Starting a long journey..Riparium 20g long[BIG RESCAPE PHOTOS 6/23] - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-11-2014, 06:23 PM   #46
TeamKRF
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I bought a lily bulb from "petco" 1yr ago, think i payed a $1 for it on clearance and stuck it in my 20g long not expecting much. This thing grows like a weed and flowers on occasion. No matter how many stems i cut off this thing, it still comes back. the more i cut the more shoots come flying out. It creates a nice natural barrier from fast moving current to where i have Red Root Floaters on the calm side.
TeamKRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #47
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKRF View Post
I bought a lily bulb from "petco" 1yr ago, think i payed a $1 for it on clearance and stuck it in my 20g long not expecting much. This thing grows like a weed and flowers on occasion. No matter how many stems i cut off this thing, it still comes back. the more i cut the more shoots come flying out. It creates a nice natural barrier from fast moving current to where i have Red Root Floaters on the calm side.
Lucky, my local petco (and petsmart) are [censor] for plants, have to get 'em online :c. Does your lily have a bulb under it (looks like firm mud blob)? The one in my 7g is taking over but hasn't hit the surface yet, you can see it here, this one does have a bulb but its hidden by hygro tiger. there's *counts* damn 20+ leaves leaves on that one.
I got 4 lily plants off the rotted bulb that I stuck bank in the 20g tank, we'll see how they do. I'd love for them to take off and use as a main plant for underwater + surface growth and add a nice bit of red hue to my mostly green (and a little purple) plants up top. I tried using pennywort as a barrier for frogbit, riccia, duckweed, and salvia minima but the floaters just grew over it and onto the filter side, so now the floaters are stuffed in the shallow water of my emersed setup.
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #48
TeamKRF
Algae Grower

lilly bulb is about a 2" bulb that i completely buried in substrate. It was growing so much at first that i stuck a canister filter right on top of it to try and slow it down. By doing this it pushes the lilys "down stream" creating nice long stems that come to find out helps other plants stay in place especially during water changes.

Last edited by TeamKRF; 06-12-2014 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: image allignment
Old 06-12-2014, 01:08 PM   #49
TeamKRF
Algae Grower

so where the green canister is, in first pic above, marks where the lily bulb is planted right underneath it. There is also a HOB filter that is mounted on right side of tank pushed as far forward to the front as possible as to create strong current across the front glass. Sorry for unclear image, had to use iphone to expedite pics. There is a pic of this same 20g long in my photo album showing first week of setup and all its DIY co2 glory and small beginnings. (came on to site yesterday to do some profile updating and got wrapped up in reading your journal and haven't done a thing to profile other than upload those two pics.)

Dude! What was in that box!? either i missed it or its still not unveiled yet. Curiosity is killing me.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #50
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKRF View Post
so where the green canister is, in first pic above, marks where the lily bulb is planted right underneath it. There is also a HOB filter that is mounted on right side of tank pushed as far forward to the front as possible as to create strong current across the front glass. Sorry for unclear image, had to use iphone to expedite pics. There is a pic of this same 20g long in my photo album showing first week of setup and all its DIY co2 glory and small beginnings. (came on to site yesterday to do some profile updating and got wrapped up in reading your journal and haven't done a thing to profile other than upload those two pics.)

Dude! What was in that box!? either i missed it or its still not unveiled yet. Curiosity is killing me.
Thank you for the visual and sorry for distracting you from your goal (speaking of I need to update my "view user tanks" section).
As for the box post, it was a sneak peak for a 7g tank, journal HERE:
But since I'm here, this:

became this:

Xerxes the half moon plakat
He arrived silver (looked pretty cool actually) and colored back up fast. Now he rules a 7g cube with 2 otos and several misc snails.
btw that photo is 7 days old, the lily I have it taking over that side of the tank now.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #51
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default Eeeeeeeeeee

The manzantia wood just arrived! So excited to make a new scape with this! Still not sure how I'll place it in the tank yet.
Its 24Hx18Wx13T and needs to fit a 30Hx12Wx12T (to fit between the rim will need to saw down to 11" wide) no sure which branch will get loped and if I want stump end up out of tank (favoring this idea) or the smaller branches. After deciding which parts are visible and sawing off needed bits I'll burn and sand the cut areas to give a more worn rather than fresh cut look and begin soaking it. Anyways here's some photos of it outta the box

Old 06-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #52
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default Tank re-scape

Lot of changes last week
[Day 1] Prep
Mazantia cut in half with saws-all (husbands awesome idea)

[Day 2] Plants and planters arrive, que 6+ hours of water logged hands
Determining placement.. plants out, driftwood in

New Plants
Dwarf taro and lizards tail "bare roots" (to be grown in vase until presentable), Spathiphyllum(?) and Ruellia brittoniana 'Katie'

Oplismenus Basket Grass and aluminum plant

Needle leaf java fern, dwarf baby tears, and crypt parva and (wenditt?) green

Vase for grow out, riparium plants rearranged, new ones added, + 3 new plants and 2 trellis rafts

Everything else in (jumbo dwarf lily plant was confiscated from 7g that it was hogging up all the light in)

[Day3] Checkerboard checks out!
Finally remove the checkerboard table cloth!

New table cloth being prepped for some sewing work

And Black table cloth on (Velcro used at cut corner to make removing and cleaning very easy)

[Day 4] slight plant tweak + tannis
Dwarf baby tears remvoed, ricca added in its place, basket grass also removed (did not make it :c)

Old 06-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #53
pewpewkittah
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looking AWESOME! That wood looks great. Your tank has inspeirted me to start a 20L riparium once I move!
How do you grow your terrarium plants? The tank I want to do the riparium in currently has a "living wall" on the back.. and I'm not sure if I can plant into it.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

pewpewkittah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #54
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

It might not be all that noticeable in the tank, especially with the tannis now, but the wood had a bit of work done after sawing in half. All the cut branches that would not be buried in black diamond were dremil-moto-tool-ground/smoothed down, torched, and sanded to give a more worn/weathered look instead of fresh cut fugly-ness. Husband helped a lot with that too ^^
No photos today but I'm trying to transition leftover creeping jenny and ludwigia from my 7g to the riparium set up (emersed), they're looking pretty crappy right now but hoping new growth will do better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewpewkittah View Post
Looking AWESOME! That wood looks great. Your tank has inspeirted me to start a 20L riparium once I move!
How do you grow your terrarium plants? The tank I want to do the riparium in currently has a "living wall" on the back.. and I'm not sure if I can plant into it.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Happy to hear my tank inspired someone else to try it, its quite fun ^^

My above water plants are either anchored in the Hang on Back filter, stuffed in foam (around the sides or in slits cut into foam), or in riparium planters using expanded clay media, and a few are on treliss rafts that attach to the planters (both gotten from pt member hydrophyt). Some people use gravel or specific "riparium media" but it seems to be the same as the non expensive stuff sooooo I just went with what I already had. People also use hang on planter boxes/baskets, or even shower baskets to plant in, it just needs some holes to let water in through. I've been told to use root tabs by someone (forget who) but never added any, plants seem to do fine sucking up nutrients from the water. You could also try a sandwich of gravel-soil-gravel in a planter/basket to plant in (like any substrate: have to keep soil capped so it doesn't make a mess or leech too much ammonia into the water) but have not tried this either.

By "living wall" do you mean live rocks (like lava rock) stacked/glued together? Is there a gap behind it for filtration/equipment? Is there water flow behind it? If its thick and has some good nooks and carnies you can try stuffing plant clippings in, see if they take root (keep leaves out of the water for terrestrial plants). I've used thin (low poundage) clear fishing line to tie off plants as they get too long so they don't go under water, the 'wandering jew' does not have a strong stem like the pothos so it sags as it grows.
Downside of the 20g long: I ran out of room for planters too fast (without the wood I could cram 2 more on the back wall). I wish I could get my hands on a longer tank that had the same height as the 20 long.

edit: added photo:
new growth on the dwarf taro! (also aluminum plant bud and lizards tail in the back)

And a frontal view of HOB outflow with creeping jenny stuffed in there

Last edited by AquaAurora; 06-25-2014 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: added repsonce so no double post
Old 06-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #55
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default Riparium.. its an addiction!

So I actually am having more fun with the terrestrial plants then the aquatic ones in this set up. Honestly think my submerged plants are pretty pissed.. not getting as much light as they use to. I'm half tempted to get rid of the aquatic plants (except maybe the java fern, lily, and cyrpts) and just have the riparium plants and driftwood in since there's no fauna in the tank... hmm.. Might also just splurge at the $1 a gallon sale and get a tank to dump the plants in and grow out..
Anyways between the planted hob, heater, 5 planter baskets and 2 pieces of driftwood (trunks come out of the water) I'm running out of room. I only have the front glass and the side facing the office where I'm typing(and can see the tank) open, the back and opposite side wall are crammed full... But talking with people about ripiarums the past few days gave me the itch to add more.. I needed more planters for some "bare roots" specimens I got as they grow into something presentable, and also want to try some more house or garden (not always traditional riparium) plants.
Decided to grab some cheap shower baskets to try out, they passed the first test (empty suction -upped to glass, did not slide down/pop off) hopefully they do well full of media and plants too.

Also looked at some plants at my local Giant and Home Depot when I was there.. quick Google search says they can work in riparium (seen a few photos).. wonder if anyone on here has tried these in their own riparium:
Mondo Grass
Dwarf Palm Neanthe Bella
Syngonium
There were also some other short grasses and ground cover plants but I can't recall their names.. worried mondo grass and palm might get a bit tall though...

Also thinking of taking submerged grown giant hair grass and converting it to a riparium plant (above water.. not much humidity). Mines does NOT like the lack of light now so thinking of trying it above the water line see if it survives...
Old 06-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #56
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default My lowest nitrated ever!

Ok so to most this may seem like nothing.. but testing straight from the tap my nitrates read 20ppm (orange-red from api test) so i've never seen a yellow nitrate test (expect using a bottle of distilled water once when i was checking if the test was just widly off base) but never yellow in my tanks.. well the 2og is full of plants above and below, has some decay, and unknown #s of MTS but no other fauna left.. and I finally get to whip out the Seachem Nitrogen bottle to feed the plants.. "2.5 ml for 40g" so 20g about 1.2 ml *doses*

Of course I'll be removing all the fast growing non low light plants this sunday when teh $1 per a gallon sale goes on, get a holding tank (10g) for them and just leave the 20g with low light only plants underwater... will also pick up 2-3 of the other plants I mentioned in the above post and slot in the shower baskets with plants after taking out the medium light submerged stuff... Thinking of also putting the anubias that survived the rhizome rot disease (currently in my emersed set up) in the 20g so I can take that light back for the new 10g.. not sure what I'll do with the anubias I'm not 100% sure is "clean" its not rotting.. but not really grown since going emersed either.
Anubias I know is healthy:
3 coffefolia
2 hastfolia
2 nana narrow leaf
1 micro
1 unknown (portion of one from a petco buy never IDed)

I can't ID all the iffy anubias now, though 2 are petites.. one lost all its leaves but had good roots so i left it in, tis got a tiny thin green growth popig out the end of it.. not sure if it'd going to keep going or not (kinda stalled).

The dwarf lily is a damn monster, going to have to trim 1/2 the leaves at least when I do the tank re-arrange. Glad I didn't buy the non dwarf variety, can't handle any larger leaf size.. but that said I still really love its color. The driftwood had no floating issues when added (very happy about did not want to add awkward stones to keep it down) but its leeched a good bit of tannis into the tank (makes the white wall behind it lok yellow-orange). Its also gotten some white mold/fungus on the above water potions.. have q-tiped on some excel as i recall reading that it helps kill the mold.. hoping that's true.

Hopefully going to be making a black background this weekend with the leftover table cloth fabric, my husband's help, some scrap wood, screws, and a staple gun.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #57
180g
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can't wait to see this one finished! You mite convince me to plant my 20g that is just sitting around.
(I'm 13 )
180g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #58
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180g View Post
Can't wait to see this one finished! You mite convince me to plant my 20g that is just sitting around.
I've really enjoyed my 20g long so far even though i keep evolving it..
Old 06-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #59
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default Another rescpaing

So yesterday I spent getting prune-y hands again and redid the tank, took out a lot from below water, and added some more above. Also removed and scrubbed wood as it had the well known fungus on it, which was covered in snail poo.. not too attractive to look at..

Also wanted to show off how much of a monster the dwarf lotus has become

Post replanted riparium; added Dwarf Palm Neanthe Bella, Dwarf Taro, and Syngonium

Bellow water now only has: needle leaf java fern, cyrpr green and parva, and dwarf lily plants

Close up Fittonia albivenis

Close up aluminum plant

Close up Syngonium

[EDIT]
Oo forgot to add.. wood's been leaching so much tannis I thought I'd test my ph... its down O.O
(photo does not show it well but its 6.6-6.8)

I've never been able to safely get it below 7.5 without adding so much acid that it falls through the floor (water has very high gh and kh.. which ever it is that buffers ph does it well)
Going to have to keep an eye on ph fluxing from water changes (still comes out of the tap at normal ph)
Water changing out 75%+ of the water the ph has already drooped back down to about 7-7.2 over night (api color card is so hard to distinguish different colors on)
Old 07-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #60
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

I've still got to do some reading to catch up on everything that has happened since I left SC. Your tank is looking great now! I really like the new aquascape. The new wood is awesome, I think it looks much better since your most recent adjustments after the cleaning. In the previous layout the branch that was top center just seemed a little distracting, probably due to the amount of light reflecting off of it. Any plans to add some sort of moss to the branches?

I definitely know what you mean when you say you're having more fun with the riparium plants than the submerged aquatics. I tried for a long time to use stems and other fast growing plants in my system & eventually made the switch to crypts and slow growers. When I was planning the new scape after the move I made the decision to stick with the low light plants. Lots of Crypts, different Java Ferns & Anubias though there are a few different stem plants, mostly the ones that are slow grower under these light conditions. I think the scape I went with will grow to be a nice layout in time. I'd really like to switch everything to a 40B, especially after picking up a few last night that I'm going to use for emersed plants. Not gonna happen anytime soon though. I hope your new plants adjust well! i'm actually heading to Lowes in a bit to see what I can find to add to my 20L.
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote