Upstate New York anyone? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 05-16-2014, 12:32 AM   #16
sehkmete
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
That tank (and the discus) look beautiful.
sehkmete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #17
JaysTanks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ctaylor~ Now that's a response! Exactly what I was looking for, if I ever head up that way I'll be sure to check them out, much appreciated.

Also, I will keep you in mind, for when I decide to set up a shrimp tank. May I ask what kind of shrimp? Got a link to some pictures?
JaysTanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #18
JaysTanks
Algae Grower

Oh Aqaustudent, good to know I'm not alone in Albany. I work in Albany, but live in Colonie.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #19
JaysTanks
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaStudent View Post
There are quite a few people in the area.

I've got a question for y'all. I'm looking to decorate a new 135g and was wondering if anybody has used local shrubbery and if they had any suggestions.

I was considering asking some of my relatives out in California to cram a box full of Manzanita but I'm not sure I want someone else picking out my options :P Plus, the best pieces, the ones with the most character, will make it difficult to send other pieces in the same box.

I found some nice looking dried logs near my place that I was considering using but am open to suggestions.
What do you mean by local shrubbery, You're planning on using shrubs in your tank?
Old 05-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #20
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysTanks View Post
What do you mean by local shrubbery, You're planning on using shrubs in your tank?
By shrubbery I just meant what's left over. I recently showed my friend (he's from China) a clip from Monty Python and I have shrubbery on the brain.

I'd end up using some sort of hardwood. There are some nice fallen pieces of birch that I feel would make a great scape.

I'm going to have some monster fish so I don't want something so large that it looks chunky but also need something that'll be able to take a beating.

I'm a graduate student a UAlbany. I'll hopefully be here for a few years (assuming I don't get kicked out).
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 04:45 AM   #21
JaysTanks
Algae Grower

Oh I was going to go there I just finished at HVCC. Birch decomposes really fast to be honest. I would stick with manzanita.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #22
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

Good to know! Thanks!
Old 05-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #23
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Hardwoods are beyond common, there's loads of state land in the area and I'm sure you could find some nice pieces. Or you could take a trip up to Lake George later in the summer and take out a Kayak and find some really nice pieces, or stay closer and look at other smaller places.

Thompson's Lake (there's a state campground with a launch) Not a ton of people usually, and it's pretty shallow and would be easy to find pieces in.
There's also Partridge Run that has loads of small ponds on it, and it is thousands of acres of state land, might be a good place to look at, its roughly a 30 min. drive from the Albany Campus, possibly 45 min.

I'm pretty much always down for Trading some plants and fish if anyone ever has the urge

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 11:24 PM   #24
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

Thanks ADJ. I have family up in Ticonderoga and I'll be hiking a bunch of the high peaks this summer. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes out.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:47 PM   #25
MeCasa
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Spring runoff on any of the million local creeks provides a plethora of opportunity. Cross a bridge, pull over and walk up or downstream depending on your mood.

35 years in Texas but I was born and raised in Saratoga County New York, the Adirondak's are my first love.
MeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 04:13 AM   #26
ctaylor3737
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

Anyone know if,there are native plecos up here. We saw something in a stream that looked like one but didn't have a net

-Chris
ctaylor3737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 11:54 PM   #27
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaylor3737 View Post
Anyone know if,there are native plecos up here. We saw something in a stream that looked like one but didn't have a net

-Chris
Don't believe so, could have been some sort of bait fish such as a sucker or the likes, i don't think a pleco could survive in the temperatures the water is

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 12:10 AM   #28
ctaylor3737
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

Yea, that's what we thought it was gone before,we could really tell lol. Was pretty,neat looking fish

-Chris
ctaylor3737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #29
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaylor3737 View Post

-Chris

Perhaps it was a "sucker"?

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7014.html

"
Suckers

click for larger image
A large group of fish, numerous species of suckers inhabit New York State's waters. Some, such as the redhorse, are only found in a few waters in the State, while others, such as the white sucker, can be found all over New York State.
Suckers look like large minnows. They have generally large fleshy lips and most species have underslung mouths. The shape, size, and coloration for a single species may vary according to the habitat they live in. Suckers range in size from six to 24 inches. They are omnivorous, eating both plant and animal material along the bottom of streams and lakes.
Suckers are spring spawners. During the spawning period, males develop small, raised structures called tubercles on their head and fins. Suckers migrate upstream and spawn in groups in shallow, swift water. Like salmon, some suckers make large "spawning runs" in certain New York State streams.
Suckers are a main food item of osprey and eagles. They are fun to fish for and although few people have tried them, they are excellent to eat. They have firm, white, light-tasting meat, especially during spring."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.