Please come look at my tank profile let me know how I'm doing
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-23-2014, 03:29 AM   #1
Dementiaovrkl

PTrader: (0/0%)

Please come look at my tank profile let me know how I'm doing

We started a tank profile a while a go and are interested if we are going about it the right way as for balance in the tank. I am quite positive there's something I messed up some where.. We have had to replace a few things. We are interested in feedback on the xtra large plants in the tank as we would like a more tranquil feel. We would also like any advice, pointers or something just learned. We will be mixing our own fertilizers and using the PPS system instead of the Flourish, but we have pondered Yamoto Green out of laziness.

We thank you .. also my better half said my user name may scare people off... I did not think when I used it as it has been my gamer tag for almost 20 years so if it is offensive to some, you have my apologies.

Last edited by Dementiaovrkl; 06-23-2014 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: additional content
Dementiaovrkl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 04:58 AM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

For the Bonsai tree pass by the local plant nursery and take a look at a "Boxwood".
Some house plants are actually poison. Will give it a shot but Defenbachia is one such plant. Some have no reaction to it and others need to wear gloves to handle it.
Well the Boxwood is in that category. Doesn't in the least bother me but neither does that other plant. But if left to dry out completely, the sap is where any problems are.
I just think the structure of this plant will work for you. As for the size...the smaller ones will have fewer limbs of course.
With that CO2 and fairly high light, especially in the center, you should be able to do some red. Alternathera reineckii comes to mind as a favorite. Been wanting to try a
Cryptocoryne becketti which for some reason most of the pictures of it are mostly green, but I saw one that was purple. Bet that depends on the old either/or age or nutrients or both. BTW I haven't had one in ages but/w most rooted plants you can
only break off new plantlets, not cut them in half and actually you need to be gentle about how you plant a crypt. Amazon swords get huge. A couple of other swords stay smaller. A plant that will be red grown under optimum conditions and that can go across the back, at least on that end where the bulbs are towards the back is Rotala
Macrandra. Not an easy one though.
http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?wh...r_lang=2&id=60
I do think different shades of green change the look as much as red so I'm not obsesed on red. Just think it gives one more different look to a tank.
You might want to consider that having two of those "walls" in there and placing them opposing each other seems sort of "set-up" and replacing one with a couple of pieces of driftwood might look more natural.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
Dementiaovrkl

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Thank you

Thanks for your info, I am currently rethinking the bonsai, I would like the focal point but I am a bit scared to put one in. I see what you are saying about the rock walls we have been contemplating moving them so the driftwood that is in the tank can be seen. We thought about centering them in a half circle from the back of the tank, I was thinking of adding another layer of substrate in it for a layered dimension. But with rethinking the bonsai I am not sure what to do there. We tried when planting to keep it even so we bought 2 of everything and planted one on each side (not fully knowing how big some can get and have). I know I need to add more substrate to the entire tank as I think it is affecting some growth and color my lowest spot in the middle is only 1 1/2" while everything else is 3" we will have it at 3-4" soon. I will look into those plants you mentioned and hopefully add some different shades and colors. We see changes in the tank about every month or so some will really green up while others will yellow, the amazon sword will probably be removed unless something drastic happens with it.
Dementiaovrkl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I thought also one way of using both walls would be to terrace them. take the one on the right(for example) and put it behind the one on the left, but start the left end behind the front glass by about 3-4 inches but touching the left end glass. The other end going to the back glass. Fill in more sub behind it. That would look like steps, but not even so it doesn't actually look like stairs. But that was just a thought on how to use both of them still.
This link gives various needs/likes of plants including size.
http://www.aqua-fish.net/index.php?c...red=&section=6
Since I have two 10g tanks I use it before buying any plants to get small ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.