Thatgmc's Medium-tech Medium Budget 45G
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-11-2014, 05:46 AM   #1
thatgmc
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Thatgmc's Medium-tech Medium Budget 45G

Objective:
I will keep this tank updated with pictures and commentary as often as possible. I hope this journal will help others who are in pursuit of similar style of fish/plant keeping.

Aquarium History:
I have had numerous planted tanks for the last 10 years. My very first comprised of all equipment bought at petco. At age 16 I worked at an aquarium store in Monrovia, CA. At about 18 I started my first nano reef. A year and a 50g breeder later, I was heavily involved in the Acan hype-era. I built many contacts through nano-reef and reefcentral that gave me access to wholesalers in Gardena, CA. From there I was very active in frag swaps across southern Cali. As college got more busy, I strayed away from reefing and got into the nature aquarium style fish keeping. I have never, in my mind, gotten a fish tank to exactly where I wanted it. Never got to where I was like "Ok, this is what I was going for, I'm satisfied." I think thats part of the addiction to this hobby. Alright, enough of the crap..

Vision:
I recently moved out to Chicagoland for my first job and figured it was time to start a new tank. I was familiar with Mr. Aqua products but could not find a retailer that carried their line. So I found a slightly used rimless tank from glasscages on craigslist. The measurements are perfect on it and it was, in my mind at the time, just big enough for 2-3 discus. However, the more research I do, the more I'm beginning to think it is not big enough for discus considering how much water parameters will fluctuate in such a small volume. I will be adding a school of smaller fish for sure. Maybe cardinals, maybe galaxy rasboras.

This is the hard part. Hardscaping. Any tips would help. Im getting a box of manzanita branches soon but I just wanted to mess around with an all rock scape. Couldn't wait to get my tank setup!!!

Equipment:
DIY Stand and Light bar
GlassCages Tank: 36"L x 18"W x 16"H
2 LED Flood lights from
Amazon Amazon
3 9L Amazonia and 1 9L Amazonia Powder
~30 lbs Seiryu

Last edited by thatgmc; 06-05-2014 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: added equipment list
thatgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Turxiat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looking great! I'm getting ready to do a rimless 2ft cube in a very similar way. Planning to get the tank from glasscages as well. Are the seams nice and clean on yours? As for discus just wait until you've got your tank parameters nice and steady. If you know you can control the water params then they shouldn't be a problem. They really aren't too bad so long as you can manage the water changes and all (or just go mega planted like I did in my 240g, helps ALOT with water quality). Have you thought about increasing the systems water volume with a sump?

Last edited by Turxiat; 05-11-2014 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: addition
Turxiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:38 AM   #3
thatgmc
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turxiat View Post
Looking great! I'm getting ready to do a rimless 2ft cube in a very similar way. Planning to get the tank from glasscages as well. Are the seams nice and clean on yours? As for discus just wait until you've got your tank parameters nice and steady. If you know you can control the water params then they shouldn't be a problem. They really aren't too bad so long as you can manage the water changes and all (or just go mega planted like I did in my 240g, helps ALOT with water quality). Have you thought about increasing the systems water volume with a sump?
The silicone work is very good. Although the glass for my tank is a little thick and the green is starting to bother me. Thinkin I should have went with a low-iron tank. Oh well, for my budget this was perfect.

I really do not want to drill this tank. I've done it before but this glass is like 3/8" and I dont trust myself enough haha.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:46 AM   #4
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Sup Broski! Nice start to the build man. I'm working on a 60 gallon breeder with similar dimensions. Gonna drill it though XD First time ever drilling a tank. A little scared lol. But I have the drill bit, just gotta finish replacing the front panel with starphire glass.

As far as the scape goes, I think that would look sick as an all rock tank, but just wait for the manzy man. Can't go wrong with seiryu and manzy makes for a baller tank.
What sort of flora do you plan on working with?
Joshua
pianofish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:49 AM   #5
thatgmc
Planted Member

Quick Update
Ordered a huge amount of emersed HC from tenzero1. Appreciate it man! Couldn't wait to plant even without my wood here. Put some powder Amazonia on the base and went at it. Kind of regretting not putting enough substrate now at the lower places but it should be ok. Hopefully my wood comes in and i'll be able to do a full scape sometime this week.

Also, placed an order for a sunsun filter on amazon. Planning to do the bulk of my tank work this week! WOO

Old 05-12-2014, 04:06 AM   #6
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Planting looks good man! Are you going to just place the wood with your current scape or redo it completely?
pianofish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:26 AM   #7
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

tbh, I don't even think you need wood, ya know?

doing co2 as well I presume yah? what plants and fish you thinking about?
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:58 AM   #8
thatgmc
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
Planting looks good man! Are you going to just place the wood with your current scape or redo it completely?

Yeah it's going to be branchy manzy so depending what they look like maybe I can tie some fissidens or weeping moss. I'll prob just add onto it with the wood flowing towards the right since the tank sits in a corner.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:02 AM   #9
thatgmc
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
tbh, I don't even think you need wood, ya know?

doing co2 as well I presume yah? what plants and fish you thinking about?

Yeah I like this look and I'll prob play around with the wood to see what options I have. If I incorporate wood I feel like I can add more different types of fauna too. More natural look instead of carpet mountain scape.

Yeah I'm talking to bettatail right meow about a setup. I want the option to have two co2 outputs because I can already feel the spiral towards NTS right now.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:32 AM   #10
thatgmc
Planted Member

Default Thatgmc's 45G Rimless Tank

I think I like the second one. Picked up some wood from manzanita burl works. Great deal for $59 shipped. I have like 6-7 branches left over. Guess I'll have to start another tank

Just messing around with the idea right now. Still want to make sure my hc is nice and rooted.

^thats the most recent update. Another piece that pokes out will have to wait for now.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:26 AM   #11
thatgmc
Planted Member

Old 05-31-2014, 09:43 PM   #12
180g
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

nice tank!
180g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:20 AM   #13
thatgmc
Planted Member

Old 06-05-2014, 02:22 AM   #14
thatgmc
Planted Member

Water clearing up. Added some blyxa. Tied some Taiwan moss in random places. Not sure about what the plant in the back is to be honest. Gonna stick with this for a few weeks. Not really completely happy with the layout so far...
Old 06-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #15
Ashok
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

It's a great start!
Ashok is online now   Reply With Quote