Clown loaches with small fish?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-05-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
QuoVadis
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Clown loaches with small fish?

Would a 6 inch clown loach be ok with small fish like black neon tetras, kuhli loaches, and sidthumunki loaches? I know yoyos at that size have been known to pick off small fish, but what about clowns? They always seemed like a more peaceful loach to me, but I could be wrong.

FYI, this would not be the home indefinitely, but I am moving some fish around from various tanks while I get a new one set up, so I was just wondering if it would work for awhile.
Thanks!
QuoVadis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 01:09 AM   #2
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

The clown loach should do just fine providing it was raised in a community tank. Loaches are one of those fish that can be aggressive or passive depending on their tank mates. Also keep in mind the clown's are social fish, they like to be kept with at least 3 or 4 other clowns. The tendacy of the clown loach to defend itself has made it a very popular choice for those that are keeping cichlids and want a clean up crew. As for the size please know that clown loaches will often get to 10-12 inches long and upwards of 2 pounds, so they will need a big aquarium for fully grown. Also clown's love to hide, so you will need to make a few hiding spots for them. I have kept them in the past, but in their effort to hide they always ended up getting stuck somewhere and dying. If you have space for it, and it was raised in a community tank you should not have a problem with it, I have not seen a clown loach actively attack a fish, but I have seen them defend themselves plenty of times.
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 01:44 AM   #3
QuoVadis
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hmmm, I got them from someone who had them in a community tank, but it was yellow labs, and a bunch of random big fish, so not small community fish. I know how big they get. I have a 155g tank, and within a year or two I will finish building my 300+ gallon tank. I got two from the person, and I plan to get a couple more. Anyone else have any idea how a clown this size (the other one is maybe 3-4 inches) would do with those fish?
QuoVadis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.