Phantom Glass Cats
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-14-2004, 01:11 PM   #1
cruizer
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cruizer Send a message via MSN to cruizer Send a message via Yahoo to cruizer

Anyone know anything about these fish? Do they stress really easily?

I bought 3 this last saturday (with a 9 day guarantee). When I got them home, they were whitish (which the lady at the fish store said they would be, they turn white when stressed). They also weren't moving much, just kinda laying there. I got them into the tank, and they swam around, found a nice spot, and just kinda layed there. By saturday evening, one of them was swimming around, but hiding behind the plants, they other two had moved, but still, just kinda lying there. Sunday night, they all were swimming, in different part of the tank, hiding behind plants. I figured them to have been stressed out, but otherwise OK. But it seems every time I am doing something in the tank, I always find them just kinda lying there. I had my hand it in monday, removing dead plants. They were just lying there. I though they were dead, so I went to grab them, and they all swam away to another spot, and just lyed there! Yesterday, I did a water change, I notice the same thing, they were just lying there, again, thought they were dead. Went to grab them, and boom, off they shoot, the went an lyed down somewhere else!

Any thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2004, 03:37 PM   #2
urbanspectrum
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had a group of 6 glass cats, (think these are the same thing) in my tank. they seem to like to hide in my plants and seem to stay in a tight school. from what I know about them they like to be in large groups, the LFS had about 40 of em in their tanks, (really cool looking display)
but Ive never seen mine turn a shade of white, for the most part they are totaly clear.
now Ive never seen mine lay on the bottom of the tank, even when I brought them home they where very active.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:29 PM   #3
compulsion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to compulsion

urban your right they do like to be in groups, and they are magnificent to see when in groups of 30 or more. if only my poop lfs would stock them
2.7WPG 160W 10,000k 5xNO T8's
Sand+Eco Clay, CSM+B Baby Steps + Pres.Co2
compulsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:30 AM   #4
Clone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

I have two adult glass cats and two juveniles. The Juveniles suspend themselves in thick plantings. The adults lay on the gravel under my crypts and you would think they are dead or dying but when the lights turn off they are immediately out looking for food. The adults have been laying on the gravel for over a year.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:20 PM   #5
cruizer
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cruizer Send a message via MSN to cruizer Send a message via Yahoo to cruizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone
I have two adult glass cats and two juveniles. The Juveniles suspend themselves in thick plantings. The adults lay on the gravel under my crypts and you would think they are dead or dying but when the lights turn off they are immediately out looking for food. The adults have been laying on the gravel for over a year.
That's exactly what mine do! Just lay there. I am kinda disapointed because the LFS said in groups of 3 or more they would stay out of hiding. So I bought 3!

Thanks for the info!