MadRiverPat's 40 Breeder - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-08-2014, 01:39 AM   #16
MadRiverPat
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

CO2 all set up.

Last edited by MadRiverPat; 05-08-2014 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: ...
MadRiverPat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 06:54 AM   #17
Crazy4discus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/67%)

Nice setup!
Crazy4discus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #18
MadRiverPat
Planted Member

Update:

Changed a number of things around with this tank. I started with the ista mix max reactor and was having trouble with the flow. Decided to switch it up and try the inline atomizer. Thus far I feel like the bubble count is more controllable given the working pressure of the atomic regulators. Not sure I am a big fan of the cloudiness in the tank every talks about but there is no doubt that the plants are making the most of it.

I finally pulled the trigger to get a second canister filter. I was originally running the eheim 2215 with the in line reactor and my plan was to set up a second one with a hydor in line heater. They ended up sending my a 2217 instead of the 2215 so I've significantly upgraded filtration in the tank. I am trying to figure out if there is a better way of setting up the intakes/output to maximize tank flow, which will hopefully allow me to eliminate the use of my powerhead.

On another note, my flora and fauna is changing as well.

I brought my congo tetras and the rainbowfish back into my lfs for credit. Haven't decided what I want to replace them with. I got a few cardinal tetras from a friend of mine and I like the size of them in the tank. I am thinking I'll try and introduce another 10 or 15. of them. My lfs also had some pygmy cories in which I have always wanted to try. They most hide among the plants at the moment, which might be due to the flow in the tank.

I added some dwarf hair grass and glossostigma, both of which seem to be doing well. The DHG seems to be spreading a bit faster than the glosso but I have planted and replanted the glosso enough times that I think it's starting to settle in and send runners. Also added some more anubias and am trying to decide on what to do with the front right corner. I've got a small sword there now that I plan on moving to 20 long but haven't found the right plant to take its place.

algae has becoming apparent, which I expected after upgrading my year old aquaticlife bulbs to giesemann bulbs (aquaflora/midday). Im planning on cutting back the photoperiod since I haven't found a plausible way of raising the T5 fixture yet.

Ill take some photos this evening when the CO2 turns off and the water has cleared.

Last edited by MadRiverPat; 06-20-2014 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 06-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #19
180g
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

yea I think all tanks would look good with some cards in them. I hope my tank is.

I love dhg. it is by far my favorite foreground plant. you mite have some problems of it trying to take over the glosso tho. what can I say dhg is a conqueror if it has the right light, ferts, and co2.
(I'm 13 )
180g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 11:56 PM   #20
MadRiverPat
Planted Member

So a few more things have changed. Finally got a couple pictures uploaded showing the rocks that I added to the left side of the tank.

2014-05-02 16.20.10
by madriverpat, on Flickr

Also have some pics of the glosso and hair grass the day i planted it.

2014-05-04 00.21.54

And where the tank had progressed in may.

2014-05-04 00.21.44

And then it got neglected as I was waiting for the glosso and hairgrass to grow in. Had some algae troubles and ended up having to tear out a bunch of stems. managed to save most of the carpet plants though.

Last edited by MadRiverPat; 06-26-2014 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 06-28-2014, 02:35 AM   #21
water-kitties
Master of shrimp whiskers

PTrader: (12/100%)

Looking fantastic Pat! I'm thinking of adding 2217 too, my 2213 is just far to weak to make it across the 40b in my opinion. Also pygmy cories are such great little fish. Mine perch on top of my diftwood and don't hide much even though there are only three. I hope to find more soon to build up my group.
water-kitties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 03:50 AM   #22
180g
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

all of your scapes with this tank have been awesome! you are a great aquascaper my friend!
(I'm 13 )
180g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #23
MadRiverPat
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by water-kitties View Post
Looking fantastic Pat! I'm thinking of adding 2217 too, my 2213 is just far to weak to make it across the 40b in my opinion. Also pygmy cories are such great little fish. Mine perch on top of my diftwood and don't hide much even though there are only three. I hope to find more soon to build up my group.
Thanks. Yeah I just didn't think the 2215 was sufficient either. I have been considering just using a 2217 given how much flow I've got in the tank now, but I am guessing it will slow down a bit over time. I really like the small size of the pgymy cories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180g View Post
all of your scapes with this tank have been awesome! you are a great aquascaper my friend!
Thanks for the kind words. It's still very much a learning process. My very latest scape literally fell apart on me. I bumped the larger driftwood piece that was holding everything together and it fell. Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to make it stay put without uprooting everything. I might try and use the other pieces I had to create something similar.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #24
maddmaxx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Nice tank!!! and hello Fellow Vermonter
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.