Alge is not my friend - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 02-27-2004, 06:44 PM   #16
cruizer
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cruizer Send a message via MSN to cruizer Send a message via Yahoo to cruizer

well good, i seem to be pretty much set then. Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2004, 05:04 AM   #17
cruizer
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to cruizer Send a message via MSN to cruizer Send a message via Yahoo to cruizer

This stuff just won't go away!! Someone make it stop! Between 9 last night and 8 this evening I managed to get a nice layer of algae on my glass. I cleaned the algae off yesterday. I noticed thursday my PO4 was somewhere in the "2.0 and above" category, so yesterday I did a 30% water change all tap (it was to late to mix with RO), and tonight, I did a 50% water change (because the PO4 was still "2.0 and above"), again, all tap.

I'm now watching my plants as they near the surface, noticing they're all growing towards the middle of the tank now, where the light is. I was thinking about ordering another 55watt CF, but if I can't keep the algae under control at 55watts, I'd hate to think about 110!
Old 03-06-2004, 09:49 PM   #18
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Patience, and more plants... I saw you're expecting more clippings.

How are those nitrate levels doing?
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:05 PM   #19
cruizer
Planted Member

Nitrates are staying right at 5ppm.

Would you suggest daily water changes to bring down the PO4?
Old 03-07-2004, 08:56 PM   #20
Wasserpest
Are these real?

How did the phosphates get up that high? Earlier you wrote that they were 0.5, which is right on... did you mix up PO4 and NO3? Yes, you should do some water changes to get them back down, and lock away that KH2SO4. Adding more plants, keeping the levels around 5/0.5, and some patience will be the best weapons for battling algae.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:07 AM   #21
cruizer
Planted Member

See, that's the funny thing...I DON'T KNOW!
The only thing I've added to this tank is a Betta, and the only thing that's come out is a clown knife. Beats the heck outta me. Water changes it is!

PS: I hate being patient :lol:
Old 04-01-2004, 04:27 PM   #22
cruizer
Planted Member

Well, I got some Phosphate Eliminator last week and put some in with my water change tuesday. Wednesday, phosphates were down (even though the bottle said up to one week to notice anything) to .5. Nitrates were at a steady 5. I can seem to keep my GH and KH at steady levels (I keep a list of the dates and what the levels were) 16 and 9 respectively. PH hovers around 7.2.

My water wisteria seems to have stopped growing all together. The Java Ferns, Annubias Coffeeolia, Crypt Wendtii, and other foreground plants are groing very slow. A few background plants are growing fast and others are not. But EVERYTHING is covered in algae. I clean the glass every 2 days, and pull out hair algae about every day. So with the paramteres back in check, we'll see how the tank responds.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:58 PM   #23
cruizer
Planted Member

Just as an update for anyone that is following this thread, I have now gone since tuesday without having to scrape algae, and I don't even see any on the glass!! In fact the little bit of algae that was in the hard to get spots seems to be going away. Haven't pulled out any hair algae in about a week, and there is little algae showing on only a few plants. I have to put in some KNO3 every other day, and I have to add Phosphate remover when I do water changes, but everything pretty much seems to stay in check. My PH has gone from a steady 7.2 up to 7.8 on tuesday, yesterday it was down to 7.4.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:41 AM   #24
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Nothing better than having a big problem and being able to solve it... a little patience is priceless, no instant results here.
Enjoy!
Old 04-17-2004, 06:48 AM   #25
cruizer
Planted Member

As impatient as I am, I managed to remove it without going out and buying instant algae removers! If you haven't seen it, there's an update in the pics section.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:34 PM   #26
houstonplant
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can some one post the place they sell the chemicla and chuck page formular. i am having the same problem in my plant and discus tank now.

i have green algea on glass and hair on substrate and brown string on drift wood.

110g, pressurized c02, eco-comp, 2x120 aquasun and 4x75w (6500k spiral bulbs). i just dose sechem frourist when i do wc 25% once a week.
houstonplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 03:48 PM   #27
Wasserpest
Are these real?

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_aquacalc.htm

http://www.gregwatson.com/products.asp
Old 04-20-2004, 05:12 AM   #28
houstonplant
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for your reply.
houstonplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:46 PM   #29
cruizer
Planted Member

Just as an update, today marks thge one week date from which I have scraped any algae off the glass of my tank. I can see a little film, but nothing hindering. Of course today is water change and cleaning day, so it'll get scraped no matter what.

One thing I do admit, and I don't think I mentioned this earler. I haven't dosed Flourish Complete or Iron in the last two weeks. I think I may have been overdosing them. But my plants haven't shown any lack of nutrients since then either.