How many fans?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 06-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

How many fans?

Didn't end up liking the look of the fixture I was working on so starting from scratch and I'm also doubling the amount of LEDs I am putting in for a total of 6. I ordered a 32x4.850" long heatsink from heatsinkUSA. At the absolute max with my current drivers the 6 LEDs will push a total of 225 watts. Of course they will never be pushed that high but want to take into account something going wrong like my controller crapping out which might cause the LEDs to run on full power.

I ordered this on newegg because price was right:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835200072

The new box is going to be as thin as possible while still containing the 48v power supply, 8up meanwell LDD board, and 12v step down board so ~4 inches with the fans screwed to the top with the accompanying holes. The bottom will be open with a piece of glass used as splash guard connected with lag bolts to the wooden enclosure so there is a good 3in clearance from glass to box.

Should I just go ahead and install all 4 fans? Should I get more fans?
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Gus-

If space permits- use all four fans. It may be overkill but a little extra redundancy is a good thing. If a fan were to ever fail, you'll still have enough air flow to adequately cool the leds until the failed fan is replaced.
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
Gus-

If space permits- use all four fans. It may be overkill but a little extra redundancy is a good thing. If a fan were to ever fail, you'll still have enough air flow to adequately cool the leds until the failed fan is replaced.
Yeah that's what I figured. These fans are very quiet at 21dBa so shouldn't be a problem having all 4 running. I am pretty sure my canister filters will be louder. I could go up to 8 if need be. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
PhysicsDude55
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I wouldn't rely on the fans to be the primary means of cooling.

You can also hook all 4 fans in series, and then hook those up in parallel with your LEDs, so that your fans will somewhat adjust their speed based on LED level. (4 12v fans in series = 1 48v load). Also alleviates having a 12V converter.

Not exactly sure how your lights are set up, but the more airflow you have over the water, the faster it will evaporate, so that might also be a factor, all 4 fans might cause you to have to fill up the tank with water much more often, if you don't have an auto top off or RO system or whathave you.
PhysicsDude55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55 View Post

You can also hook all 4 fans in series, and then hook those up in parallel with your LEDs, so that your fans will somewhat adjust their speed based on LED level. (4 12v fans in series = 1 48v load). Also alleviates having a 12V converter.

Not exactly sure how your lights are set up, but the more airflow you have over the water, the faster it will evaporate, so that might also be a factor, all 4 fans might cause you to have to fill up the tank with water much more often, if you don't have an auto top off or RO system or whathave you.
I have a 12v stepdown I purchased from ebay that works like a charm. I will be using the stepdown to power my Typhon and 4 fans. As far as evaporation the lights are going to be hanging 28" above the top of the tank. I am also putting in a glass splashguard on the bottom.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:43 AM   #6
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55 View Post

Problem with putting it in series when one fails they all fail.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote