Sick and Dieing Fish.. What is This? photo included - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #16
aja31
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceangirl View Post
If it is columnaris, your whole tank has it now. I got Columnaris from Ottos from Pet*****, and it wiped out my whole tank. I lost over 30 fish, Act fast. I used Kanamycin and Furan 2 combo. I had to pull all the plants from the tank, then dose Salt in 1 Tablespoon per gallon, and then wait for the meds to arrive. I did water changes every day and still lost fish EVERYDAY. I highly suggest A quarantine tank, I use a Bucket from Homedepot for 6 bucks and a sponge filter. I suggest you pull the Plants and start dosing salt.
Columnaris lives on ALL parts of the tank, plants even more so. If you pull the plants out, treat the tank and then put the plants back in, the plants will reinfect the tank and kill your fish anyway.

Columnaris can live up to 21 days without a host. You will need to treat ANYTHING that you can't soak in bleach with the same medication. I found that plants are pretty resilient, and the 3-4 day treatment period they will probably survive.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #17
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja31 View Post
Columnaris lives on ALL parts of the tank, plants even more so. If you pull the plants out, treat the tank and then put the plants back in, the plants will reinfect the tank and kill your fish anyway.

Columnaris can live up to 21 days without a host. You will need to treat ANYTHING that you can't soak in bleach with the same medication. I found that plants are pretty resilient, and the 3-4 day treatment period they will probably survive.
Well I have no problem letting my tank be fauna free for 1-2 months if it would kill off/starve out a disease. As long as "host" is not defined as: plants, substrate, and/or filter media (kinda like having those in the tank ^^')

The oto is still alive (well I saw him 2 hours ago before he went into ninja mode again) and no discoloration or off growths on it from close inspection.
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #18
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I HAVE SEEN THIS BEFORE and it is most common in any BLUE bettas or bettas from blue genetic lines. It's essentially 100% lethal, as of the time when I last looked into it.

I suggest going here and reading all about it. Some of these people have spent a lot of time and money sending affected fish off for lab testing to try and narrow down what it is.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086

It is not columnaris and it should not affect other members of your tank, last I checked.
SunSun Pimp #86
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:41 PM   #19
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I did Q my plants for 35 days in a tank by themselves. I also dipped them in H202 just to be sure. I was scared it would come back.

Tags
disease, help please, identify, sick fish