Sneak peak at the new plant light! - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Current-USA and Ecoxotic

Old 05-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #121
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarksvr View Post

One site has them available for preorder, with some info/graphics...

12" - 18" E-30 Full Spectrum LED $132.95 (This is the base price, and u add the extra money below when you go up to that size (Keep in mind you would have to buy the Dual ramp timer to get sunrise/sunset/moon light with a normal satellite +, so when you factor in that cost, these lights are very comparable in price, but much more light)
18" - 24" E-45 Full Spectrum LED +$38.00
24" - 36" E-60 Full Spectrum LED +$57.00
36" - 48" E-90 Full Spectrum LED +$133.00
48" - 60" E-120 Full Spectrum LED +$180.50
(Kinda pricey but remember you get the ramp timer that allows for automated sunrise/sunset/moonlight instead of manual activation on the + fixture and it has FX too ...Looks like it is basically a freshwater version of the Orbit marine fixture. The "resume" feature is nice, so you can do your storm without having to reset the sunrise/sunset/moonlight schedule.
- See more at: Ecoxotic E Series Full Spectrum LED Strip 12", 18", 24", 36", 48", 60" (*PREORDER*)
Awesome find Dmarksvr. It's great to see some specs on the long awaited light. Personally I'm not a DIY guy with the Arduino, so this should be even better than the predecessor Satellite Freshwater LED plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldDays View Post
$250 for a 36 inch....????? I'm out! Finnex Planted + looks a lot better to my wallet.
Not everyone can afford the Ferrari, but both companies make great products - just one comes with more features than the other.
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #122
Scipio
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (73/100%)

I have the Satellite Planted plus 36" on my 26g long and I'm pleased with it. But I did not think that the Satellite Planted plus 48" would be enough for my 125g low tech tank that is 60Lx24Hx18D. Maybe two Satellite Planted plus 48" but I held out in making any decisions in purchasing a replacement fixture for my 125g and decided to wait for 48" E-120 Full Spectrum LED. But at $313.45, I might as well go for 60" from BuildMyLED that will cover the full length of my tank for $329!

Either way I'm glad I waited.

Eheim Pimp #370 - Eheim Ecco 2232
Scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #123
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

PAR 60 at 18" is not bad for FW, but not earth shattering. I am personally more interested in spread, I.e. will I have to use 2 fixtures (again) to cover a 18" wide tank. 24" wide tank.

Upgrading 10+ satellite+ fixtures that I got less then 6 months ago will be painful. Lets see some retail prices.

v3
Old 05-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #124
Dmarksvr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermino View Post
Awesome find Dmarksvr. It's great to see some specs on the long awaited light. Personally I'm not a DIY guy with the Arduino, so this should be even better than the predecessor Satellite Freshwater LED plus.

Not everyone can afford the Ferrari, but both companies make great products - just one comes with more features than the other.
Thanks, arduino is beyond me too but a guy from dendroboard is making one for his + fixture and said he might hook me up with one... so I may still buy a + for that reason, but straight out of the box this light is better suited to my vivarium needs. The standard + wouldn't be bright enough for most of my vivariums, and I got the impression that it didn't have the "resume" feature so if you activate a storm it screws up your sunrise/sunset mode. Then there is the limited compatibility of the ramp timers. So the E-series looks to be much more of what I had hoped the satellite + would be, but kinda fell short.

I think with these lights it kinda boils down to how important the FX are for you. I love that kinda thing, and it will compliment some things I'm doing with vivariums. For others that just wanna light their tank maybe not. But seems like a fair number of people are buying 2 satellite + fixtures to light a tank and this is basically twice the light as one those and you get the equivalent of a dual or maybe even ramp timer pro so you have to factor that in (if sunrise/sunset etc.. is important to you). This is only one store's listing also... Maybe other places will be cheaper, the price will probably come down and sales will be run of course just like the + fixtures.

I plan on trying some BML's when they release the multi channel lights but the controller from BML is $100+ so again if sunrise/sunset is important you have to factor in that when comparing cost to the E-series. Also if you're holding out for the BML multi channel lights they'll likely be a bit more pricey then what BML currently offers. Apex and other controller/led fixture combinations are an option but that is a little intimidating for some people, both in price and on the technical side. This is plug and play for all us idiots

So anyways my 2 cents is this is worth it for people who care about FX and sunrise/sunset/moonlight functionality, but the satellite + just wasn't quite bright enough and/or automated enough.

Oh and for people wondering about the spread, I swear I read somewhere the led's were 120 degrees... but I can't find that info now so don't quote me on it.
Dmarksvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #125
GoodOldDays
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

"Oh and for people wondering about the spread, I swear I read somewhere the led's were 120 degrees... but I can't find that info now so don't quote me on it."

The Finnex Planted + is advertised at 120 degree spread.

Last edited by GoodOldDays; 05-18-2014 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: Spelling
GoodOldDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #126
Dmarksvr
Algae Grower

Quote:
"Oh and for people wondering about the spread, I swear I read somewhere the led's were 120 degrees... but I can't find that info now so don't quote me on it."

The Finnex Planted + is advertised at 120 degree read.
OK found where I read it. Its on the infographic for the E-series under the "typical light output" section where it shows par at different distances. Off to the right a little it says,.. " Led lens 120 degrees"...."led reflector 60 degrees"
Old 05-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #127
Chris_Produces
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
PAR 60 at 18" is not bad for FW, but not earth shattering. I am personally more interested in spread, I.e. will I have to use 2 fixtures (again) to cover a 18" wide tank. 24" wide tank.

Upgrading 10+ satellite+ fixtures that I got less then 6 months ago will be painful. Lets see some retail prices.

v3
Yeah that's what I was thinking, but definitely better than the Sat+ on it's own. I run two Sat+ on a 40B and love it. I think for the money (minus things like FX lighting) t5HO would still be the way to go for intensity at those depths.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #128
Archerofthemoon
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yep, definitely down for a pair of these! Like OVT, interested in what the retail price ends up on these guys.

8" Cube - Planted w/CO2 (inj), Eco-Complete, & Sat+
8" Cube - Planted w/CO2 (liq), MGOPS & Sat+
8" Cube - **Pending**
12"x12"18" - Vivarium Grow Out (immersed)
36"x18"18" - Carnivorous Vivarium
20"x10"x6" - Grow out (submersed)
Archerofthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #129
Current USA
Sponsor

Wow! you guys found the info quick! Here's the information on Ecoxotic's official webiste: http://www.ecoxotic.com/e-series-led.html

Follow us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/CurrentUSA
Current USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #130
wintu
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

nice looking light . i wish they were more powerful. also can you hang theses or are they designed to sit on top of the tank?
wintu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #131
GoodOldDays
Algae Grower

The going price at Kensfish.com for an Excotic Marine 36 inch long is about $180; so being that these two lights are approximately the same, I would imagine that the street price will be close to $180
GoodOldDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:16 AM   #132
Dmarksvr
Algae Grower

Quote:
The going price at Kensfish.com for an Excotic Marine 36 inch long is about $180; so being that these two lights are approximately the same, I would imagine that the street price will be close to $180
do you mean the Orbit marine? ...I see it listed on Ken's for 180 in 36"-48" but the E-series has 10 more watts at 36"-48", and if the price from my link is going to be fairly close to what others offer it at, we're looking at $260. But... for 180 you can get the 24"-38" (which has 9 more watts then the orbit marine 24"-36"). I don't know about you guys but go off actual length of the fixture... like I don't consider the 24"-36" light a 36" inch light just because the stand will stretch that far when the actual fixture is only 24.5".

Looks like the 24-36" will be thes sweet spot value wise. You jump from up 38 from the 12-18" 132 base price making it 171 for the 18-24, but only another 20 for the 24-36", then you jump 75 for 36-48", and another 50ish for 48-60"... strange that it isn't just a 20-30 dollar raise each time. I guess they are basing it off popularity of specific sizes and are discounting the 24-36" the most because they figure they'll sell the most of those???

I guess i'll probably be going with the 24-36" for most of my vivariums, then putting some old lights I have laying around on a timer to come on/off between the sunrise/sunset of the e-series to fill out/boost the light during midday.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #133
ipkiss
Planted Tank Obsessed

wow.. finally! thanks for the links, guys!
ipkiss is online now   Reply With Quote