Tankmates for Crowntail in a 4G
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-06-2014, 04:09 AM   #1
cjstl
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tankmates for Crowntail in a 4G

There are dozens of threads out there on betta tankmates, many with conflicting info. So I figured I'd start another!

My beautiful red male crowntail, Yadi (named after Cardinals' Yadier Molina, the best catcher ever in the history of baseball), is currently in a vase with a few horned nerites and a mystery snail. I'm moving him to a 4G Fluval View next week when it's ready. I'll probably move the mystery snail to another tank, so I'm looking for some new tankmates. I really really want cherry barbs, but I think I would need at least four of them, and I think that would not only be too much for the tank, but they probably wouldn't coexist peacefully, right?

Like his namesake, Yadi can have a bit of a temper. He sometimes treats the mystery snail like Brandon Phillips, and has previously harassed some whisker shrimp. He tends to swim all over his vase, and likes to sleep among the plants at the bottom.

Any suggestions as to what he might get along with? I have lots of Endler fry of various ages. I also have a pair of peacock gudgeons that I could re-home. Or I could try some other type of tetra. I like the idea of the red cherry barbs with the red betta. But maybe something like rummynose or bloodfin tetras would work better?
cjstl is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 05:08 AM   #2
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

it really all depends on your betta. i had 3, 2 males and a female. one male i had with guppy fry and shrimp because he couldnt care less. the other male could not be with fish with orange color. for some reason he didnt like orange and would nip and or kill any fish with orange. the female..... was mean all hell. when i got her she was little over an inch long. i put her in my 55 with the angels thinking she will grow fast and have lots of room. boy was i wrong. i woke up to my adult angels having really nipped fins and some really messed up fins on my bn. she has lived along for the last 3 years because she will kill anything if she get the chance.

now with that said a 4 gallon is really not big enough for tank mates and a betta. its just asking for problems. there is not much swimming room and betta can be territorial.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:30 AM   #3
cjstl
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's funny. I have an entire 29G tank with an orange theme. Your betta would go nuts

All my male guppies bred orange, and they're in the tank. My pearl gourami's have orange tinting too. The leopard danios match the yellow in the pearls, and tie it all together. I may soon add some of my male Endlers, which all have orange in them. I had to get some albino cories to offset all that orange and yellow. But my peacock gudgeons just clash!

I really wanted to add a blood parrot too, but I was afraid he'd get outcompeted for food by all of the top swimmers.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
garfieldnfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

You could try 2 or 3 African dwarf frogs. Some people had good results with that. I have never had a beta but I have ADFs and they are a lot of fun to watch. Feeding might be a bit of a problem as the frogs are slow and need frozen bloodworms and I feed mine frog pellets and shrimp pellets as well, which a beta might steal from them unless you figure out a way to place the food in the tank where only the frogs can get at it.
20g L174/L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs/RCS, 10g blue bees, 10g CRS, 15g L316/L46/L340 fry, 10g yellow rili/yellow shrimp, 15g ADFs/clown plecos, 25g L134s/CPDs/otos, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/zebra otos, 46g CAE/L134s/CPDs/salt and pepper corys/BNs, rubberlip pleco, 55g SAEs/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/mix of old fish folk, 30g L340s/L211/black darter tetras/CPDs/micro rasboras/L340 fry,10g tangerine tiger shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys
garfieldnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
JustJen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

None of the fish you mentioned (cherry barbs, rummynose, or bloodfins) are appropriate for that size of tank, regardless of the betta. I personally wouldn't put any of those in anything less than a 20, and even a 20 is probably pushing it, for the barbs especially as they like a lot of swimming room. A 20L or 30+ gallon tank is far more appropriate for the barbs or bloodfins especially. I haven't personally kept rummynose, but they'd be the only ones I might try in something smaller, but they still need a tank more than twice as big as you're working with at minimum. The gudgeons need more room as well.

For a 4g tank, you've got to look at micro fish really, but with a betta already in the tank, you're pretty limited on what can be added. At most, maybe a couple of male endlers. You just really don't have any room to work with there. The water parameters can go south in a hurry, and there's just not enough swimming room for most fish to live happily - especially things like barbs and tetras that do a lot of fast swimming along the length of their tanks.

To answer the broader question of what you can keep with bettas - the simple answer is that it all depends on the betta. I've seen bettas that could live peacefully with virtually any other fish (thankfully, most of mine were this way and all lived in community type tanks of varying sizes) and I've seen ones that would kill absolutely anything you put in their tank and I've seen ones that wouldn't stand up for themselves in the slightest and would get nipped and bullied and stressed to death by their tankmates. There are a wide variety of betta personalities, so when you go to trying to introduce them to community type settings, you just kind of have to see what your particular betta will accept and be prepared with a plan B to quickly move the betta to if the community setting doesn't work for him.
JustJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Why not try something different that won't take away the attention from him but rather just be there in the tank also...least Killi fish.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
cjstl
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJen View Post
None of the fish you mentioned (cherry barbs, rummynose, or bloodfins) are appropriate for that size of tank, regardless of the betta. I personally wouldn't put any of those in anything less than a 20, and even a 20 is probably pushing it, for the barbs especially as they like a lot of swimming room. A 20L or 30+ gallon tank is far more appropriate for the barbs or bloodfins especially. I haven't personally kept rummynose, but they'd be the only ones I might try in something smaller, but they still need a tank more than twice as big as you're working with at minimum. The gudgeons need more room as well.

For a 4g tank, you've got to look at micro fish really, but with a betta already in the tank, you're pretty limited on what can be added. At most, maybe a couple of male endlers. You just really don't have any room to work with there. The water parameters can go south in a hurry, and there's just not enough swimming room for most fish to live happily - especially things like barbs and tetras that do a lot of fast swimming along the length of their tanks.

To answer the broader question of what you can keep with bettas - the simple answer is that it all depends on the betta. I've seen bettas that could live peacefully with virtually any other fish (thankfully, most of mine were this way and all lived in community type tanks of varying sizes) and I've seen ones that would kill absolutely anything you put in their tank and I've seen ones that wouldn't stand up for themselves in the slightest and would get nipped and bullied and stressed to death by their tankmates. There are a wide variety of betta personalities, so when you go to trying to introduce them to community type settings, you just kind of have to see what your particular betta will accept and be prepared with a plan B to quickly move the betta to if the community setting doesn't work for him.
I've definitely got the male endlers. I need to read up on the peacock gudgeons. They were an impulse buy. I saw them at the LFS one day and thought they looked cool. They're in my 29G right now, but I was planning to re-home them to a smaller tank. My LFS actually had a few on display in a Spec 5, so I assumed they were a nano fish. I guess that should serve as a reminder not to trust the wisdom of people who are trying to sell you something :{
Old 06-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
cjstl
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Why not try something different that won't take away the attention from him but rather just be there in the tank also...least Killi fish.
I'll have to look into killi's. Aren't they basically tiny, colorless guppies? I'm pretty overloaded on livebearers right now between my guppies and Endlers.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
JustJen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

The gudeons don't need as much space as the other guys, 4g is just going to be too small to keep 2 of them, especially with a betta. I have a couple, and they got to be about 2" when fully grown - not huge, but too big for two of them to comfortably live in a 4g with a betta. That's what makes a 4g tough - there's just not any room for active fish to move around, even if they are tiny fish. It works for a betta as most of them are slower moving and not as active as a tetra or something, but it's hard to do much else besides shrimp or something in a tank like that.
JustJen is offline   Reply With Quote