-30 micromols of PAR. I found these PAR readings for the LED+ fixtures (I assume at fule power) http://www.redcherryshrimp.net/wp-co...hrimp.net_.pdf and that is definitely more than I want. So I was thinking that I can just dim the lights (because they can do that, so it's awesome!) however, I don't have any idea what the PAR values would be at certain different levels of brightness. Do you have any ideas for that?

I know I can always hand the light, but I'd rather not do that.

Thanks!
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:01 AM   #4
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Vermino's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it! I think I've decided on going with the LED+ because I can dim it and that allows me to have more flexibility if I want to increase lighting in the future, and plus, the extra functionality is awesome!

That does leave me with other different questions though. The tank that this will be on is only 10" tall. I'm looking for low light, somewhere in the range of 15-30 micromols of PAR. I found these PAR readings for the LED+ fixtures (I assume at fule power) http://www.redcherryshrimp.net/wp-co...hrimp.net_.pdf and that is definitely more than I want. So I was thinking that I can just dim the lights (because they can do that, so it's awesome!) however, I don't have any idea what the PAR values would be at certain different levels of brightness. Do you have any ideas for that?

I know I can always hand the light, but I'd rather not do that.

Thanks!
That would be me that wrote that article =). You can actually check out GuitarFish's PAR on each light setting then go from there. So you could possibly set it to "D" setting from GuitarFish's diagram and keep it around that range. I personally have a few custom color settings for more "reds" in my mix but I do use the lighting effects as well.
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012