Maybe you guys can help... or maybe its fine? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-09-2004, 07:37 PM   #16
Juan-Carlos
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey guys, ok i'm going to check out the Bottle method then. thanx for the link ninoboy. Is there anyway to prolong the Co2 production?? so that maybe it will last 2 months at a time? Maybe a bigger container? any ideas? Is it possible?

Sean, I have other tanks that arent setup at the moment but the betta should be fine, I used the 5 gallons from his origional tank, and the same filter wich is full of bacteria. Yes I have test kits So i'm keeping an eye on it just incase But thans a lot for offering your concern. I'm glad you like the plants, Any idea what the purple one is? It was marked a ruffle plant no tag or latin name :/ And the wendtii was unmarked also any idea wich type it could be?

If you notice the hair grass has a peice of micro sword growing with it, is that going to be a problem? cause I kinda like how it looks and if its ok i'd like to put the peices of micro sword I have on the right side of the rock in that left corner with the dwarf hairgrass so I can try my hand at a riccia carpet at the front with out having the micro swords killing it off.

Thank you,

-Juan-Carlos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2004, 11:33 PM   #17
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

For a 10 gl, I would just use 1 type of carpet plant. You can see that when those micro swords or hairgrass send their runners, they gonna get mixed up. It's kind of law of the jungle and whichever win the space will take over the tank.

Regarding DIY CO2, I never tried larger container. Others may jump in and give you advice. I use 1.5 cups of sugar, 0.5 teaspoon of yeast and get it run for 3 weeks. What I do is I don't dissolve the sugar completely in the beginning. When the CO2 production slow down after the first week, I shake the bottle to dissolve more sugar and the CO2 increase again. On the 18th day, I prepare another bottle and let it sit for 2 days (to start the CO2 production).
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 02:32 AM   #18
Basilisk
Planted Member

I see you have a HOB filter, what is it? It looks rather narrow to me to be an AquaClear. Anyway, many people around here use it a dissolver, and seem to have great results with it. There you can save a couple of bucks more. If your filter has a bio-wheel it might increase the loss of CO2, howvener I haven't used bio-wheels myself. I wouldn't remove now that the tank has just been settled.

By the way, that is one nice betta. Is he more delicate than the regular bettas? I don't think there would be much problem with ammonia with just one fish and some plants, but a hundred dollars are worth the worry.
Basilisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 02:44 AM   #19
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

it looks like a whisper 5-15...

GREAT BETTA!!!!
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 02:49 AM   #20
Juan-Carlos
Algae Grower

Eek I dont want one plant to take over, I guess i'm going to have to keep an eye on them and do regular trimming. I planted the hair grass inside a 2" deep 4" wide clear plastic deli container as to block the roots from spreading too much and hopefully mantining it a nice patch with regular stragling shoot trimming. I also did that to the micro swords but in a deli cup that is not that wide and I put it next to the hair grass in the left corner. The reason I did this was because I want to front to be covered in either woven riccia, java moss or xmas moss, OR Glosso. I'm starting to see by the comments that its going to be a constant trimming battle to seperate them heh oh well lets see how it comes along. Does the bottle DIY Co2 produce any smell?? I heard somewhere it smells like spilt beer :/ since this is in my bedroom that wouldent be too appealing. Basilisk, that is a small Palm filter 4" no bio wheel. the Opaques are more delicate yes mine suffered from fin rot a while back and infortunatly has some nips in his tail:/

Yeah i worry lol, But ammonia has been at 0.

-Juan-Carlos
Old 04-10-2004, 02:52 AM   #21
Juan-Carlos
Algae Grower

BTW if any of you guys have riccia or javamoss/xmas moss trimmings you wanna get rid of I can use some or glosso. I can pay priority shipping.

-Juan-Carlos
Old 04-10-2004, 05:04 AM   #22
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

Carlos the tank looks good but I would add some more cheapy stem plants to suck up nutrients. You could always take them out later. This is the standard method to help curb algae in a new setup. All the plants you have are mainly root feeders and won't suck much out of the water. A perfect recipe for algae with the amount of light you have. Pack the tank with cheap stem plants like cabomba and anacharis, which you can remove later and replace with more desireable plants.

I wouldn't worry too much bout the tank cycling with the betta. Generally labryinth fish do fine with cycling, as they can breath surface air. However, I don't know if I'd push that theory with a $100 fish :lol:

BTW: Your marine sphere is uber cool. And of course that betta is phenomenal.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:19 AM   #23
Juan-Carlos
Algae Grower

Hey Bob, Thanx for the compliments ont he tank and betta I'll put some chepo plants in there then! I can get elodea and cabomba locally for free the stuff grows everywhere, in cannals, ponds lakes marshes all over. Since I am in Miami florida and the everglades is just umm well I live on everglades lol! Thanx for the advise.

-Juan-Carlos
Old 04-10-2004, 05:29 AM   #24
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

No problem buddy. I am moving to the Tampa area in 1.5 months. I love Florida, can't wait to get out of the cold
Old 04-10-2004, 06:55 AM   #25
Juan-Carlos
Algae Grower

Hey guys, I'm about to do an order from Aquariumplant.com are they good, Do they send nice healthy plants? I have these plants in my shopping cart, and would like some comments before I order on Monday.
This is for my 10g, 38W PC's, 2" Flourite, CO2 SOON to come.

3 Rotalla Wallichii (Rotalla wallichii)(LARGE size 9"-11", 6-8 stems)

3 Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus)(LARGE size 5"-7",3-4 stems per order)

1 Hygrophilia Polysperma (LARGE 8"-10" bunch 6-8 stems)

3 Telanthera Rosefolia (Alternanthera reineckii) ( 9"-10", 6-8 stems)

3 Rotala Magenta (Rotala macrandra v. 'narrow leaf')( 9"-11", 6-8 stems)

1 Baby Tears (Hemianthus micranthemoides)(potted)( 9"-10", 6-8 stems

3 Glossostigma (Glossostigma elatinoides)(thick bunch, 2"-3" height, 10+ stems)

3 Diandra (Didiplis diandra)(LARGE size 9"-10", 6-8 stems)

Please let me know guys if theres something that isnt going to do good, or get WAY too big. OR if theres another plant that I should add to the list.
I already have chain swords, micro swords, dwarf hair grass, Crypt Wendtii, and purple ruffle. I'm also going to get Riccia and java moss soon.

Thanx,

-Juan-Carlos

Ps. Any idea Where i can get some nice drift wood??
Old 04-10-2004, 05:35 PM   #26
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

Carlos,

The guy that wants to buy my riccia is the owner of that place. He said that he doesn't have the macranda even though it's listed on the site and he may not have the didiplis because of a problem at the nursery. I've never ordered from him so I can't comment on his plants. I have ordered from aquariumdepot.com and have had good results. Also I've heard Floridadriftwood.com is good.

Your plants look fine. Just keep in mind that with high light and CO2, you will be trimming weekly in a 10G.
Old 04-17-2004, 01:50 AM   #27
Juan-Carlos
Algae Grower

Well guys, I got some, well a whole lot of new plants! And a did a major aquascape change. I bought a couple peices of drift wood also.
check out some pics 5 min. after aquascaping so water is still cloudy!
Thing should start lookig nice after a week or so when plants start facing the top, leaves start changing color cause of new lighting, and plants start growing.

And this is a close up of the pellia in the center I got from Tony

I also got a hitchicking Amano shrimp that came in with one of the plants! I dont know wich since I got plants from 4 diffrent people in a 2 day period. But regardless My male betta tried to eat her a couple times and wouldent leave her alone so I took the shrimp out.... How well will the amano shrimp do in an unfiltered 1/2 or 1 gallon plastic tank with a ball of java moss?? she also has some eggs, will this work?

-Juan-Carlos
Old 04-17-2004, 01:57 AM   #28
Juan-Carlos
Algae Grower

I got almost all the plants from www.aquariumplants.com and let me just say WOW!! they are great! the plants arrived in great shape, Big bunches, Very colorful and healthy and some freebies too!! I REALLY recomend them! 100%
-Juan-Carlos