Quark's mini-s Iwagumi shenanigans - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #31
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quark View Post
another week, another day.
HC is filling in nicely but I've got some slow growth on the right side. I wanted 100% coverage before filling it, but I'm not sure what to do right now. Its growing thickly and maybe it needs a trim? has anyone done a trim on a DSM?

Looks really good. Didn't do a trim during DSM but I suppose it wouldn't hurt. Might even promote more horizontal growth. The slow growth on the right side may be a indicator of a light source deficiency (stone shadows) that could be an issue when you flood. Be patient, your almost there.
Eheim Pimp Club #540 Finnex Club Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 DBP Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
BeastMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 04:34 AM   #32
quark
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Regulator stuck on paintball tank

So I did some testing today, filled the CO2 bottle, slapped on the co2 regulator and it was working fine. No leaks or anything. Next steps here are to remove that needle valve and adapt a solenoid to.

Problem is, I couldn't get the regulator off the Paintball tank with my bare hands!! it was well stuck on there, and I had to use a rubber strap wrench to take it off. I mean, that thing was on solid! This wasn't an issue when the tank was empty and I did a test fit. Is this supposed to be like this? I mean, they do take off Paintball co2 tanks off guns while there is still pressure, but they cycle the trigger. I've never dealt with Paintball just regular tanks, and those have a shut off valve, so there's no pressure when removing it.

Also, while I had the unit off, I cut the adapter down on my Lathe to shrink it a bit, gained maybe 1/4 inches so that it could slide easier into my cubicle cabinet.

Next steps from here I'll anodize that adapter. It'll give it some color, harden the surfaces, and hopefully make it easier to remove the regulator/adapter from the paintball tank under pressure much easier.

Here are some pictures for reference:
Before:

During:

After:
quark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:40 AM   #33
quark
Algae Grower

Still waiting on my tank to fill in, hopefully I'll get to fill it later this month. I have noticed that some HC is browning, but only on the right side of the tank, and I'm wondering if its because the right side of the tank gets a slightly different color spectrum than the left? More red on the right I think, possibly it gets less PAR. Anyone has experienced this? or am I thinking about it too much. I could bump up the light some more, its only running at about 40% of its max output.

6/5/2014
Old 06-09-2014, 05:33 AM   #34
Chris_Produces
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think it looks even. Only spots I see lack of light in, are the shadows in your early pics before planting.

Last edited by Chris_Produces; 06-09-2014 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: info
Chris_Produces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #35
MHerboth
Algae Grower

With paintball typically you have a lever which will depressurize your adapter I would look at getting one of these to go between your reg and the tank, however I doubt it would still fit in your cabinet with it on unless that silver adapter is the same thread as the tank.
Amazon.com : TRINITY Paintball Marker On-Off System, Black : Paintball Gun Accessory Kits : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : TRINITY Paintball Marker On-Off System, Black : Paintball Gun Accessory Kits : Sports & Outdoors
MHerboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:53 AM   #36
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (13/100%)

Nice work so far
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #37
quark
Algae Grower

Default The time is near.

So I decided to dedicate half a day yesterday and work on my Co2 setup, here is what I ended up doing:

- Wire brushed the threads, and anodized my paintball Co2 adapter, orange color.
- Removed needle valve that came with Atomic Intense Regulator.
- Attached 10-32 male to male connector.
- Attached Clippard ET-2M-12 Solenoid to manifold(I wanted 12volts low voltage for control with Arduino/Coralux Storm)
- Attached manifold to 10-32 male connector.
- Attached Clippard MNV-4 Needle valve ( I would have preferred to use a Fabco NV-55, but this is what I already had, the needle valve that came with the Regulator supposed to be good, but I don't like those slip/compression fittings)
- Attached a 10-32 to 1/8 hose barb adapter.

There isn't one-way valve attached, as I like to use inline ones instead, makes it easier to replace, rather than taking apart a regulator setup.

I really like Clippard stuff, they have good miniature stuff and each of their parts comes with rubber gaskets to make a seal. Teflon tape is hard to use in non tapered threads, and thread sealant can be messy to use and when removing it, it leaves crumbs that can get lodged into places. So far, I didn't see any leaks, but I wanted to get some bubble soap, just used dishwasher soapy water. Best part now, is I can actually remove the regulator with the adapter from the paintball tank when its still pressurized. The anodized adapter really helped with the thread interfaces, next time, I'll just make my own damn adapter, I have the ATSM specifications for paintball marker tank interfaces now. Anyways, here is my progress, or rather final results.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:28 AM   #38
Ecas32
Algae Grower

Any updates? How did the transition go once flooded?
Ecas32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:23 AM   #39
quark
Algae Grower

Hey Ecas32,

Sorry, no updates, haven't flooded it yet. I just ordered my filter, hopefully sometime next week, the water should be going in.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:50 AM   #40
Ecas32
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by quark View Post
Hey Ecas32,

Sorry, no updates, haven't flooded it yet. I just ordered my filter, hopefully sometime next week, the water should be going in.
awesome, keep us updated when you do!
Ecas32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:23 AM   #41
quark
Algae Grower

Holy moly, anxiety attack!

My filter supposed to come in the mail today, and my tank's HC dsm is growing in thick!

I think I need to fill soon! or trim soon!
but I heard in one of Amano's teachings no trimming should be done on a newly planted tank, does that apply to newly flooded tank?

Take a look at that front wall, the HC has no room to go, its going UP, I don't want the underside to start dying off.....

6/23/2014 pic.

Last edited by quark; 06-24-2014 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 06-25-2014, 09:31 AM   #42
quark
Algae Grower

Default IT's FLOODED!!!

Here it is, I flooded the tank!! HURRAY!

It was nice learning experience growing HC DSM style. Got the filter yesterday, and flooded the tank tonight. It was pretty awesome, shortly after the flooding, my HC started pearling, I didn't even kick on the Co2 yet, so I guess this was a good sign. The ADA Amazonia didn't cloud the water at all. Spent several hours hooking up the hoses, fiddling with the Co2 but it was worth it. I'll take more pictures later of the entire setup, its been a long night. Here are some teasers. Enjoy!

Flooded 6/24/2014:

Pearling HC after flood:
Old 06-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #43
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (13/100%)

Very neat. You've done something I really always wanted to do, I just hate the idea of co2 in my tanks. Your scape is gorgeous.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:12 PM   #44
Charrr89

PTrader: (14/100%)

Beautiful... I'm still working on mine.. I flooded 3 days after DSM. Got a bit impatient.

Finnex member #14
Charrr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:19 AM   #45
quark
Algae Grower

Thanks for the comments!
As promised, here are some pictures of my setup.

Paintball CO2 setup:
Intense Atomic Paintball regulator, Clippard Solenoid, Clippard needle valve, glass bubble counter running at 1 bps.

Filter/CO2 reactor, water catchment setup:
Eheim 2213 with default media.
CO2 reactor hooked up on the outflow side, (water flows top down)
Big black tubing is the drain hose for my water catchment tray. It isn't the prettiest, but its all hidden behind view.

For the Finale, TIMELAPSE! 2-month period.
"Click on the image"