How bad is the effect of Maracyn to plants?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 04-17-2004, 07:44 AM   #1
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I read many thread on BGA and somewhat understand about this type of algae/bacteria. I have some in my tank since last week but not as bad (actually very little compared to the tank pictures some of people's post here). I can easily vacuum it without and scrubbing or picking by hand. But most of them turned to brown. Are they dying? Do I need to treat with 1/2 dose of Maracyn? Also, I have a nice carpet of hairgrass in my tank that just turned nice green and covering the foreground nicely. Would Maracyn make it turn to brown??

I had problems with hair algae before and slight staghorn problems but they all are gone now without a trace :roll: . I don't know if this has anything to do with my BGA now.
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2004, 08:43 AM   #2
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In the past I've only used it at half strength to no ill effect on my plants. I suspect that may be more conservative than necessary, but given that such a dose is completely effective against BGA, there's no real reason to use it at full strength.
2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 08:51 AM   #3
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

Thanks 2la, I was worried on ruining my hard work on the hairgrass :lol:

I apologize, I think I didn't make it clear on my second question earlier. What I meant was I would follow the 1/2 dose of Maracyn if I really need to treat my tank. But I'm just not sure whether I need to treat it at all. Should I wait until it really blooms or are they dying in my tank already because they turned to brown color?

I'm really mad though. I just managed to get rid of all the hair and staghorn algae in my tank until no trace of them at all. It was so clear for a week and this BGA started to appear a few days ago. And just when I was gonna treat it, they turned to brown color. What the heck is going on :twisted:
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote