Wanted: Broken/cheap Deep Blue 5 way Betta barracks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Massachusetts

Old 05-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
Beer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wanted: Broken/cheap Deep Blue 5 way Betta barracks

Looking for a broken or super cheap Deep Blue 5 way Betta barracks as the title says. Mostly just need it for the trim and lid, but any extra glass panels would be a bonus.
Making version 2 of a custom tank for saltwater since V1 was more of a prototype and not as clean as I would like (also needs improvement).
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
aquaful
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I can order DB products but I am sure there's a way to help you with your engineering requirements that probably won't require buying anything.

My understanding regarding the main point of the plastic frames for the top and bottom of glass tanks is to 1. allow the builder to use thinner glass and 2. to provide more robust platform for the tank to rest on, as opposed to relying on a nice flat surface, 3. to permit sloppier silicone work. 4. make tank assembly easier.

For a design like the 5-way breeder, the trim may actually be completely unnecessary if the dividers are bonded in. That should provide enough bracing from end to end, especially for a tank of those dimensions.

The BettaCare 5 Compartment Betta tank is the ultimate in multiple betta housing. With sturdy injection-molded frames, this tank comes complete with 4 glass divider panels and glass canopy.
  • Size - 12" x 6" x 18"
  • Color - Black
  • Canopy and dividers included
It's rated at only 2.3 gallons

I have some spare 12" glass panels of both low iron and regular iron glass you can have. tell more about your tank and maybe I can help you figure out a solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer View Post
Looking for a broken or super cheap Deep Blue 5 way Betta barracks as the title says. Mostly just need it for the trim and lid, but any extra glass panels would be a bonus.
Making version 2 of a custom tank for saltwater since V1 was more of a prototype and not as clean as I would like (also needs improvement).
aquaful is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:56 AM   #3
Beer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am modifying it to be a pico reef. I cut (ground with a diamond bit) a notch in the back panel for the overflow. I made a sump out of corrugated plastic that sits behind the tank. I am going to affix a channel to the back that flows in to the sump. Sort of an AIT (al in two)
This is version two, I am cleaning it up a bit from version one where I silconed a piece of glass along the top on either end, so it is just shy of being a coast to coast overflow (kind of hard to explain without getting too lengthy). I wanted to do it without disassembling the one that is currently up. I figured somebody would be interested in it at least as a small frag tank, but I am just going to strip it down and reassemble it tomorrow. I want the trim so it is easier to put a lid on it and so I don't have to worry about the T5 light resting on top until I build a LED light for it. The cuts in the glass aren't really good enough to run it without the trim.

I'd love to go with lo iron for the front, but it looks like those pieces would be too short. I do appreciate the offer though.

I absolutely love the dimensions on these tanks, especially in pictures, they look huge if set up the right way. Select smaller livestock and hardscape in the right way and you would never know how small these things really are.

Do you happen to know what you would be selling these for currently? If you don't have current numbers, don't sweat it, I'm not in the market right now, it is more out of curiosity. I don't really see people carrying the 5 way, just the 3 way ones and the online vendors that are carrying them are asking astronomical prices. Someone has them on Amazon for $89. I could probably build a Mr Aqua 12G long type of tank with low iron for that much.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
aquaful
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I sell the 5-way for $32 but I have to spend $500 minimum to have it delivered to myself so it'll be a while for me to need that much stuff, since I ordered from them recently.
aquaful is online now   Reply With Quote